The Cherry Orchard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cherry Orchard Reviews

June 1, 2017
This adaptation of The Cherry Orchard is a bit too tedious to recommend.
December 15, 2016
Look at the cast has anyone ever even heard of these people????
½ February 9, 2016
good version of the chekhov classic
February 6, 2015
great play about the rich being so out of touch with life,
November 22, 2012
Absolutely shocking!
jjnxn
October 28, 2012
Charlotte Rampling is a wonderful actress and Alan Bates was a great actor but this adaptation of Chekhov moves at a crawl and just isn't compelling.
½ February 22, 2010
I'm hoping this is a not very good introduction to Mr. Chekov's work, because I found all of the dialogue overdone and hammy to the point of being embarrassing. Brilliant cast almost makes you believe it, but by the time Charlotte Rampling clasped a hand to her face and moaned, "If ONLY I could forget my PAST!" I was ready to go away. So I did. I'll settle the blame on the director instead of the playwright, and call it a day.
½ May 28, 2009
A reasonable interpretation of the work, but lacking in enough true drama to keep the audience engaged. There are flashes of beautiful camera work, but for the most part it watches like a play with little consideration to its new medium. It was hard to not think of Melanie Lynskey as 'Rose' from Two and a Half Men, though she at least added a little humour to the dryness.
January 23, 2009
I cannot believe I have not seen this yet! Well...there are so many great films out there and o so little time to watch them all!
½ January 4, 2009
What, no happy ending?
November 2, 2008
Michael Cacoyannis' version of "The Cherry Orchard" (originally titled "Varya" after one of the main characters), is better than Lumet's film largely because it's better acted in general. But the direction is sometimes fussy, sometimes leaden - the pacing becomes more and more turgid as the film progresses. The final 40 minutes or so become very tedious. Plus there's an unnecessary prologue in Paris - an obvious attempt to open up the play, but it goes on much too long.
July 31, 2008
Gerry is a very bad boy!
July 7, 2008
I must admit I am not a huge fan of Chekhov's work. I wanted to be able to rate this film higher because of the outstanding cast (including my favorite actor, Gerard Butler). Unfortunately, it dragged miserably. :-(
½ June 19, 2008
Gerry plays such a silly part and I don't think I enjoyed this movie as much as I thought I would. Would I see it again? Not too sure.
June 15, 2008
it is an excellent movie.director has dramatize anti thesis and incongruity of characters
½ February 1, 2008
This was a quite decent film version of the play.
October 25, 2007
Wow, was this terrible.
July 24, 2007
This play does go on, doesn't it? I mean, we watch these people totally ignore their situation, unto holding a party while their home is being auctioned out from under them, and nothing happens. They dance and play billiards and walk in the cherry orchard. They argue, often about nothing fathomable, and they ignore everything important that happens around them.

Terry Pratchett parodied the various works of Anton Chekov in [i]The Fifth Elephant[/i], the work tonight's title is paraphrased from. One of the three sisters was plotting savage murder on the cherry orchard. That would have made the story interesting. (That's on, mind; it was the trees she was after, not someone under them. Though either way would have been interesting, really.) However, if the library has a version of [i]The Three Sisters[/i], I don't think I'll be bothering with it.

Chekov died 103 years ago this month. There's a fair bit more talk of sex, politics, and gender-bending (though I don't know if that's in the play, to be fair) in this than one would expect from an English play of the same time--that wasn't Oscar Wilde, I suppose, Oscar having died 30 November, 1900.

I don't get this play. The movie's quite good, if you can make sense of it. The cherry orchard is clearly intended to be deeply symbolic, but I'm not sure what it's symbolic [i]of[/i]. I think it varies from character to character; to Ranyevskaya, it's family and history, to surly merchant guy, it's wealth and power. To the audience, it's confusion and rambling.

A review on IMDB suggests that I would like the play better. I, for one, am inclined to doubt. After all, the [i]words[/i] are the same, and the words are half the problem. I don't care enough about these people to care about this movie.
July 12, 2007
I still can't get over the fact that they credited Gerry as "Gerald Butler"
June 30, 2007
Take my favorite author (Chekhov) and my favorite play (Cherry Orchard) and one of my favorite actresses (Rampling) and ruin the whole thing by missing Chekhov's humor. Such a shame.