Total Recall: Surprising Oscar Nominations and Snubs

Summary

Watching the Academy Awards is a perfectly fine way to spend an evening, but let's face it: Half the fun of the Oscars is trying to predict who'll win, and the other half is bellyaching about who wasn't even nominated. It's in that spirit that we assembled this week's list -- looking back over the last few decades of Oscardom, plenty of worthy films have been honored, but just as many (if not more) have seen their contributions to cinema unfairly overlooked in favor of some rather questionable nominations. Obviously, this is meant to be a conversation starter rather than a complete list, but hey -- that's what the comments are for. Let's Total Recall! Back to Article

Comments

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

I don't really get the love for that film. We essentially had the same type of movie in 2011 with The Tree of Life, which was much better and far less bloated (not to mention shorter, much shorter). Cloud Atlas was good, but very flawed and certainly didn't deserve to be nominated for any major awards

Feb 21 - 05:34 AM

Freddie Hoareau

Freddie Hoareau

I don't even know where to begin on how The Tree of Life is not the same type of film as Cloud Atlas, The Tree of Life is a masterpiece btw, but I certainly enjoyed Cloud Atlas

Mar 15 - 03:52 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

The last three Harry Potters sucked...

Feb 21 - 05:39 AM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Finally!

Feb 21 - 01:11 PM

Matt Behr

Matt Behr

yeah I'm sorry but none of the Harry Potters should have been nominated for Best Picture. The Lord of the Ring's series (excluding the hobbit) was more epic and derserving of its wins/nominations

Feb 22 - 12:07 PM

Don Drzal

Don Drzal

You guys are so wrong! Yes! The best Francise of all time Harry Potter which made almost 8 Billion dollars at the theater (as a franchise). Every Movie made over 750 million. If that many people is willing to watch Harry Potter can't you give credit to where credit is due! Or are you guys like the .5% that actually watch the oscar nominated films that nobody wants to see or their charcaters are unforgettable.!

Feb 23 - 09:16 AM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

Listen, I support films that aren't afraid to push boundaries and stand up for what they believe in. But to say the last 3 HP's sucked....hardly. They were very well done, very well adapted and the acting was great. HP and LOTR will live on forever...

Feb 24 - 01:54 PM

Tre Oates

Tre Oates

Don, I understand that money really does matter, but the fact of the matter is: It shouldn't. Not at all. An award should be given on merit of the films achievements, thematically, visualy, sound, acting, directing etc etc. The fact that the Harry Potter series has made a boatload of cash should be no basis for an award of any kind. Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed the HP movies for what they were and towards the end they got better, put HP against LOTR and there is no competition whatsoever. Not to mention the fact that the "Acadamy" has snubbed and given the middle finger to so many deserving films (short, feature length, all genres) that the concept of an "Acadamy Award" is laughable. :/

May 24 - 07:43 AM

Tre Oates

Tre Oates

And, if your argument is to be believed, then the Twilight series should also be a high ranking contender, and that alone is enough for me to stop listening.

May 24 - 07:45 AM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

How come you start in 1986? We could start all the way since 1962, snubbing every single Kubrick film from the Best Picture category excepto ''A Clockwork Orange'', and in the latter taking absolutely no consideration for its brilliant performances.

Feb 21 - 05:40 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Barry Lyndon" was nominated too.

Feb 21 - 01:35 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Paths of Glory didn't get a single nomination. Stunning snub.

Feb 21 - 05:04 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Sorry, Malcolm McDowell would be a completely different actor if he had gotten a much deserved recognition for ''A Clockwork Orange''. To me, the greatest snub ever is not nominating ''2001: A Space Odyssey'' or ''Dr. Strangelove'' to Best Picture category.

Feb 21 - 05:43 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

The constant Kubrick and Scorsese snubs proves that the Academy's opinion is worthless

Feb 21 - 07:49 AM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Now we're getting somewhere.

Feb 21 - 07:50 AM

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

We've got a Kubrick fag here! Haha, I'm joking. I agree with you that 2001 and Strangelove should've been nominated for Best Picture in their respective years. Perkins is still the biggest Oscar snub of all time though

Feb 21 - 10:00 AM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

It should then be open to discussion whether or not an acting career for itself is more important to cinema than one of its greatest filmmakers.

Feb 21 - 12:14 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

2001 not getting a Best Picture nomination is the 2nd biggest Oscar snub in my book, so BOOYAH!

Feb 21 - 12:20 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Strangelove" was nominated for Best Picture (lost to "My Fair Lady"). Hitchcock never won a directing Oscar either.

Feb 21 - 01:02 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Worth knowing fact :) thnx

Feb 21 - 01:12 PM

timmyelliot

Tim Elliot

But Hitchcock was nominated 5 times.

His losses were not too shabby, considering they were also legendary directors: John Ford, Leo McCarey, Elia Kazan and Billy Wilder.

Feb 24 - 03:55 PM

Austin W.

Austin Williamson

I agree 100% on "Casino Royale"

Feb 21 - 05:50 AM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

I agree completely. The point is obviously Oscar acknowledgements are conventionally determined by partial technical quality. The major categories are more tarnishable and subject to manipulation than those whose criterion is determined by technical experts on the matter. We can all complain that some actor was snubbed after giving a memorable performance because it was of obvious recognition, but then only people with insightful knowledge in the technical aspects of filmmaking would discern sound editing from sound mixing.

Feb 21 - 06:03 AM

Adrian Wolf

Adrian Wolf

the movies that were nominated are garbage awards. whats this dude bitching about really?

Feb 21 - 06:19 AM

Jack Burton

Drew Last Name

I enjoyed the Princess and the Frog animation. I don't get the Ponyo love. The noses on the characters in Ponyo are not well drawn. There's some sort of pacman thing going on while characters speak. Reminds me of the Pokemon cartoons my kid watches.

Feb 21 - 06:25 AM

Dawn Havard

Dawn Havard

I love just about all of Miyazaki's work but I think Ponyo was the weakest movie he has made thus far. It just meandered until it ended.

Feb 21 - 06:57 AM

Zeke Teke

Zeke Teke

I have never seen Ponyo. But I loved Princess Mononoke so so much. Nausicaa is also a favorite for me.

Feb 21 - 08:21 AM

banditwhore

carl latin

i thought the same about Howl's Moving Castle, now that was definitely his weakest film.

Feb 21 - 02:55 PM

Robert Lindsay

Robert Lindsay

What about this year's "The Secret World of Arrietty" from Studio Ghibli? The critics and audiences who saw it loved it! And yet it gets passed over in the "Best Animated Film" category in favor of "Frankenweenie" and Wreck-It Ralph?" The Academy has no class!

Feb 22 - 03:57 PM

Landon O'Hara

2008: The Dark Knight

'nuff said.

Feb 21 - 07:29 AM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Not really. I love the movie but one can certainly make the arguement that there were five better movies that year. It got a bunch of nominations and won 2. The main problem was that The Reader was one of the films that was nominated for Picture and Director and that was easily one of the worst movies nominated for those awards in a long time. Certainly TDK, or Wall-E, or The Wrestler would have been much more deserving.

Feb 21 - 05:08 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Bad because...?

Feb 21 - 07:48 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Feb 21 - 07:49 AM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Now we're getting somewhere.

Feb 21 - 07:50 AM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Now we're getting somewhere.

Feb 21 - 07:50 AM

Zeke Teke

Zeke Teke

An Adam Sandler made movie receiving a nomination for anything is just depressing

Feb 21 - 08:19 AM

Zeke Teke

Zeke Teke

Feb 21 - 08:21 AM

Zeke Teke

Zeke Teke

Harry Potter in general is good, not great. Just because you love something doesn't mean it is better than other movies out there.

Feb 21 - 08:23 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Amen. People need to read and understand that statement.

Feb 21 - 12:53 PM

Jason Lalljee

Jason Lalljee

Hello? Are you not reading your own contradiction? WHY do you think that people love these movies so much? BECAUSE they feel they are so good. You can't feel sentimentality over something without the love in the first place... by snubbing the films the Academy failed to recognize the contribution of a series of films to the industry, and therefore lost all relevance.

Feb 21 - 02:20 PM

Dan M.

Dan Maclester

Haha @Jason Lalljee what a silly response. Zeke didn't say Harry Potter wasn't good, he said it wasn't great. Also if we apply your brilliant logic across the board we'd have to give Twilight an oscar too...many people love many awful movies (Harry Potter is not awful but you get the point)

Feb 21 - 03:13 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Children and their choice of best movies, sheesh!

Feb 21 - 04:25 PM

King  S.

King Simba

"Children and their choice of best movies, sheesh!"

So you'll passionately defend someone who likes Die Hard 5 and yet as soon as someone says they think Harry Potter are great movies you call them children?

Feb 21 - 11:19 PM

Susan Pfleiderer

Susan Pfleiderer

Harry Potter was great many people think so. I just saw Midnight in Paris. And while cute, there was a LOT wrong and sloppy with that movie. Potter definitely deserved that nom. slot.

Feb 22 - 08:12 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Where on earth did I say Die Hard 5 deserved an award?

Regardless, it's not just children who think some of the Harry Potter films are great. They've all scored really high both with critics and audiences.

Feb 22 - 03:00 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Excuse me, no one is suggesting "Die Hard 5" should get any type of award except you! Now just because some people liked the movie- it's nothing more than 'guilty pleasure', can you say the same with the movies that you like as well!

Feb 22 - 03:01 PM

Jason Crain

Jason Crain

I am a huge Bill Murray fan, but Rushmore, for me, is one of the most boring movies ever made. Groundhog Day, on the other hand... classic.

Feb 21 - 08:55 AM

Angelo Pilla

Angelo Pilla

I think that you people overlooked the fact that the Oscars are composed of categories, and even if a movie is bad, maybe it had an outstanding make-up, and so on, so on... So it would be a better list if you have compared the snubs in any given category with movies that really don't deserve a nomination in the same category.

Feb 21 - 09:10 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast