The Clinic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Clinic Reviews

½ October 10, 2016
I don't know what it says about the horror fest when I think that this is the best movie I've seen all month. And I know that that sounds really derogatory towards this film, but I really don't mean it that way. It's more that the other films really haven't been up to snuff. I wouldn't call this a good movie, technically speaking. But I found that the concept itself led to some pretty cool horror moments. Though, of course, I'm not trying to suggest that the concept itself is really all that unique and it doesn't really explore its themes and ideas about as well as they could Basically, these women, all pregnant and having their babies forcibly removed from their bodies, are being hold hostage as part of this 'evaluation process' by this secret society/group who sell their children to wealthy couples who can give them a "good" home and future. So, really, basically, these people want to see which one of women has the strongest genes that would produce a strong child. There are elements of this movie that are clearly borrowed from others, like the secret society aspect of it from Hostel. Though there are also elements of another movie that I saw that came after this with Zoe Bell, I can't remember the name of it, but I know it had women held hostage made to fight each other to the death for the amusement of the wealthy who can afford to do these things. I just really can't tell what held the movie back. Like it's one that has all the ingredients to, at the very least, a solid movie. But I never felt that it got there. And I think the answer to the question can be seen in a blurb on here, by Scott Weinberg I think, and that's the fact that it takes itself a little too seriously for it to be a fun horror movie and parts of it are too silly for it to be somewhat scary. I would assume that the silly parts he is referring to is the reveal of this society and what they do and the fact that the protagonist was sold as a baby as part of one of these 'contests'. I guess I can see how that might be a little silly, but I didn't really seem to mind it honestly. Plus it does lead to a satisfying conclusion when the protagonist, whose name I have forgotten, finally does fight back against the person that put her in this situation. But, again, all of this never really adds up to make an entertaining movie. It's just tonally inconsistent, but it's not a bad movie in the slightest. It's just average at best with some fairly solid performances. Nothing you need to go out of your way to see, but perfectly fine if you're looking for something quick and easy to watch.
½ June 3, 2016
"We're almost out of gas" - It's fuckin' petrol!
"Do you like candy?" - It's fuckin' lollies!

Can we please just let Australians speak Australian? Or just... Not American.

Still not a bad bit o' horror.
FiLmCrAzY
March 8, 2015
A unique and original premise but falls at the first hurdle. A non-suspenseful horror that should never have been born.
October 24, 2014
not too impressed with this
½ October 19, 2014
nowt like saw
poor imitation + if your looking for Scare's this is not the film lol
½ March 27, 2014
An indie horror movie from Australia wherein someone is stealing pregnant women and surgically removing the babies. Tabrett Bethell was strong in her lead role as a mother who would not give up the chance to save her baby. Decent blood and gore effects and above average acting. Disgusting premise, but it is a horror film so almost anything goes.
½ September 15, 2013
This movie was fucked up. I had trouble stomaching it, due to my gut-wrenching sympathy for those women and the fate of their children in the hands of sick people who would kill to have a child.
July 7, 2013
Very good film. Different from all other films of its type. Pregnant mothers taken and babies removed from their wombs. several mums pitted against each other to get their babies back with a cruel twist at the climax of the film. virtually unknown cast but delivered very well. heart wrenching in places but gripping till the last.
May 23, 2013
This movie was incredibly disturbing. Despite the wonderful acting however, it was obvious that this particular work had some organization and big picture issues. For example, you were only made aware of what time period the movie took place in when you saw the tombstone of Beth's mother. Also, her fiance is just killed off, like they just wanted him out of the way. A little all over the place!
½ April 24, 2013
pretty good horror movie.... new idea... nice acting......
½ March 20, 2013
Good enough for those who already miss Andy Whitfield, but they'll just miss him some more as he is only 20% present in the movie!
January 26, 2013
Watched it on Netflix. Not a bad movie, I guess.
January 11, 2013
B+

This movie was very well acted, had some tense scenes, and it is also beautifully shot. Worth a watch if you really like dark thrillers/bloody horror movies!
December 20, 2012
it was an ok film, it was better than what I expected, it was an good movie but I don't think I'll want the film on DVD, it was an ok movie, it starred Tabrett Bethell and Andy Whitfield
December 12, 2012
I've hesitated watching this for a while, thinking the premise might upset me too much for me to find any entertainment here. It didn't upset me, but it didn't really entertain me either. I kinda tuned out when all the women who've just had (very amateur) c-sections started running around... and it's no wonder all those 'newborn' babies were so huge - they'd been glugging 9oz+ bottles... in short, it had too many tiny errors and plot holes for me to believe it. Nice idea, just not well executed.
December 5, 2012
It was incredibly tragic & quite depressing because the struggle was seemingly endless for Beth. I was pulling for her but loss surrounded her until the end of the movie.
½ November 22, 2012
Traveling through Australia on Xmas eve a couple stop off at a motel for the night. When the boyfriend comes back from going out for a stroll his pregnant girlfriend has gone missing. Soon when she wakes up things are not as they seem and something is missing and she must find it before its too late
½ October 22, 2012
Sometimes a film just has to state 'inspired by true events', and it already becomes creepy. The fact that this one says that, and then proceeds to show 6 pregnant women being abducted and having their babies removed is just disturbing. To see them then turning on one another in order to find out the identity of their own child..........well that's just Mother Nature .............until they start stabbing each other with scalpels that is. For it then to reveal that this is just part of an adoption agency selection process for potential parents, that just takes it to another level - where on earth did these events happen in real life...... the same place that people bid to kill each other in the 'Hostel' series?! Nevertheless, it's a concept that I haven't really witnessed before, and putting aside the true events label, it was entertaining to say the least (although not sure many pregnant women would agree). It's not excessively jumpy, nor over the top with gore, but simply plays to people's fears (especially mothers) using the realism factor. Was a little puzzled by the outcome of the husband in this one which seemed somewhat weak, ironically because it's the same actor that plays the invincible gladiator in the erotic 'Spartacus' series. Was this an attempted ploy at promoting the supposed stronger sex, and girl power? Nevertheless, a truly compelling viewing that offers something a little more original than most.
September 21, 2012
Reminded me of a 80's thriller/horror, which is no bad thing being an old school horror fan. Disturbing storyline with a cheeky bit of gore.