The Comedy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Comedy Reviews

January 26, 2014
Andy Kaufman would've been proud.....I get the point but I just don't care.
½ January 13, 2014
A Uniquely Funny Film that pokes shit at wealthy hipster maggots for 94 minutes. The film is Thoroughly Different but also Thoroughly Enjoyable.
January 6, 2014
I can see why this film gets the reaction it does; everything about it is designed to make you feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, I think it serves this film well. That's because, at the core, this movie is a dissection of the hipster mindset. It depicts the results of a life philosophy that puts itself above hard work or meaningful contribution to society.
½ November 6, 2013
Not all that funny or arty humorous.
October 21, 2013
Fantastic performance by Heidecker in a film that seems to hold a mirror up to this bleak and depressing generation.
½ October 20, 2013
I lasted about 10 minutes waiting for the fun to start. Thank goodness I didn't waste my time watching the rest of this.
½ October 17, 2013
The things that pass for character studies these days. I don't really get what they were going for with the title, some sort of hipster irony because the movie is devoid of any laughs whatsoever, or just going for a cute straightforward thing because they actually thought it was funny, but either way the movie is not good. Sometimes when I watch a movie I find myself thinking, "did they actually have a complete screenplay when they went into production? Was this an idea ANY of them were actually passionate about, or were they just anxious to make a movie and jumped on the first idea they had?" This was one of those times.
September 29, 2013
Insufferably boring and pointless
September 14, 2013
like Old Joy, but with more scatalogical references. nobody seems to like this movie at all, but I say its worth a watch.
August 30, 2013
Profound but overlong art film about hipsters. The message of the comedy is easy to see after 10 minutes and does little more than repeat itself for the rest of it's runtime. But that message is an important one about the nature of comedy, examining humor to the point that it disturbs and haunts the viewer especially if they can identify with it.
August 29, 2013
The only reason to watch this is Tim and Eric
August 6, 2013
A slow, boring, and just overall bad movie. There is hardly a story to it whatsoever and just consists mostly of Tim Heidecker walking around saying really unfunny, immature jokes. I understand that he is supposed to be a hipster, but he doesn't come off as that at all. He comes off as an annoying, unfunny drunk who has nothing better to do then tell really unfunny jokes. It has little plot development and really bored me throughout the entire thing.
July 30, 2013
I love this movie. Its disgustingly honest portrayal of an aging hipster who's full of self-loathing is very refreshing. The first time I watched it, I found some of the scenes too off-putting, but therein lies one of the main points: There are people out there who are like this, and people who have to deal with them from day to day. I see more of the real tragedy in this character every time I watch it. A brilliantly, brutally fresh film.
July 28, 2013
Brutal. Hard to watch at times. Also hugely depressing. Not quite sure what to think of it. Love Heidecker and Wareheim so was intrigued by this change of pace.
July 24, 2013
When you joke enough, you become the joke.
July 22, 2013
A pitch-black character study of a despicable, mean-spirited Brooklyn hipster that's as fascinating as it is revolting to watch. No, it's not a comedy, but it's extremely compelling.
July 20, 2013
Seems aimless, but I think it's a pretty interesting commentary. Worth the time - delves into the very disturbing.
½ July 11, 2013
A provocative look at the lives of post young adult hooligans. Beautiful and succinct.
July 6, 2013
Oftentimes boring and meandering, but with a flashes of genius. Reminds me of "Love Liza" or maybe "Lost in Translation" in some ways. The story follows an aging hipster in his pointless life around Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
July 4, 2013
The theme here is comedy and obnoxious sarcasm as a defense against malaise and a way of avoiding letting one's real feelings be known. It's an uncomfortable movie because the cause of Swanson's turmoil is unclear. If anything, the film seems like a mean-spirited attempt to show the sickness under the surface in the lives of young ironic/sarcastic hipster types.