The Day of the Triffids (2001)

TOMATOMETER

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Movie Info

Adapted from the novel by John Wyndham, this intelligent British monster movie begins with a meteor shower so intensely bright that it blinds the majority of the world's population, rendering them vulnerable to attack from hordes of carnivorous plants known as "Triffidus Celestus" grown from meteor-borne spores. As the plant-monsters continue to multiply and seek human prey, the remaining sighted people join forces to combat the veggie invaders. One such survivor, an American seaman (Howard … More

Rating: Unrated

as Blind man
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for The Day of the Triffids

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

Critic Reviews for The Day of the Triffids

All Critics (19) | Top Critics (2)

A sci-fi thriller (1963) that sticks in the mind, thanks to deft pacing and a vividly paranoid premise.

Full Review… | May 29, 2009
Chicago Reader
Top Critic

Sometimes unintentionally funny, and it could have done without the customary moralising.

Full Review… | January 26, 2006
Time Out
Top Critic

Botanical dread

Full Review… | December 8, 2009
CinePassion

Unfaithful adaptation from the acclaimed 1951 science fiction novel by John Wyndham.

Full Review… | July 29, 2009
Ozus' World Movie Reviews

Decidedly short on awe-inspiring moments.

Full Review… | May 3, 2005
Lessons of Darkness

The plants are marchin'! Hero Keel then overwaters them.

October 25, 2004
Kansas City Kansan

Audience Reviews for The Day of the Triffids

½

Although greatly ballyhooed the work is finally only a so-so effort, plants from space reminding us to certainly always finish yer salad. In the meantime I got the feeling that Howard Keel was the only Hollywood that could be got ... and that they shoulda passed on him and picked some local talent, as lifeless a performance as ever seen given. What's he doing in a sci-fi anyway?
Here is a work dying, crying, to be repackaged, re-done.

ApeneckFletcher
Kevin M. Williams

I wasn't able to see the whole movie, but someone told me this was a great movie, so I watched some of it and I wasn't impressed, but may be I should see the whole movie sometime?

ajv2688
Aj V

½

28 Days Later borrows heavily from the structure of this...only instead of zombies...their man eating plants...sweet

kenstachnik
Ken Stachnik

The Day of the Triffids Quotes

– Submitted by Francis L (3 years ago)

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Day of the Triffids on our Movie forum!