The Dark Hours Reviews

• Apr 22, 2019

I thought the acting was laughable in this movie it was also predictable. I looked forward too seeing this movie so I was very dissapointed. I give this movie a D-.

• Apr 26, 2017

A psycho takes revenge on his doctor. Not horrible

A psycho takes revenge on his doctor. Not horrible

• Jul 02, 2015

A psychological thriller that starts off as a decent film, but by the end, I could not make heads or tails from what actually happened. If they would have made a clearer ending, this film may have been worth sitting through and gotten a better rating. As is, I can't recommend this film since it would have been the same thing if the movie just ended without the last 25 minutes of it.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jun 25, 2013

Ho boy. Don't look for any great indie revelation regarding the psychological thriller. Expect what you would anticipate in a film of this genre..with nothing special.

• Pamela D Super Reviewer
    Jun 13, 2013

<B><I>THE DARK HOURS</I> (Independent, 2005)</B> WRITTEN BY: Wil Zmak DIRECTED BY: Paul Fox FEATURING: Kate Greenhouse, Bruce McFee, Jeff Seymour, David Calderisi, Trevor Hayes, Gordon Currie, Kathryn Haggis, Iris Graham, Dov Tiefenbach, Aidan Devine GENRE: <B>CHILLER</B> TAGS: horror-thriller, dismemberment, rape RATING: <B>8 PINTS OF BLOOD</B> PLOT: <B>When a troubled- psychiatrist takes a sabbatical in her remote cabin, a former patient makes the scene and a shocking black bedlam spirals out of bounds in this smart, stylish horror thriller</B> COMMENTS: Like a brain surgeon's deftly wielded scalpel sinking into grey matter, skillful manipulation of cinematic elements merges with subtle transpositions in The Dark Hours. Along with clever segue-ways and strategically positioned ambiguity, The Dark Hours' filmmakers blur the line between objective and subjective reality in this fast-moving nail biter. It's engrossing, captivating, slickly edited and well-acted. Get ready for some disturbing twists and an unsettling climax. The Dark Hours keeps us guessing, dangling over the precipice between our home theater easy chairs, contemplating "what ifs," and fretting over what will happen next. And what happens next is just ... well just awful! For the characters in the story, that is. When institutional head-shrinker, Samantha Goodman (Kate Greenhouse) takes refuge from a personal crisis in her secluded snowbound cabin, she expects a quiet weekend with her aspiring novelist husband David (Gordon Currie) and sister Melody (Irius Graham). A worn expression about best-laid plans comes to mind, as one thing, something terrible, leads to another. Much of the action takes place after dark in Sam's remote abode, illuminated in a flickering amber candle and fireplace glow. There's a claustrophobic feeling inside the bungalow, which contrasts with the utter desolateness of the wide open, frozen tundra nightscape upon which it vulnerably sits. Hanging precariously by only a few threads, a wispy, gauze-like veneer of sanity separates the known from the uncertain. Only the cabin's frail wooden door insulates the occupants from infiltration by malevolent elements which might appear from anywhere out in the night. Indeed, such elements come knocking and once that creaky door is opened, sheer hell breaks loose. Instead of her hoped-for introspective interlude with David, from whom Samantha desperately requires emotional support, she instead discovers she's trapped in a love triangle between David and Melody. Just as Sam starts to unravel the details, the arrival of a duo of lunatics (literally) disrupts her family affair. The more the merrier, however, as the uninvited guests intend to help Sam acquire some truly objective perspective about her situation -and theirs. One of the interlopers is a patient, Harlan (Aidan Devine), with whom Samantha has a controversial history. He's escaped, and now with twitchy teenage protégé Adrian (Dov Tiefenbach) in tow, Harlan wants to impress upon Sam that he never much cared for her less-than-Hippocratic bedside manner. To boot, Harlan plans to help Sam sort out her domestic and professional issues, Jungian style. Or maybe just Nietzsche and Dr. Mengele style. Because while Harlan's diseased cerebrum is squirming like a toad, it turns out his is not the only one. Harlan detects that all present are in need of a little "psycho" therapy. Delightfully, he just happens to have a treatment regimen in mind for everyone -one which champions truth, illumination, and ... well this won't hurt a bit. OK, maybe just a LITTLE! Because it's going to start with some excruciatingly morbid games, games at gunpoint which involve a telephone, a diary and pair of cutting pliers. As the quintet prepare to venture on a schizophrenic journey of enlightenment, seamless perceptual juxtapositions provide an eerie insight to the escalating chain of developments, some of which are relayed via foreboding flashbacks and non-linear plot points. What ensues is pure bedlam when all involved spiral into a swirling maelstrom of horrid revelations and bloody confrontation.

• Apr 26, 2013

good and pretty horrifying movie

good and pretty horrifying movie

• Apr 18, 2013

A doctor, while on a vacation out in the middle of nowhere in the winter with her husband and sister, gets an unexpected visit from a previous patient who is looking for revenge. Pretty good suspense, a bit confusing sometimes, but worth watching. Netflix streaming.

• Dec 12, 2012

A troubled- psychiatrist takes a sabbatical in her remote cabin, a former patient makes the scene, and bedlam spirals out of bounds--Canadian Horror Hits the Spot

• Aug 13, 2012

I though the acting was laughable in this movie it wad also predictable,I'd looked forward to seeing this movie so I was very dissapointed.So for this being an absolute dissapointing film I gave it a D-.

• Jun 18, 2012

The twists just keep coming with each vicious game...surprisingly good.

The twists just keep coming with each vicious game...surprisingly good.