The Dark Backward Reviews

• Nov 16, 2017

The cult film that never attracted the cult. The Dark Backwards is Terry Gilliam meets John Waters and is easily one of the most original, refreshing, not to mention grotesque, film to come out of the 90s. Say what you will about a movie where a garbage man/aspiring comedian grows a third arm out of his back, this one is an endearing gem.

• Jun 26, 2016

My absolute favorite movie ever! Alan Rifkin does a beautiful job drawing you into his Blumps fueled journey. He takes you down a bizarre path, stops you, then takes you again. The cinematography is exceptional. The actors were all top-notch. I heard that Judd Nelson was first rejected--too much of a 'pretty boy'. He was desperate for the role and so went to comedy clubs in character. That's dedication. This movie is wonderfully crafted. It achieves a level of depravity that rivals John Waters. Bill Paxton is a human cockroach. He plays it spectacularly. The script is genius. The writing brings you to new levels of absurdity. I'm laughing, and not "on the inside". This movie is not for the feint as it is definitely a journey of the senses. I actually own 2 copies in case I lose one.

• Apr 01, 2015

What a weird.......what the hell did I just watch.

What a weird.......what the hell did I just watch.

• Nov 04, 2014

If you wanna know where Super Creepy Rob Lowe originated, watch THIS film.

If you wanna know where Super Creepy Rob Lowe originated, watch THIS film.

• Apr 19, 2013

Brilliantly twisted and just weird as a dark comedy.

Brilliantly twisted and just weird as a dark comedy.

• Apr 11, 2013

A bizarro comedy featuring a sweaty and nerded out Judd Nelson as a comedian who grows a third arm out of his back. Bill Paxton is splendid as the accordion accompanying friend. Offbeat and grotesque this is pretty funny.

• Mar 12, 2013

An underappreciated surreal black comedy that is best enjoyed amongst a lazy haze of smoke, if you catch my drift. Both whacky and dark, while never being too much of either.

• Apr 01, 2012

I'm being generous with my scoring of 0.5 stars. This is a terrible film. Not funny, not strange, not cult, just terrible. The "humour" is juvenile, and the disgusting scenes are disgusting merely for the sake of being that way. Hardly any of the weird scenes have any relevance to the plot. You should never have to watch a 97 minute film in two sittings just to get through it! Awful.

• Feb 26, 2012

An interesting and very odd movie. This world I would not want to live in but still funny in parts.

• Feb 17, 2012

The Dark Backward is a treat of treats! The set design and art direction alone are worth a viewing! The acting, story and character development is the second reason! Bill Paxton is and always will be a genius...in acting. This film has has-beens, up-n-comings, and stars! Brilliant! Acting, story, timing all superb! We need more from Adam Rifkin!!!