The Central Park Five - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Central Park Five Reviews

½ February 16, 2016
A detailed documentary showing the how the lives of five innocent black and Latino teenagers were damaged by the US criminal (in)justice system.
January 30, 2016
For fans of Making A Murder, Serial, and those interested in the flaws of the American law and justice systems. Genuinely made me sad at several parts but I was uplifted by the ability of the human spirit to stay true through the toughest trials and tribulations.
December 4, 2015
In 1989, five black and Latino teenagers were arrested and charged for brutally attacking and raping a white female jogger in Central Park. News media swarmed the case, calling it "the crime of the century." But the truth about what really happened didn't become clear until after the five had spent years in prison for a crime they didn't commit.
December 1, 2015
Central park five is a really sad documentary and is full with emotions. Ken burns did a really good job because this documentary was one of the best I had ever watch. When I saw this documentary my eyes were getting watery. This documentary teaches me that if you dont did something you still pay those consequences and the polices don't believe us. We need to stop descriminating people with out knowing what really happend. Some People discriminated this five teenager just because of the way they look or they were dressed. This five teenagers were in prison for tweleve years paying other people crime.This five teenagersvwent tru a lot in jail. I recommend this book because is really good abd you will easily feel in love loke I did and other people did.

recommend this documentary because In
November 30, 2015
In 1989, five black and Latino teenagers were arrested and charged for brutally attacking and raping a white female jogger in Central Park. News media called the case "the crime of the century." But the truth about what really happened didn't become clear until after the five had spent years in prison for a crime they didn't commit.n
November 29, 2015
Central park five is a greatly informative movie. If not only showed us the faults with the justice system and how unfairly these five boys where treated, but also on the great racial problems during this time period. I feel like more details could have been added on how these boys grew up in jail and maybe even a comment from trisha. She might not have remembered at the time but after this treturse event she got proved that she was strong. She wrote a book and has kept running, she's in wonderful health so it makes me wonder if Ken burns reached out to jer. I feel more could have been heard from the men not just the beginning but also in the middle where it seems there is only comments from detectives. I also would have likes to hear some comments or the perspective of the perpetrators against him, even if it seemed unlikely for them to speak out it would make the documentry much better. Although, all in all the documentry was wonderful and a great learning recourse.
½ November 28, 2015
This documentary on the arrest of these five innocent boys is incredible. This documentary shows the side of a case in 1989 that no one believed showing to us just how flawed our justice system could be, yet still deny being incorrect. Showing the perspective of each incriminated teen takes you through a journey until you find the real perpetrator. In this documentary you got to see what was happening to the whole city at the moment and how one thing can lead to the other. in the end this proves that everything is in a chain reaction.
November 28, 2015
This film is very interesting film and its very specific with their details. This film shows how sometimes the justice system doesn't do their best to find who is the real criminal. Most of the time racial status is an impact on how they handle the crime and this film does portray how the racial status effects the whole crime.
October 13, 2015
Another sad case of the justice system failing and imprisoning 5 innocent young men.
½ September 28, 2015
I really wanted to love this raw and extremely emotional documentary, in which we spend most of our time with the falsely accused rapists of a shocking crime in the late 80's, in which a female jogger was brutally raped and almost killed, in what some would say is one of New York's biggest criminal scandal. The truth is however, that as human and raw as the piece is, it is ultimately far to long and lacking in simple focus. The film kicks in around the 2 hour mark and although this may seem like your getting more content for your buck, Central Park Five really plods along for the first hour at a snails pace, I understand it is taking time to set the scene and give us a human insight into the 5 boys, wrongfully accused of the disgusting crime, but it goes over board, leaving the first hour feeling like your watching a drunk piss into the wind. Luckily however the 2nd hour comes into its own and finally finds the solidity it needs to actually make you sit up and pay attention. The problem with this documentary is that it doesnt seem to known what it wants to be, are we having a look at the American justice system, are we looking at mob mentality, are we looking at the lives of the men who were imprisoned for a decade? It is quite okay for a film to touch all of these subjects and I wouldnt expect it any other way, however the film doesnt seem to know what its main message is, meaning we cant fully get behind its reasoning, which is a shame because there is a lot of powerful and controversial material in here to sink your teeth into, it just takes Central Park Five an hour to really begin to hone into what it wants to be. Worth a watch but I doubt we will be raving about it in years to come.
½ September 26, 2015
I didn't "enjoy" this in the strict sense of the word, and it made me pretty angry, but I think this is a valuable documentary.
September 13, 2015
Documentary detailing the wrongful conviction of five inner city youths by yet another set of law enforcement officers who's quest for results out stripped the need for justice. The picture is very well put together with great contributions from those involved and a powerful sense of time and place through a range of well sourced media.
June 22, 2015
Ken Burn's most emotional -- and important -- documentary ever. At the end you will question the media, police, prosecutors -- who I hope have resigned and ended their careers -- and the city of New York. Why did this happen? Gut-wrenching film showing the racial divide of this country.
March 15, 2015
I have grown to believe that trailers include the best parts of the entire film, however, this documentary taught me otherwise. This documentary was long, but every part was necessary for it to be such an interesting documentary. Throughout watching "The Central Park Five" I constantly grew a level of suspense because I always wanted to know what will occur next. In addition, the black and white film and newspaper articles was a constant reminder of the time period, but it also allowed me to realize that cops abusing their power and individuals being accused for things because they were "at the wrong place at the wrong time" is still happening today, and by the looks of it, this insanity won't end anytime soon. Also, the ability to include actual footage from the time period as well from the incident makes it more interesting because you begin to grow a level of sympathy for those that were excused. I am from New York City, and I have never been a fan of Central Park because it was huge not because I thought it was a park for only "White" people. Being falsely accused and being obligated to pay the consequences for someone else's actions leads to one freedom being taken away. The police have so much power and abuse it that we don't believe it is right to correct them when they are wrong. The men who were accused were able to be interviewed and state their opinion once the individual who killed the woman confessed his behavior. This film explicitly demonstrates the actions of those in power and makes us question our stand in our society. Are we really able to stand up or for ourselves? Am I able to state my opinion without punishment?
March 15, 2015
This documentary, is my favorite by far! so eye opening, I experienced anger and frustration while watching but I also needed to grab my kleenex. It was a long film, but I couldn't stop watching. You'll experience that need to find out what happened next. Such a powerful film and I think everyone should see!
March 15, 2015
The Central Park Five was fascinatingly infuriating because it shows just how influential the media can be on a case. In a time where Central Park was considered a place of peace in a schizophrenic city, the case of the Central Park Jogger became a cause of great concern to the public and consequently, a test of the police force. The NYPD was under a great deal of pressure to catch the person responsible for this terrible crime. The massive public pressure caused the police to virtually discard not only their code of ethics as authorities, but morality as people as well, leading them to coax false confessions out of the five teens. This case shed an awful light on all of the authorities involved from the police and prosecutors, to the politicians and the media. Each of the people involved seem to have been so intent on retribution that they lost their sense of compassion and rationality. The police and prosecutors coerced false confessions from the teens and dismissed all other evidence; the media took advantage of the public's desire for a convicted person and didn't ask the necessary questions when the facts were contradictory; it was also shown that Ed Koch, the mayor of New York City at the time, had declared the teens guilty before they were even convicted. There were parts of the confessions where I find it difficult that anyone could've actually believed them to be true. Not only did all of the confessions contradict each other, but also Korey Wise's confession tape especially comes to mind as unbelievable. It was as if he was being fed lines to say and then when he was shown the picture of Trisha Meili's beaten face, the sound of shock that Wise emits doesn't make sense for someone who allegedly watched the event occur. I think the film is compelling because this time the audience gets to see the case from the perspective of the wrongfully accused, whereas it was previously portrayed solely by the media. By the end of the film I felt angry and unprotected, because if the people that are responsible for my protection are only interested in protecting themselves, there is no way to overcome an adversary as fierce as the corrupt American justice system. This is especially clear when the system is proven wrong, but refuses to show contrition for the wrongful actions or to make amends for said actions, as was the case of the Central Park Five.
½ March 13, 2015
The film "Central Park Five" a documentary film based on events that took place in 1989. The message of the film was to convey the fact that the original five suspects who were put in prison for years of their youth for the rape of Trisha Meili were innocent and that their confessions were forced out of them by the New York Police Department. The videotaped confessions of the boys, shown in the film, were clearly scripted in order to put together a story that would incriminate the boys. In the interviews, it was clear that they were being forced to say what they were saying out of sheer fright. The authorities convinced the boys that everything would be okay if they just said what the authorities wanted to hear. They were confused young teenagers who were being convicted of a crime they didn't know had happened before the authorities showed up to their homes. The boys ended up reciting the stories that had been given to them by the authorities, thus convicting them of the crime. The five men were interviewed for the film, and their interviews are shown throughout the entire film. The emotions in this film are extremely high due to the obvious manipulation and racism, which took place during the events, and also because of the interviews of the men who come off as more humble and philosophical than resentful. Newspaper headlines, crime scene footage, and statements from the authorities are also included in the film. The film does a great job connecting to the audiences' emotions while telling the heart-wrenching story of the Central Park Five.
February 13, 2015
Wow! Gut wrenching and so much more.
February 13, 2015
Riveting would be the word I would use to describe this documentary. When I heard Ken Burns was involved, I immediately wanted to see it. Fortunately, our local theater had a special screening otherwise it would not have been shown in our area. Shortly after seeing the film, I attended a lecture featuring Michelle Alexander author of the book "The New Jim Crow." Her speaking about mass incarceration of minority youths coupled with the true story behind Central Park Five would give anyone pause if asked to evaluate our criminal justice system.
½ January 19, 2015
In the film, Antron McCray states that the truth will come out. It did come out. In the meantime these boys suffered injustice. These boys suffered an injustice that could easily be experienced in 2015. In the news we hear of places like Ferguson and present day New York. We hear of police overstepping their bounds when it comes to interrogating. We hear of police brutality. There are those who say when you raise these issues you are speaking against the very same people who are there to protect you. That is far from the truth. Anybody who speaks out against these abuses are merely against those who are overstepping their authority. The vast majority of police are heroes. The vast majority of police are people we should be looking up to.