The Cup Reviews

• Oct 19, 2016

Great Australian story based on Damian Oliver, a jockey, who's father died during a race fall. One week before the Melbourne Cup, Australia's biggest race, his older brother falls and dies. Damian is poised to ride in The Cup on a skittish horse that a few months prior no one thought would race again. He's able to not only overcome his fear of getting back on a horse but is also able to win the race. Get ready to reach for the tissues.

• Nov 08, 2014

based on true stoyry another horsey story

based on true stoyry another horsey story

• Nov 04, 2013

If you like horses this is your cup of tea

If you like horses this is your cup of tea

• Jul 26, 2013

Solid sports movie about champion Australian jockey Damien Oliver, and the tragedy he went through in losing his brother, to then go on and triumph in the 2002 Melbourne Cup. It doesn't grip you in the way that 1983's "Phar Lap" does, but it's a quality movie that should please sports fans.

• May 30, 2013

Entirely predictable, the gentle story telling was perfect for a rainy day. Steven Curry performed well in the leading role.

• Jan 07, 2013

• Oct 02, 2012

What a well told story and really well acted, Stephen Curry is brilliant

What a well told story and really well acted, Stephen Curry is brilliant

• Sep 29, 2012

Mised this at the cinema and recently saw it on DVD. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this true story of jockey Darren Oliver's winning ride of Media Puzzle in the 2002 Melbourne Cup, just a week after the death of his brother Jason (in a riding fall) and on the day prior to his funeral. It's a little cheesy, but in the main is inspriing and touching. An ensemble Aussie cast, supported by the marvellous Brendan (Mad-eye) Gleeson really makes it! A good 90 minutes of entertainment and a nice story too.

• Sep 07, 2012

Excellent story. Poor movie. Gave me a laugh when they used a SPCA underfed horse to allow the actor to mount.