The Day of the Triffids (1963) - Rotten Tomatoes

The Day of the Triffids (1963)

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

The Day of the Triffids Trailers & Photos

Movie Info

Adapted from the novel by John Wyndham, this intelligent British monster movie begins with a meteor shower so intensely bright that it blinds the majority of the world's population, rendering them vulnerable to attack from hordes of carnivorous plants known as "Triffidus Celestus" grown from meteor-borne spores. As the plant-monsters continue to multiply and seek human prey, the remaining sighted people join forces to combat the veggie invaders. One such survivor, an American seaman (Howard Keel) whose eyes were bandaged during the meteorite impact, battles his way through the Triffid ranks. Meanwhile, a couple (Kieron Moore and Janette Scott are trapped in a lighthouse. Good production values make this low-budget effort look more expensive than it probably was; the uncredited assistance of Freddie Francis -- who directed several scenes with a second unit -- also helps.more
Rating: Unrated

as Blind man
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for The Day of the Triffids

Critic Reviews for The Day of the Triffids

All Critics (20) | Top Critics (3)

A sci-fi thriller (1963) that sticks in the mind, thanks to deft pacing and a vividly paranoid premise.

Full Review… | May 29, 2009
Chicago Reader
Top Critic

Although riddled with script inconsistencies and irregularities, it is a more-than-adequate film of its genre.

Full Review… | March 26, 2009
Top Critic

Sometimes unintentionally funny, and it could have done without the customary moralising.

Full Review… | January 26, 2006
Time Out

Botanical dread

Full Review… | December 8, 2009

Unfaithful adaptation from the acclaimed 1951 science fiction novel by John Wyndham.

Full Review… | July 29, 2009
Ozus' World Movie Reviews

Decidedly short on awe-inspiring moments.

Full Review… | May 3, 2005
Lessons of Darkness

Audience Reviews for The Day of the Triffids

Although greatly ballyhooed the work is finally only a so-so effort, plants from space reminding us to certainly always finish yer salad. In the meantime I got the feeling that Howard Keel was the only Hollywood that could be got ... and that they shoulda passed on him and picked some local talent, as lifeless a performance as ever seen given. What's he doing in a sci-fi anyway?
Here is a work dying, crying, to be repackaged, re-done.

Kevin M. Williams

I wasn't able to see the whole movie, but someone told me this was a great movie, so I watched some of it and I wasn't impressed, but may be I should see the whole movie sometime?

Aj V

28 Days Later borrows heavily from the structure of this...only instead of zombies...their man eating plants...sweet

Ken Stachnik

The Day of the Triffids Quotes

– Submitted by Francis L (3 years ago)

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Day of the Triffids on our Movie forum!