The Counterfeit Traitor Reviews

• Jan 28, 2020

Lilli Palmer plays an Allied agent in Nazi Germany and plays it convincingly. William Holden plays William Holden. Credibly. Good plot—believable with a grain of salt. Good screenplay and pacing—suspenseful in all the right spots.

• Jan 25, 2017

Perfectly paced spy thriller with plenty of tension throughout.

Perfectly paced spy thriller with plenty of tension throughout.

John B Super Reviewer
    Sep 08, 2015

I have seen all of the usual films that one sees of William Holden. This is a gem in the midst of what was considered to be his down period...a very interesting look at a industrialist turned spy and the impacts that this has on his business and personal life. Worth a look.

• Dec 01, 2013

Good, old-fashioned spy film, with impressive performances and plenty of real suspense--Engrossing despite itself!!

• Apr 05, 2012

An American living in Sweden gets called by the Brits to be an agent but by acting like a Nazi sympathizer. Well, although he does the deed, he loses friends and family behind it. But he DOES gain German allies who help in his plan. Good action flick.

• Mar 23, 2011

William Holden stars as an oil trader turned relunctant spy for the Allies against Germany in WWII. Slow build with lots of voiceover narration gives way to an exciting and emotional story with several suspenseful and powerful moments. Wonderful support from Lilli Palmer and Hugh Griffith and a brief cameo from Klaus Kinski. Wonderful location photography and terrifc score by Alfred Newman add to the atmosphere.

• May 12, 2010

I saw this when it first came out. It was a bit long, but the story of what this person did, giving up friends, family and his reputation for something higher is a lesson we could use today. The two most touching scenes were during his escape. First, was when the fishing boat that was smuggling him out was stopped by a nazi patrol boat, a jewish refugee with him who was sick and coughing suffocated himself so as not to exponse their hiding space. Second, when he came ashore in Sweden, friendless and disgraced as a traitor, the one person waiting for him was his jewish friend. The person he had shunned and insulted in order to carry out his role as a spy. A friend who had never doubted him and stood by him.

• Mar 28, 2009

3 Stars for this film? I guess people prefer Bond movies when it comes to espionage. :D This under-rated gem is based on a true story and Holden turns in a precisely nuanced performance as Erickson, a Swedish (which was neutral during the War) Oilman turned Allies Spy against the Nazis. No high octane entertainment or special effects here.Just good,old fashioned Espionage Thriller which is realistic and hard hitting.The Harry Palmer kind.

• Mar 21, 2009

This was a Netflix "if you liked ________, you'll like _______" recommendation. Growing up, I somehow missed this 1962 film, so I ordered it. Man, they sure beat around the bush back in those days -- rather than directly confront uncomfortable topics like the persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany or the homosexuality of Lilli Palmer's husband, the movie merely alluded to them. Some of the directing -- sudden closeups of William Holden's bug-eyed face when he was surprised by one plot turn or another -- was quite hammy. Although a true story, parts of it are overtold in the same hammy manner -- in one scene, when William Holden is caught by Nazis on a busy street in Copenhagen, hoards of everyday Danes abandon what they're doing to form a human shield and help him escape. To moviegoers of 2009, knowing what we now know about the true behavior of the great majority of people in Nazi-occupied nations, this pandering to the Danish national ego comes across as ludicrous and comical. One scene later the movie makes up for it, as we bite our nails watching William Holden make his way back to neutral Sweden via the routes and methods actually used by resistance movements. With all its ups and downs, it's still a thought-provoking movie, well worth watching.

• Nov 02, 2008