The Dark Knight Rises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Knight Rises Reviews

½ February 13, 2017
I don't get the hate. Sure, it's not as good as the last one, but it's still freaking amazing.
February 13, 2017
Absurdly overrated and nowhere near the quality of its predecessors. Nonsensical, overstuffed, poorly edited, and overly lugubrious, TDKR is just not a good film. Nolan apologists will forever maintain its greatness, but the flaws are nearly endless, some unforgivable.
½ February 12, 2017
I like films that continue the story from their predecessor, and this one does it very well by picking up nearly a decade after The Dark Knight. By doing that, we're able to see the impact of the last film's events, giving us an understanding of how Dent's legacy impacts the citizens of Gotham, and has helped put many more criminals behind bars. Near the end, there's a huge twist that involves Bruce's love interest, Miranda Tate. I was still as shocked as I was back in 2012. The action sequences are also fantastic, and the ending of the film was amazing as well, with Bruce presumed dead, but actually still alive. The sense of dread and mortality in all of the characters adds to the experience, and it's an amazing one.
February 10, 2017
iiiiiiii liiiiikkkkkeeeee
February 9, 2017
While a slight improvement from The Dark Knight, the Dark Knight Rises follows the same formula of providing disturbing action with little to no story.
½ February 9, 2017
A little bit lacking plot-wise and no standout performances like that of Heath Ledger's Joker.
½ February 9, 2017
Nolan tries too hard to avoid the comic book aspects of the series and it's often what makes the worst parts of his Batman films. He really tried hard to do that with this one. Even though liked the Bane character a lot in this film, I never cared for these more obscure characters in the series. Was Nolan that afraid of doing the Riddler or the Penguin? He couldn't have a costumed Robin? Why so little with the Catwoman character?

It may be true to the comic books, the plot just seemed too apocalyptic for Batman. Maybe I am too simple, but I just want Batman to have exciting story where he goes after classics villains like Joker, Penguin, Riddles, etc. That's what work in the 1960s. That basic premise minus the camp, is what works best. Even Tim Burton didn't quite master that, but he got by much better than Nolan I think overall. Especially, those complaining Batman Returns was too dark, Rises was by far the darkest yet.

Overall, I liked enough of Dark Knight Rises to sit through it, but I am not too eager to want again.
½ February 8, 2017
Can't believe this is getting such high ratings! I am a big fan of the two other movies in this trilogy, and indeed TDK deserves top spot as all time best batman movie, but this last one, I just keep falling asleep, watched it in full after the 4th trial, boring to death, vilains have no charisma whatsoever (Bane's voice makes me laugh mor ethan anything else), plot is dumb, Cotillard as usual kills any movie she's in it (Inception would be so much better without her).
This only thing I like is the attempt to continue the dark tone of the 2 previous opus, but so close to failing even that!
February 4, 2017
Loved the first two, but this one was a bit of a mess and I didn't really enjoy it. Disappointing.
February 3, 2017
Excellent in character, action, and story. What more can you ask for?
½ January 23, 2017
WHAT A WAY TO EMD THE TRILOGY! Tom Hardy did a great job as bane he killed it. This film I was nervous cause the trilogy was great itself and coming off The Dark Knight featuring Heath Ledgar's Joker this was going to be difficult but Christopher Nolan did a fantastic job of doing so making him my all time favorite director! Tje action was spot on along side the apperence of the sexy Catwomen. The ending was crazy and had a really good cliff hanger.... I hope they make one more please!
January 21, 2017
The Dark Knight Rises is a rousing epic but it's plot line is shoddy and it's purpose is unclear. Neither is the villain as colorful or visceral as The Dark Knight's Joker.
½ January 19, 2017
Despite its flawed plot and the absence of Alfred, The Dark Knight Rises proves to be one of the best third installments to a superhero franchise, and mounts up to a more than satisfying conclusion of the story of the Dark Knight. The third film is was makes this one of the best trilogies put to screen, second only to The Lord of the Rings in my opinion. This is because Nolan knows how to make films that will keep your attention and will make you feel in the moment. The scenes where in finale is happening, and batman and the police are fighting Bane and his forces is a brutal, hard-hitting sequence. When Bruce Wayne is trapped in the prison, I truly got the feeling of isolation and dreaded what would happen to batman when the film was all done. There are so many examples of this in the film, and it has proved to be the pillar on which Nolan has made each of the movies, all made to feel and look like it could actually happen in real life, while staying true to the incredible source material. Admittedly, this is a step down from the Dark Knight, mostly because of the strange back fixing scene for me, as well as a few other liberties taken with the plot. However, I must comment on Tom Hardys performance as Bane, this guy has been one of my favorite actors, and it started with this role, Heath Ledger left some impossible shoes to fill after his performance as arguably the best villian performance ever as the Joker, and Hardy, who was not very well known at the time, absolutely ate the screen as Bane. This was not an easy task either, as he had on a mask for the entirety of the film, but despite this, he proved worthy to be placed in the same trilogy as the Ledger performance, and not only made it his own, but in my opinion was just as captivating of a character as the joker was in the pervious film, just an entirely different person. Ever since that film, I have made an effort to watch a lot more of his films previous to this one, and found it to be bewildering as to how surprised everyone was when he did as good as he did, he was a great actor all along. This performance, as well as the rest of the amazing cast, and the surefire direction of Christopher Nolan, makes this a film that is one of my favorites
½ January 15, 2017
Everything that was done well in 'The Dark Knight' is done well in this film. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything new, and no element is the same quality as the previous film. The reason for this is that, in comparison to 'The Dark Knight', every element feels tired. The score is more of the same, but not nearly as grandiose. The cinematography is more of the same, but without the incredible sense of naturalism. The action is more of the same, except the only well-executed version of it is done by the new characters. Speaking of the new characters, the majority of them seem underperformed. Anne Hathaway misses the manipulativeness of Catwoman, Tom Hardy misses the physicality of Bane, Joseph Gordon-Levitt misses the frustration of Robin. Still, the film is enjoyable and does a reasonably good job of wrapping up the story. Despite what I said, I did quite enjoy Robin's story; it reflected the detective work that made the first two films such engaging crime dramas. Out of the trilogy, this is easily the weakest.
½ January 14, 2017
I wonder if this wasn't followed by the dark knight if i would have rated this 5 stars instead of 4 and a half. Still deciding.
½ January 14, 2017
Christopher Nolan concludes his Dark Knight Trilogy with a scope and a breadth rarely seen in blockbusters. Though the films reach excedes its grasp at times, the ambition, emotion, and visual splendor is more than enough to send the caped crusader out on a suitably epic high note.
½ January 13, 2017
I find a character who's only flaw is selflessness to be over appreciated. The twist of Miranda Tate's involvement was not special. Bane was an incredibly well written hell child, marvelously portrayed by Hardy. The true spirit of the comic turned to film trilogy really begins within the last five minutes starting with Alfred's tears.
January 8, 2017
VERY SMALL SPOILER
Downside: Suffers from the same problem as Batman Begins too long and un interesting. Gotham City should have just been called New york. Batman himself only appears in a car chase and then again at the end of the movie, too many scenes without batman make bruce wayne the person your watching through out the movie instead of who we all wanted to watch, Batman! Tom Hardys rendition of Bane is perfect but still seems like just a regular bad guy that wants to see the world go boom. For me i would have like the music to take it down a notch. The orchastra was on crack and just wanted to play loud epic music throughout the entire movie, even when characters are talking, epic music will just start playing for no reason.
Upside: The characters, just like casts in the past, great actors all around. Great action (what every high budget movie should have). Great twist.
Conclusion: Very solid movie just don't get your hopes up and especially don't compare to the Dark Knight, it won't come close.
January 7, 2017
The story line about superhero's getting old is awful. It didn't work here, and it didn't work when James Bond did it either.
½ January 4, 2017
wonderful movie spot on performence.