The Dark Knight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Knight Reviews

April 25, 2017
Here's a review I wrote on July 18, 2008, only a few hours after I had seen the midnight screening of The Dark Knight:

"We got there at 7:30 pm. We got our tickets. We were the first people in line. We got into the theater at about 10:00 pm. The movie started at 12:02 am. We saw... The Dark Knight. I sit here, rather speechless, about the masterpiece that was just handed over to me and my friends this evening. This is the definitive Batman film and most importantly, the definitive comic book film, but it goes beyond even that. The film is intense, violent, scary, dramatic and just flat-out entertaining; it belongs in a category all its own. First of all, The Joker is here in spades. It's an all-time classic performance from a lost artist. He paints the film brilliantly with the psychotic, twisted and always conniving nature that the character should be, and is, played. For the fans who wanted an absolutely insane Joker with no moral compass, you got your wish. Second, this film is all about the villains. The total opposite of The Joker is Harvey Two-Face. The creation, summation and declination of this man is heartbreaking and intense. A commanding performance. Third, direction. This film is absolutely splattered with beautiful imagery, incredible dialogue and stunning performances. They're calling it "The Godfather Part II" of comic book movies. Well, if ever a comic book-based film deserved an Oscar, then this is it. It's that good. Actually, Oscars all around, for Ledger, Nolan and most importantly, the film. I have a feeling I won't be seeing a film this good for quite a while. Neither will any of us."

As the upcoming Awards Ceremony date approaches, I still feel this way. I am immensely disappointed that this film DID NOT receive nominations for Picture, Directing and Cinematography. However, I am relieved that Heath got his posthumous nomination and I dearly hope he receives it (edit: he did :D). If it happens, it will be an emotional moment for all of his fans, friends and colleagues in Hollywood. Regardless, this film will be a landmark AND a benchmark in the history of comic books translated to film. After seeing it again in high definition over and over again, I'm still convinced of its power.
April 25, 2017
I love this movie. Specially the great work by Heath Ledger. I confess that that I saw it 4 times at the theater. It's an excellent movie, full of action, darkness and a villain with good sense of psychological manipulation.
April 22, 2017
One of the most outstanding superhero movies of all time.
½ April 22, 2017
ce film est le meilleur batman (mieux que celui de 89) grace a heath ledger
½ April 20, 2017
Extremely overrated. Only character development is from two-face
April 19, 2017
How did this not win an Oscar. I need to know. This is the superhero movie for non-superhero type people.
April 19, 2017
The Dark Night stars Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, and Aaron Eckhart, and is a continuation in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. This is hands down, the best superhero film ever made! It hit every single right note, but still managed to be a crime drama, which is what this movie really was. This is a crime drama mainly because of the psychological perspective of it. This is best displayed from the Joker (Heath Ledger) who is one of the best villains ever. He is the character that is a true stand-out and the best portrayal of the clown-like figure in the all the movies. There is really not much else to say other than this is a great film.
Over all, this is the best superhero movie ever made. It was ever so close to perfect. No flaws whatsoever. 5/5
April 15, 2017
The Joker is the greatest villain ever. I have trouble sleeping at night. The action and darkness is also what makes this great.
½ April 14, 2017
A fun ride. I enjoyed it. The ferry boat scene was ridiculous and silly, but I can let that slide. Heath Ledger was awesome. Not nearly as complex or deep as people think. But has some great action scenes. Up until this movie I hated most superhero movies, but this one is one of my favorites.
April 12, 2017
Here it is, the King of the superhero movie genre. Chris Nolan succeeded admirably in reviving the Batman franchise after Batman and Robin killed it. Batman Begins was a terrific movie. But Nolan absolutely knocks it out of the park with The Dark Knight.

Upping the stakes, Batman is now faced with an enemy unlike anything he's ever imagined. The Joker, played so magnificently by the late Heath Ledger, is a villain for the ages. He is a mind gaming terrorist, a psychopath in clown make up and a purple suit who has ZERO empathy for anyone or anything, and has no rules at all. He turns Gotham City upside down, spreading fear and chaos where ever he goes. Heath Ledger is simply stunning in the role, and completely transforms himself into The Joker. His Academy Award was more than deserved. He has created a true cinematic classic villain.

Another new key player is the charismatic and noble District Attorney, Harvey Dent, played with underrated skill by Aaron Eckhart. He is Gotham's White Knight, the hero with a face that Gotham needs, and ultimately tragedy befalls him, and he becomes the iconic bat baddie, Two Face. The special fx used to create Two Face's scarred visage is flawless. Eckhart raises the roof with tension when he turns to the dark side, especially in the movie's chilling climax.

Christian Bale returns to don the cape and cowl, and like in Begins, he seems more comfortable playing Bruce Wayne than he does Batman. Not say he's a bad Batman, he's actually a good Batman, but seems more at home playing Wayne than the Bat.

Gary Oldman gets a bigger role in the story as Jim Gordon, who provides the third cog in the justice trio of Batman/Harvey/Jim Gordon, as they fight to save Gotham from the chaos The Joker has unleashed. Oldman is fantastic as Gordon, and has really settled into the role more.

The immortal Morgan Freeman returns as Wayne Enterprise tech wizard and CEO, Lucius Fox. He gets some terrific scenes, most notably his sensational handling of the Coleman Reese character.

Michael Caine is wonderful as ever as the faithful butler, Alfred. He provides some great dry wit, fatherly advice to Bruce, and even as a crime fighting aid to Bruce in his new outfitted secret bunker.

Maggie Gyllenhaal replaces Katie Holmes as the Rachel Dawes character, and this is a good thing, as her acting is several notches above Katie's. The Rachel Dawes character is still a bland one, but not a badly acted bland one thanks to Maggie. Rachel serves more of a prominent role and purpose in the story this time around.

The action pieces are terrific. Most notably there's a stunning sequence in Hong Kong, and a fabulous car chase sequence between Batman's Bat-Pod, the Joker's circus truck, and an armored car containing Harvey Dent.
The fight scenes are also better executed, as the whole shakey camera effect from Begins is dropped, and the fights are more clearly visible.

The only mis-steps I'd say Nolan did was that Gotham City could have looked a little more gothic and grimey. But it's a minor complaint. Bale's Batman voice sounds a little too growly in certain scenes.

But other than these minor flaws, the movie is epic. A mile stone in the superhero movie genre. It pulls no punches. Leaves you wanting more.
April 12, 2017
Dark, brooding and sinister, "The Dark Knight" is not only one of the best superhero films of all time, but one of the best films of all time, delivering unforgettable moments and a spellbinding performance from Heath Ledger.
April 8, 2017
The best comic book movie ever!
April 8, 2017
A film that transcends the term "comic book" or "super hero" movie, The Dark Knight is a success in every way. Absolutely brilliant performances from the entire cast, with a standout of course being the late Heath Ledger as the Joker. In my mind, there will never be a better Joker portrayal than the one he brought to this movie. Christian Bale is phenomenal once again as the dark knight himself, Batman, and great performances again from Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox. The script is fantastic while being gritty and dark, while having that sliver of light peeking through the darkness from time to time. A marvel of large scale comic films that will stand the test of time as one of the very best of its genre, and an incredible movie over all.
½ April 6, 2017
Greatest super hero movie ever.
April 4, 2017
The Dark Knight is a film about a vigilante named Batman who seeks justice for those who can't get it for themselves, basically a big super dude who defends the defenseless. In this movie Batman comes head to head with a formidable foe dubbed The Clown Prince of Crime, The Joker, just in case it wasn't obvious enough. The Joker plays psychological games with Batman such as, capturing those he cares for, and weakening him at his core by turning those he trusts against him, such as Two Face. Two face is a man named Harvey Dent who once fought for justice alongside Batman, but was soon corrupted by the Joker, who blows the right side of Two Face entire skin to nothing, so basically he looks really fucking creepy. This turns Two Face into a man blinded by his misfortunes. This movie is my second favorite DC film adaption, coming close to Man of Steel. It doesn't try to hide the emotion behind a bunch of hardcore action sequences, it actually manages to balance both fairly well. It doesn't do a BvS either and just have 2 hours of talking and a thirty minutes of action. It lowers Batman down from comic strength and makes him what a human at his peak would actually be. Whereas Batman from everything else manages to crack a human spine with one hand and lift a fucking crate with the other. My problems with this movie is that it is very dark, not as in emotion, you can't actually see what the fuck is going on half the time. It's hard when you trying to watch it in daytime, actually, the first time I watched this movie I then had to re-watch it days later cos I had no idea what actually happened. Then there is also Christian Bales voice. Oh my god, how many throat lozanges do you think Bale went through, He must've done some amount of damage doing that voice fore three damn movies, and it's so annoying as well. All an all this movie is another masterpiece from such an amazing director who I hope continues to make movies just as good as this. And considering how he went with Interstellar and how good Dunkirk he's upcoming film is looking, Christopher Nolans future as a director is looking up as always. I still can't get over that damn voice though.
April 3, 2017
Heath ledge delivers one of the all time great acting performances.
April 3, 2017
Terrifying, Action-Packed, and Suspenseful, The Dark Knight has it all in what is possibly the perfect superhero movie.
April 3, 2017
Remarkable. Phenomenal. the best superhero movie ever made. Definitely the best villain in ANY movie, not just superhero movies. The story was awesome, the action was awesome, the acting was elite, the situations in the movie were unique and creative. The film continues the story from the original very well. The psychological aspects of Bruce Wayne from the first film are still prevalent. And the Joker. Wow the Joker. So perfect. So evil. So villainous. Heath Ledger did a ridiculously awesome job. Furthermore, the way the story was written perfectly encapsulates the Joker's character. The Joker's plans and intentions were so different from those of any other villain. This film will live on as the GOAT. (6 viewings)
April 2, 2017
The Dark Knight, is an amazing DC film that shows the darker side of Batman (Christian Bale)! Also, displays Joker (Heath Leagder) is the best way possible, definitely worth watching!
April 1, 2017
wo doesn't want to see this moive, just look at the teaser poster! the first film was excellent and i definitely think that this new one will far surpass it! it'll be cool seeing batman transform and evolve. this is something that the other films were lacking.