The Dark Knight Rises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Knight Rises Reviews

October 31, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The Batman story concludes - and this time it's even more epic, with Nolan engaging us with a higher-stakes story, as well as a continuation of the deep thematic beats of it's predecessor. Improved cohesive writing and a more established tone make for a film that fits and flows much better than the Dark Knight too, plus the whole final action sequence will have you gripped on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Really, all the great things from this epic trilogy amalgamate here, and the coming together had me close to tears. It's the grittiest, most engaging and well-balanced film in the trilogy that like The Dark Knight - makes you think, but like Begins it also makes you feel something. When Nolan does both of those things, it's gold.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The complaint here isn't character or themes, no here it's the story which happens to drag in the middle and fail to ground itself in reality in the way it's predecessors do.
VERDICT: Batman goes full circle. 'The Dark Knight Rises' masterfully combines the best of the first's storytelling, and the second film's ideas. The result just could have been a bit more grounded. And shorter.
½ October 31, 2016
Amazing film. My favourite batman film to date.
½ October 28, 2016
Although it may not be as perfect as The Dark Knight, Nolan manages to live up to the pressure and make a sensational climax to an epic and memorable trilogy. Christian Bale is my Batman and will be missed.
October 23, 2016
the other two were better but this movie is still awesome just like the others. I felt like the beginning drag a little
October 19, 2016
Brilliant. I remember how exited I was for this movie before it came out and it didn't disappoint me. The performances by Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway are fantastic. Tom Hardy's Bane might even be as good as Heath Ledger's performance from "The Dark Knight". In my opinion this movie is just as good as it's predecessors. I realised that each movie in the trilogy feels slightly different. "Batman Begins" is an origin film, "The Dark Knight" is a crime drama and "The Dark Knight Rises" is pretty much a war movie. This is one of the most epic comic book movies i have ever seen. Definitely a masterpiece.

10/10 - Masterpiece
October 17, 2016
The Dark Knight Rises and So Can You!
Christopher Nolan is back with more philosophic undertones in the final chapter of his Batman trilogy The Dark Knight Rises. In the trilogy's second installment, The Dark Knight, some critics connected themes of that film to the war in Iraq. In contrast, The Dark Knight Rises is themed around the war going on within us every single day.
The movie begins with the villainous Bane (Tom Hardy) setting the initial direction of the plot. While Batman (Christian Bale) comes out of retirement to defeat Bane, the actual mastermind villain lurks just off-screen. Perhaps sometimes in our own lives we feel that we know what the problem is, when actually it is just a distraction from the real issue.
The darkness portrayed in this film is a message of how dark the world is currently getting around us. Many may feel that they just can't do it anymore. Life may seem too hard. Some may feel that they are stuck in a pit of a prison just as Batman actually was in the film. Just when all hope seems lost and you don't know how Batman is going to get out and save the day, the motivation comes from the other prisoners as they chant. Batman asks a wise man in the prison what they are chanting. He says, "It means 'rise'." This motivation continues with Batman as he goes on to fight his enemies.
This film is a message to all that as our world grows ever darker, we can rise up and defeat the darkness with the light. I left the film feeling motivated. Now whenever I feel myself getting theoretically thrown into a pit I remember the motivating chant of Batman's fellow prisoners. "Rise!"
October 16, 2016
In the film, it's been eight years since Batman's murder of District Attorney Harvey Dent. Batman/Bruce Wayne has taken responsibility for Dent's crimes, and gone into hiding. I like films that continue the story from their predecessor, and this one does it very well by picking up nearly a decade after The Dark Knight. By doing that, we're able to see the impact of the last film's events, giving us an understanding of how Dent's legacy impacts the citizens of Gotham, and has helped put many more criminals behind bars.

I love the cast in this film. Christian Bale is without a doubt the best on-screen Batman, and Tom Hardy is stellar as the main villain, Bane. The other returning cast members are great as well, like Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine. I thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt was very good, and I liked his addition to the story. Anne Hathaway plays an amazing Selina Kyle/Catwoman. The cast members just do so great, and the writing that accompanies them is amazing as well.

The Dark Knight Rises gives Bane more to do than any other villain in the Dark Knight Trilogy. By emotionally connecting his character to the story, you understand him, and while I don't think he is the best villain of the trilogy, I do think Christopher Nolan did a great job with his interpretation of the character. I also enjoyed the fact that Bruce Wayne doesn't actually show up until after both Bane and Catwoman, are introduced.

I also think Catwoman was great in this film. I'm currently undecided on whether she was better than Michelle Pfeiffer's version of the character, who appeared in Batman Returns, but I think Hathaway did an outstanding job. She just felt more real to me, because she wasn't spouting out weird one-liners like "Life's a bitch, now so am I" during fight scenes. Her character also isn't tied into some supernatural entity in some way, like Pfeiffer's was. I don't care how cool it would be to have 9 lives, I think that in a Batman film, that's kind of stupid. Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises is just a normal person. Mind you, she's still a criminal, but I like that sense of mortality.

Near the end, there's a huge twist that involves Bruce's love interest, Miranda Tate. Throughout the movie, it's said that Bane was born in a brutal prison, and climbed out of it. Ra's al Ghul then says that Bane is his son, and I totally looked past the fact that Ra's al Ghul's child is Talia al Ghul. But I believed that Bame was his son, and when Miranda stabbed Bruce near the end, revealing herself as Talia al Ghul, and that she climbed out of the prison. I watched this for the second time, and was still as shocked as I was back in 2012. The action sequences are also fantastic, and the ending of the film was amazing as well, with Bruce presumed dead, but still alive and together with Selina. Overall, The Dark Knight Rises is the most fantastic superhero film I've ever seen. It has great action sequences, an awesome twist, and a great cast as well.
½ October 15, 2016
This movie is such a disappointment. This movie has bad pacing and a lot of plot holes. The movie at times jumps from days to months at a time, which makes you lose track of the story. I just wish this movie could've been better considering the two movies before it were so spectacular.
October 15, 2016
Incredible third instalment. Another top performance from Bale joined by Tom Hardy with a legendary performance as Bane. One of the best trilogy's i have ever seen.
½ October 10, 2016
Just disappointing follow up to the dark knight. Stupid plot lines and motivations along with gaping disney plotholes
½ October 9, 2016
-the epic conclusion
-4 1/2 stars
½ October 4, 2016
gg batman. gg nolan. gg bale. perfect ending to the best trilogy of all time and the best superhero movies of all time. Great story and awesome action. Beastly acting as usual with additions of more talented actors like Hathaway, Hardy and Gordon-Levitt. Connected very well with the first two films, including many references back to them. It also had a good psychological aspect to it, going further into the mindset of Bruce Wayne, not being able to get over Rachel or his parent's death, and not having a purpose without being Batman.

SPOILERS

The twist with Miranda Tate being Ra's al Ghul's daughter was very unexpected. The ending was perfect and very moving. One small awesome detail has to do with the pearl necklace that Selina aka Catwoman stole from Bruce. It was the same necklace that Bruce's mother was wearing when his parent's were killed in the first film. Bruce had kept it in a safe and put a tracker in it, which is how he found Selina to get it back. At the end of the movie when Bruce was sitting with Selina at a restaurant, it wasn't obvious but Selina was wearing the necklace. It is not explained but it may be how Alfred found Bruce to see if he was still alive, retired, and enjoying his life with someone he loves. We know he loves her because he gave her his mother's necklace, which also shows us that he has finally gotten over his parents' death and no longer blames himself for it. And he finally has a purpose in life other than being Batman (4 viewings)
½ September 28, 2016
A magnificent way to end to a trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises takes two reasonably stand-alone films and unites by tying them together in the big themes and plot points through to the little details, to make for a triptych that is even greater than the sum of its parts. Yet it is also the differences that impress; rather than variations on a crime thriller we get something new for the ever-daring director - a war epic. The pacing is fantastic, slow at first building to a ruthless charge to the conclusion.
Fresh faces from the source material are, as to be expected from this series, creative interpretations, yet ones that convey their essential core. Hardy and Hathaway are perfect as Bane and Selina Kyle and they are ingeniously used. Returning regulars all reach new heights of acting and depths of emotion. If in the middle film Batman was almost lost behind the ensemble that is not so here; both the man behind the suit and the idea behind the man are central and the trilogy provides one of the definitive Bruce Wayne stories. Despite sharing the screen with a great cast, that provide some of the series' best moments, Bale surpasses his previous performances, and it's Bruce Wayne that haunts you after the end. The story is a brilliant combination of elements from several comic arcs that twists them to play with expectations (and pays many a tribute to the multitude of Batman incarnations seen over the years) and ultimately rises above the source material to provide what the comics never can; closure.
½ September 25, 2016
The Dark Knight Rises, despite a few holes in the plot, is a truly epic and emotional conclusion to what is easily the greatest comic book film series of all time. Christian Bale gives his best performance of the trilogy as a man who has been broken both physically and emotionally, that is willing to lay down his life to protect his city. The supporting cast, comprising of both returning characters and new additions to the series, is truly excellent, and helps ground this story in reality. While not the peak of the Dark Knight trilogy, this film is a truly great experience for fans of the previous two films and fans of the character of Bruce Wayne/Batman.
September 24, 2016
My faVORITE IN THE TRILOGY!
September 20, 2016
Although it just falls short of the glory of the first two films in the trilogy for me, this is a master piece! The new characters and antagonists are brilliant, then theres the brief appearances of Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul which completes adds a nice link to the genesis of the saga. A very enjoyable conclusion to the story of batman in the trilogy while leaving gotham with a new guardian.
September 11, 2016
"The Dark Knight Rises" is sadly the conclusion to a masterful trilogy that will be remembered and appreciated for generations to come. The film itself masterfully leaps beyond the boundaries of an average comic-book adaptation with enough character and emotional depth to even outclass "Titanic" in those areas. Nolan's operatic style makes this a masterpiece filled with a boundless spectacle and a finale of impressively original scope and scale. It visually abolishes a modern blockbuster with a plot of daring boldness; taking your inner childhood on a ferocious journey. Before it's release, the expectations seem insurmountable even with Nolan's hand on the project. Did he deliver? With an opinion from the deepest of my heart, he absolutely did!
½ September 11, 2016
The Dark Knight is the pefect closure to Christopher Nolan's Batman franchise, but at the same time leaves us wanting more.
½ September 9, 2016
best comics movie ever <3
September 6, 2016
Stunning conclusion to a landmark trilogy.