The Chateau - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chateau Reviews

December 15, 2013
same ole same ole not very funny
March 7, 2013
Graham" (Paul Rudd) and his adopted, African-American brother (Romany Malco) go to France to claim a chateau they have inherited from an uncle they don't know.

The two meet the staff of the place, and there is an immediate language barrier and culture clash.

Now, the two have to figure out what to do with the place.

The first thing you can't help notice is that the film itself is very grainy. In fact, at times, I felt like I was watching video transferred to film. At other times, I felt as if the footage was a lot older than it is.

However, there are some good performances in this film. But, some interaction was hard to believe. There was probably some problems in the writing of the scenes, because this script was far from perfect. The two leads did a pretty good job,and many times appeared to be more friends than adoptive brothers.

If I am not mistaken, this movie is suppose to be a comedy. When you have people speaking two different languages with no way of being able to understand one another, it can be funny -- if the script is done properly. This movie missed many times to take advantage of this problem. If the two lead Americans were more comical, then they could have made the scenes a lot more funny. They completely missed making them understandable to the French funnier.

Another problem was the weakly written romantic subplot. I felt little to no chemistry between the ones involved in this plot device.

Another problem with this film is that it mostly takes place in the chateau and its grounds. We get a couple of scenes on a train and at a train station, but we never get to meet anybody who lives near the place. They never even go to a nearby village where the two Americans could have gone to for whatever reason, lose their French-English dictionary and tried to ask for directions back. I just could not laugh at anything in this film.

The soundtrack is completely forgettable. I can only recall two or three songs in the entire movie, and most were during the closing credits.

The only thing interesting in this movie is when a particular character reveals himself to the Americans. However, with the poor writing of the film, they barely go anywhere with this plot twist.

I just can not recommend this movie. But, check it out when it is on HBO -- when you're really desperate to see a movie.
½ October 22, 2012
I felt like it started in the middle.
½ August 15, 2012
most people haven't heard of the movie- go out and watch
July 1, 2012
maybe I'll see it one day when I run out of paul rudd movies
January 11, 2012
The Chateau is a little oddity that was largely improvised. That accounts for the film's multiple tones, and the awkwardness in which it shifts between them, but it also provides some really funny bits and an air to itself that is both charming and fresh. The film is chock full of flaws, but it's so fun and different that I just couldn't help enjoying myself all the way.
October 27, 2010
This is a movie that grew on me. When I first watched it I thought, WTF? But by the second time I had gotten used to the poor quality of the film enough to appreciate its humor and situations. The poor quality of the cinematography can actually work in your favor if you let it. Rather than expecting to be dazzled by something that spans the course of many years, The Chateau takes place over a very short period of time and causes you to feel like you're right there with the people who are living their lives. It's easy to forget its a movie at all. It seems instead like a poorly shot reality TV show. If you can swallow that, you may be able to find the hidden genius in The Chateau.
½ September 14, 2010
One of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen
½ August 5, 2010
Paul Rudd at his most adorable? It might be the glasses. Also this movie made me realize my french isn't THAT terrible. Although in comparison to Paul Rudd that is not saying much.
December 1, 2009
I found it to be a likable film, in spite of the lackluster reviews. Sylvie Testud is charming and has such an interesting face. Paul Rudd is fine as well. It has a very natural style that works well for the film. It's unusual and not predictable.
November 12, 2009
its really not as bad as the other reviews make it seem. its a cool little movie. paul rudd & romany malco are funny as always, but its just more restrained than their usual stuff.
October 13, 2009
thought it would be funnier. barely made it to the end, and once I did - I wished I hadn't wasted my time.
½ July 30, 2009
I have to give this film one and a half stars due to several reasons. One being how boring and dull it was. It is supposed to be a Comedy but it wasn't very funny...it'll make you laugh a few times and that's it. It is more of a weird indie film than a Comedy. Another problem I had with this film was the direction. The camera is always at bad angles and the picture is horrible. The picture is always grainy...I think that would be something that the director intended to do but it was a very bad move. It made him look like an ammature which he might be because I've never even heard of Jesse Peretz before. He doesn't look like an ammature just because of the picture though because the angles he used were bad as well and the camera always moving too much. It isn't a Horror movie...it is a Comedy! So, there is no need for the constant movement. This is just an overall bad movie that could have been a lot better. I don't blame the actors for the failure of this film but the director and writer.
½ June 19, 2009
Alright, the end was pretty good, but the rest wasn't funny beyond a few lost-in-translation jokes and the quality was low, along with the acting.
May 2, 2009
It wasn't all that funny, and I wasn't impressed with the acting or the story. It didn't really have a point, and the end was just stupid. I wouldn't recommend this.
January 31, 2009
I usually like the movies that Paul Rudd are in, but this one I could not wait until it was over. I thought it was rather dull and stupid and it felt like it dragged on forever. Not a movie that I wish to see again. I think I laughed a couple of times, but it was not enough to save this movie.
December 2, 2008
It was alright, but too slow and the film quality wasn't high enough.
½ November 30, 2008
An ok movie that is entertaining and funny at times and then just boring at other.
½ November 26, 2008
Very funny...Romany Malco is hilarious
November 14, 2008
Interesting but felt a little long. Maybe it was the subtitles or the grainy film/dim lighting but it made me sleepy.