The Competition - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Competition Reviews

April 6, 2018
I thought this was going to be one of those sort-of-cheesy/not-realistic, but still fun-to-watch romantic comedies. If that's what you're looking for, be cautious that this movie has very awkward, clunky writing, along with some scenes that go on for too long. The relationship between the characters seems forced though I'm sure the actors did the best they could with the script. The movie has a few light-hearted chuckles, but for the most part, it's just really not a good movie.
½ April 5, 2018
Fun rom-com but the film was a little to corny for me. Chris Klein over acts way to much but it was nice to see Thora Birch acting again.
April 2, 2018
I really hope that men in real life aren't as shallow as they are portrayed in the film.
March 29, 2018
Boring movie with a premise that, with good writing and better acting, should be fun and funny.
½ March 26, 2018
The story is decent. one think i hate the most is the music. it one of the worst music on movie i ever watch. it jumping in and out too fast and make me dizzy.
½ February 20, 2018
This is a must see for romantic comedy fans. The witty writing will make you laugh out and warm your heart. I enjoyed seeing Portland and the beautiful NW as the backdrop.
February 20, 2018
From the skydiving opening scene the RomCom takes you on some twists and turns as a proposition between lawyers transforms into an accidental romance. A competition of fidelity showing Thora Burch and Chris Klein infidelity and fidelity of life and in the end love.
½ February 17, 2018
Painful to watch. 2 main characters could not be more mismatched. I'm assuming this was an extremely low budget movie bc the only thing worse than the lack of chemistry was the main girls hair "styles".... hair dresser was not in the budget apparently. Serious oil and bed head happening. Showers not avail on set... Couldn't even finish the movie.
February 16, 2018
This film is genius - Not only for taking the complex and making it simple, but for the infectiously funny way the story is told!
February 15, 2018
Watch this movie if you want a good rom com! There is nothing to say but that!
½ February 7, 2018
The most boring movie I've seen in a looong time. Bad acting, from the beginning to the end....bad script, the plot..everything is terrible. A real time waster. Dont watch.
½ February 2, 2018
Loved Chris Klein's performance in this sweet movie! At first I was put off about the idea of tempting people to cheat, but the message in the end about love is very redeeming. Super cute!
January 31, 2018
Laugh out loud funny Rom-Com for debut actor/writer/producer, Kelsey Tucker. Nailed it.
½ January 30, 2018
Very well written! One of the best romantic comedies
I have ever seen!
January 29, 2018
Great show! Engaging from beginning to end. It's hard to believe this was a first for the writer. Nice to see Portland, Oregon on the big screen, too.
January 29, 2018
"The Competition" is a fun romantic comedy with a twist. Lauren (Thora Birch -- American Beauty, Ghost World) writes a blog, "The Pig Theory", that reflects her firm cynical, tragic and hopeless beliefs about romantic relationships. She explains to her latest love interest, Calvin (Chris Klein -American Pie, American Pie 2) how she never has a boyfriend longer than six months because, based on a mathematical equation she formulated, the likelihood of cheating increases from then on.
To prove her wrong, Calvin challenges her with a sort of "competition". They pick five friends in steady relationships. She will send each of them an attractive, alluring seducer and see if they will cheat or not. Best three out of five wins. While their competition tests the realities of human nature, Lauren and Calvin ultimately learn about themselves.
This is Kelsey Tucker's screenplay and acting debut. Her first time out shows great energy and cleverness. And she is funny. Her comedic timing puts her on a Bonnie Hunt-like potential of the triple threat: Acting , writing and producing.
January 29, 2018
My husband and I loved the movie! Kept you wondering what's going to happen next
January 29, 2018
Finally a romantic comedy that's actually funny and heartwarming. Chris Klein has still got it!! Loved him as the romantic lead and Thora is an amazing actress. The entire cast was excellent. I smiled through the whole movie. The filmmakers really made Portland shine. If you like love stories with laughs, you will love The Competition. If you liked the American Pie movies and American Beauty, this is a definite must-watch. It reminded me why movie audiences fell in love with Chris and Thora back in the good ol days of romantic comedies. They are so likeable and talented, their chemistry in this movie is great, what a fun watch! Loved it.
January 29, 2018
I liked the chemistry between the cast, it felt real. Thora and Chris had a unique and easily relatable way about them. Loved seeing The Oregon scenery especially Portland, what a beautiful place. The jokes didn't feel forced which makes it all the more funny. All in all, great writing and a Great Film.
January 29, 2018
A darling fun romcom. For any woman that's lived through the adventures of dating this is a refreshing look at romance from a feminine perspective. There are no damsels in distress or heartbroken montage of a woman desparetly trying to "get the guy"...Thora Birch plays a quirky, somewhat cynical pragmatist caught off guard by Chris Klein's endearing and eager yet unorthodox courtship that matches her wit for wit.
Since it's available Itunes, OnDemand, Amazon etc. this is the perfect curl up on the couch and cuddle up Sat night or Sunday afternoon treat. If a date night (Oor better yet, girls night out) is more your style it's in select theaters across the nation. Enjoy!