The Citizen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Citizen Reviews

½ December 11, 2014
"The Citizen" is an interesting story about the increased racism again Arab immigrants following the September 11th attacks. The film makes some poignant statements through its likeable main character and a well-written script. The writers do a good job of introducing seemingly insignificant characters and events that become important later in the film. Khaled El Nabawy delivers a nice performance as he carries the film from start to finish. I will admit, the line delivery is sometimes overly cheesy and the acting isn't anything to write home about, but the film achieves its goal by bringing attention to the unfair discrimination against innocent Arabs. The highlight of the film is Cary Elwes' portrayal of the immigration lawyer as he delivers an impassioned monologue in defense of the main character. While I wouldn't rank this film above average, it is definitely worth watching for its important moral lesson.
½ February 22, 2014
You should really see this movie. It is very intriguing. The main character Khaled Nabawy was incredible. I also love the friendship between Agnes Bruckner and Khaled. It's about a guy who is at the wrong place at the wrong time. The wrong time being around 9/11.
September 25, 2013
Good performance for Khaled, but the movie lacks many
February 18, 2014
I liked the movie. However, there were some plot points that I thought were a bit unbelievable. But overall it was pretty good and interesting.
½ January 17, 2014
As a filmmaker I wouldn't really go into the artistic choices of the Director/DOP/Actors but what is remarkable about this film, and because I am Arab I know this very well, the film is the first to portrait the true Arab values, Help others no matter what and be good to people and so on. all though it contains the somewhat cliche nowadays which is Arabs accused of terror in America no matter who they are. Khaled you've made us Egyptians proud.
January 5, 2014
Great movie.You can see Netflix.
½ January 5, 2014
Um bocado de furos, atuações facas e muito mal montado. É um filme ruim, sem dúvidas, mas de vez em quando vale a pena ver um final feliz, por mais brega que isso possa parecer.
January 5, 2014
Very Nice Film :) >> USA From another vieW .. and how the low in democrtice country is brave and fair ..... goood time with this film
½ December 23, 2013
A made for TV drama of an idealistic Arab trying to become an American citizen.
September 27, 2013
Tired and worn out immigrant's saga with a 9/11 hook that isn't compelling.
December 19, 2013
the American dream falls apart
November 26, 2013
The story was a bit weak and predictable. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, but it dragged on, and the problem was the characters were not that interesting that you wanted the story to drag on...
November 17, 2013
It's movies like this that make you love the art of film. You can't help but feel saddened at how racism and hatred can destroy people's lives but believing that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.
½ October 9, 2013
This movie was fabulous. Strong character development, bits of humour to relieve some of the stress of the plot. It's not necessarily probable but seems at least plausible that this kind of situation Ibrahim finds himself in could happen. It shows the challenges of being "different" in this country while simultaneously illustrating the beauty of an optimistic outlook. The way the U.S. government is portrayed is definitely believable although their side of the court case is rather weak. There wasn't enough "is he actually going to get booted out of this country" angst to make the relief of outcome truly great. The relationship between the two main characters is a little difficult to believe at first but as it progresses through the stages of friendship it's completely understandable the way the movie ends. I would say that this is definitely a movie worth watching, and certainly worth the ticket price to the theater if you can find it.
September 25, 2013
Just came back from the movie premier and I have to say, what an amazing movie. The reviews and accolades are wonderful, but don't do the movie justice. A gem of a movie, well written, excellent story and the cast is spectacular. We'll done guys
½ December 22, 2012
I was there at the sell out screening at the Boston Film festival. The film had a few rounds of applause during the screening. Very inspiring movie with an excellent cast. I strongly recommend it.
½ September 21, 2012
I watched it in Abu Dhabi Film Festival, It's like watching "My Name is Khan", "Hammam in Amsterdam" & "Patch Adam" all 3 in 1... Khaled Nabawy wasn't that good in playing his role, but anyway the Directing was great...
October 9, 2012
If this is anti terrorism then yes, if it's not then no.
August 26, 2012
It has a great story line. I can't wait to see it.