The Cranes are Flying (Letyat zhuravli) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cranes are Flying (Letyat zhuravli) Reviews

½ April 14, 2008
Beautiful Camera work, but other than that it was nothing special
April 14, 2008
some of the cinematography here is rather amazing, the acting good across the board, but the story itself is rather plain. it just felt like a story that ive seen a billion times but maybe this was the first one to tell it, if that was the case than so be it.
bbcfloridabound
½ April 7, 2008
Growing up we are led to beleive that other countries are backward and behind the USA, that is so untrue. This Russina film was made in 1957 and will match any film in America. Thanks to Criterion Collection for bringing it to our attention. Its Film Number 146 in this collection. A fantastic love story that invloves war. Like all Criterion Collection Films, if you can find it (Very Expensive), better add it to your collection.
April 2, 2008
This is an extremely succesful piece of "emotional cinema" from the Soviet Union. It was made in 1957 at a time where it was not safe to use the melodrama genre to depict the pain caused by war. As Kalatozov is a boldly director with guts, director photographer Urusevski is just as inventive - the strange combination of rapid cutting during the love scenes and a slow paced cutting in order to establish emotional movements during the war scenes... astonishing! And the two main characters of Veronica and Boris are being portrayed with such warmt by the two obscure names of Tatyana Samojlova and Aleksey Batalov. It all adds up and makes this one of the most beautiful films ever seen. Can't wait to see it again.
½ March 31, 2008
a must in any collection. as many says: its cinematography is awsome, also the camera work and the female protagonist simply will steal your heart. highly recommended.
½ March 31, 2008
The cinematography is excellent, the subtitles and print outstanding, and the acting good. However, the plot itself is a bit dated at this point - boy and girl are in love, boy goes to war against the Fascists, girl marries boys conniving brother when it appears boy dies, girl is racked with guilt. Still, the Soviet interpretation of this standard war melodrama is interesting, as is seeing a view of World War II from the viewpoint of the Soviet Union.
½ March 28, 2008
One of the few films that touches on life during World War II in Russia, "The Cranes are Flying" is a beautiful piece of cinematography. The film is intensely playful with the camera. Long, gorgeous shots rival Atonement's Durkheim scene in wonder and amazement. The film features two lovers, Veronica and Boris, who are separated by war. The film captures Russia's fears and anxiety during the times and humanizes Russia in a way that is rarely seen in modern film. Films like "The Cranes are Flying" are extremely vital in helping us all realize just how similar we all are. Cultures are different, but the things that we care most about are all the same, and that is what this film, and many other foreign films help demonstrate to our society. "The Cranes are Flying" is a bracing experimental film that succeeds in every way possible.
March 27, 2008
it's silly melodrama, but it's done so well that you end up not caring. cinematography is amazing, acting is amazing, everything is amazing.
March 22, 2008
Excellent Palme D'Or winning film from Russia. It's a quickly paced film about a romantic couple separated due to WWII. The cinematography is excellent, particularly a scene at night during an air strike, it's beautifully filmed and exciting. A really wonderful film.
March 20, 2008
I loved the part in the apartment during the air raid - very dramatic
March 11, 2008
Absolutely one of the best movies I have ever watched. It was melodramatic. There are many parts in it that I wish I could rewind them over and over because they had such an impact while I was watching them. For instance, there is one part that I love because of the way Boris holds Veronica's face. That's a cinematic definition of a holy moment. Absolutely beautiful movie! I would love to own it some day. I actually rented it.
QueenCityFilms
March 2, 2008
Amazing foreign movie - find this if you can.
½ March 2, 2008
Foreign films from developing countries or rather distraught societies tend to be directed like animated (i'm not referring to cartoons) documentaries .
This film is an incredible example of that.
And I didn't mind the Soviet propaganda because the overall moral transcends political boundaries.
March 1, 2008
The best thing to happen in Russian right after Stalin's death. The story and editing and cinematography are beautiful.
February 29, 2008
Awesome! Almost as good as his supreme masterpiece "I am Cuba",
one of the greatest films ever made!
February 28, 2008
brilliant cinematography.
February 26, 2008
Full of moments. Cranes... is full of tender and drastic moments spread throughout the film, accompanied by a stunning cinematography. It ends with a heartfelt tribute to fallen soldiers during WWII and a message that war needs not be repeated ever. Taken in account that the film was screened only a few years after the war and Stalins death the film was greatly accepted because it was not so much a Propaganda films as a love story during war.
February 14, 2008
............... lessons to be learned.... SIGHHHH
½ February 8, 2008
Soviet propaganda beautifully woven into a tragic love story. While the stated message of the film is to "destroy all war," an over enthusiastic praise towards war volunteers off sets its value as a truly anti-war film. Just the same, it's highly effective as drama and beautifully, almost magically, photographed
January 28, 2008
I didn't know communists could make such touching films.