The Comedy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Comedy Reviews

½ November 19, 2014
As much as I hate to admit that Tim Heidecker has any semblance of talent, this was actually a pretty decent movie.
October 24, 2014
This one defies its low rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I thought The Comedy was actually a surprisingly poetic film. The title is clearly ironic, but I did laugh out loud a number of times. Don't let the characters here alienate you - as they might very well do. Swanson is a complex personality, and try as I might to understand him I am ultimately left with a sense of confused pity. He seems to have an incredible curiosity about life, but every time he is on the verge of some redeeming behavior his even more incredible ignorance takes over. Let's be clear, this is not about Swanson's generation. Rather, it is a timeless portrait of a certain type of personality that has been hopelessly warped by obscene privilege.
October 23, 2014
AMAZING! one of the best movies I've ever seen.
October 4, 2014
Buried behind the filth is some really intelligent meandering conversations that carry a lot of weight.
September 3, 2014
This movie makes a lot of great points but is bogged down by its incoherent plot.
August 2, 2014
if you like tim heidecker in tim and eric you probably won't like this ,ovie but I'm not saying you won't because i love tim and eric and i coudnt find much wrong with this movie it is just out of the tim and eric vibe because it seems really artsy and tim and his friends in the movie seem hipster so i wouldn't recommend it but i wouldn't "not"
take it like this if you wanna see tim heidecker in something else this is tim heidecker in something else
July 5, 2014
They really had a chance to tell an amazing story but they chose not to. and I'm a huge Tim Heidecker fan. Can't imagine how bad it must have been for a non-fan.
½ July 3, 2014
Sigh...this film is merely a character study of a man with nothing to do in life. While he gallivants around New York detached from real life we just sit and observe how tedious and boring the little moments in life can be. This film fills in those moments with our lead Swanson (Tim Heidecker) doing very peculiar things which may seem to be funny to some but completely ridiculous and stupid to most. The title The Comedy is ironic because while the film itself contains moments that might make you laugh, it really is pointing, (if anything, if this film can be considered this deep) to the unfortunate cover up or excuse for our degrading POV of our lives and our rising detachment from one another. It calls itself The Comedy as a way of masking the true reality of this, just as one might make jokes to lighten the blow of something horrifically depressing.
June 29, 2014
I guess these guys have worked together and I've seen their titles on shelves but never rented. The trailer to this was pretty fascinating so I gave it a spin.

Basically, Heidecker perfectly plays what we might call a hipster. His father is dying and leaving him behind a lot of money, so he can afford to just...exist. And he has the beard, unbuttoned colored shirt, crazy glasses, and says ridiculous shit. But he does it well in the movie. A horrific scene involves a young lady in the early stages of undress having a seizure in front of him...he just watches. As some imdb posters have said though, this is how this character is defined. Kinda brilliant.

Other than that, I wanted to give it a low rating because it's a completely pointless movie. Almost. But that's the point. So many in this generation live kind of pointless lives. And that's what this movie captures...kinda that hipster mindset where nothing really matters. And they did capture that pretty well.
½ April 24, 2014
gave up after 40 min or so.
April 10, 2014
This is the definition of a movie that's trying too hard. Just because you make everything a close up, talk about "quirky" things, and have all your actors naked every five minutes, doesn't make it worth watching.
½ March 24, 2014
Might be one of the best films to fully define the term "hipster".
A sharp critique of entitlement, but possibly " too soon".
½ March 17, 2014
loved it, thought it was a great character study
½ March 5, 2014
The message seems to be: living through sarcasm, irony, ans insincerity is an empty and vacuous existence. Or, hipsters are useless, purposeless assholes. This is an interesting concept but makes for joyless and mostly unrewarding viewing.
February 24, 2014
I absolutely loved this film. If you're into Tim and Eric's work, you would understand that the entire thing is a parody. It's a parody of the numerous subpar, trying-to-be-meaninful, redundant underground music soundtrack meets strange camera angles and no-name actor "independent films" that try to be something now-a-days. It's a joke: as the title suggests and perfectly aligns with the Tim and Eric sensibility, that parodies and highlights the foolishness in all mainstream and modern television and film today (just watch one episode of 'Great Job!' and you'll know what I'm talking about). Tim and Eric has an off-kilter sense of humor that is not well received by a lot of people: I happen to be one of the people that love their sense of humor: its cringe comedy. Anyone who thinks this film was meant to be powerful and moving is looking way too much into it. And the scene where they discuss the cleanliness of the homeless's genitalia? Hilarious.
½ February 22, 2014
A mean-spirited piece of mumblecore that tries to provoke you, but only succeeds in boring you. I say SKIP IT!!!
½ February 13, 2014
An alienating, ugly little indie film, The Comedy takes place in a world where wealthy, hard-partying bachelors are anything but glamorous, and though the film, like them, occasionally stumbles into new territory, it never finds much meaning in it.
½ February 2, 2014
A successful confrontation about the hollow futility of apathetic irony. Tim Heideker(sp?) nails this role. The lead character is unbearable. The whole movie is tedious. It isn't enjoyable, but that empty feeling, that disapproval, that's it working.
January 26, 2014
Andy Kaufman would've been proud.....I get the point but I just don't care.
½ January 13, 2014
A Uniquely Funny Film that pokes shit at wealthy hipster maggots for 94 minutes. The film is Thoroughly Different but also Thoroughly Enjoyable.