The Death and Life of Bobby Z - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Death and Life of Bobby Z Reviews

February 22, 2016
Not a bad watch, no interest in watching it a second time but entertaining enough.
½ March 3, 2015
The great Bobby Z is coming back.

Mike Tearney is a former Marine who has been down on his luck and made some really bad decisions. While in prison, he kills the leader of a large gang. Fortunately for him, the DEA approaches him about a chance to pretend to be a guy named Bobby Z who needs to be exchanged in a hostage negotiation. Mike decides that may be a better option than staying in jail. A wild adventure ensues.

"Did you know you have a kid?"
"With who?
"Does it matter?
"Not really."

John Herzfeld, director of Two of a Kind, 15 Minutes, Reach Me, Remember, The Preppie Murder, and episodes from television series Tales from the Crypt and The Paper Chase, delivers Bobby Z. The storyline for this is fairly flimsy and weak. The acting was just okay and the cast includes Paul Walker, Laurence Fishburne, Keith Carradine, Jason Flemying, and Olivia Wilde.

"We want you to be somebody."
"That's what my mom used to say."

I came across this on Netflix and decided to give it a shot. We found it moderately entertaining but a bit like Runner Runner. There were some cool shootouts, but I wouldn't even recommend this to action genre junkies. I recommend skipping this movie.

"Don't bruise the fruit."

Grade: D
½ February 17, 2015
This was certainly not one of Paul Walker's or Laurence Fishburne's finest roles. Poor directing, loose plot, and laughable action scenes make this movie a bust.
January 6, 2015
it was interesting. wished it was in theaters not direct to video.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Paul Walker and Fishburne ,, 2 great actors in my opinion and the result is a quite decent action movie involing those 2. Story is about drug dealers , cops etc. the usually ingredients and the movie isnt something special in anyway just a ordinary action flick. I enjoyed it.
May 14, 2014
Really funny film, worth a watch
½ March 23, 2014
Not A Big Flick as it casts Paul Walker
March 7, 2014
Tim Kearney (Paul Walker), a former U.S. Marine, is offered a way out of serving his prison sentence by drug enforcement agent Tad Gruzsa (Laurence Fishburne) - impersonate Bobby Z, a legendary surfer and renowned drug dealer, in a hostage switch with a Mexican crime lord. When the negotiations don't go as planned, Kearney flees, ending up on the run with Bobby Z's young son in tow.

also stars Olivia Wilde, Jason Lewis, Chuck Liddell, Joaquim De Almeida, Jacob Vargas, Keith Carradine and Jason Flemyng.

directed by John Herzfeld.
½ October 23, 2013
Dumb. I'm surprised this was even released straight to DVD.
August 8, 2013
muy buena buena trama excelente historia
June 2, 2013
Paul Walker still making movies apparently. May as well put Hayden Christensen in it too. Terrible.
½ May 26, 2013
Isn't it funny, how the movies you really don't expect much out of, turn out to be the most fun. Bobby Z wasn't something that was high on my list of things to see, but it was streaming and fit my mood, so I watched it and what a surprise, a well written, Action film, with a pretty good plot! Bobby Z is a legendary local crime boss in Southern California. He is a very elusive man that the Mexican drug lords go to extreme measures to find. Don Huertero (Joaquim de Almeida) has kidnapped an FBI agent and will only exchange him for Bobby Z, but there's a problem, Bobby Z is dead. The clever folks at the FBI decide to find someone who looks like Z and send him in, that man is Tim Kearney (Paul Walker), and his life depends on how well he can trick people into believing that he is Bobby Z, a man he's never met. Paul Walker is the star of this clever film and he does a tremendous job. I'm not fan of Walker's, whenever he does anything that isn't a gritty Action film, he stinks, fortunately this is a gritty Action film and he was engaging, delightful, and even funny as he tried to play someone he's not. As for the rest of the cast, it was certainly a unique mix of people, but being centered around one man and one goal, really made it work. It's unusual to find a deep plot in an Action film and that's why this film was so unique. Aside from some terrific stunts and fight scenes, there were twists and turns, crosses and double-crosses, even some humor. Bobby Z was really a lot of fun to watch, and it will keep you guessing while at the same time showing you some terrific action sequences, I was more than impressed by this film and by Paul Walker for that matter. It's easy to say, well he's been playing an undercover agent in The Fast & Furious for a decade now, but it certainly wasn't the same thing. The Death & Life of Bobby Z is a wild ride, that's a lot of fun, and it will keep you guessing, you can't ask for more than that.
½ May 3, 2013
Good cuz Paul walker he makes good movies.....
½ February 23, 2013
Paul walker at his absolute worst.
½ January 24, 2013
okay flick, I am a paul waker fan, but it wasn't his best work.
December 31, 2012
for some reason i really like it because of the storyline of the boy needing to be loved
½ September 10, 2012
Paul and the one called fish were great together
½ September 6, 2012
Are they not do mistake about he year of this movie made? It's written 1982, R, over there.
(im gonna find it later, im curious!)

Well, i just watched it tonite. And do u wanna know about my opinion? It was a comedy-actions movie. I didn't know i just felt like this. Lawrence Fishburn felt like just wasted time in this movie. But Paul Walker i think he's fine here.
Yah, u will not believe, that it has a very funny ending. I didn't even expect!
½ August 31, 2012
Bit weak, there was an interesting story behind here but it sold out to the usual action movie cliches. Tied up far too nicely in the final scene, costing it a further half a star.
½ July 18, 2012
Nicolas Cage could have played crazy better, but Paul Walker looks the Part. Too bad there is to much of him in every part he's played. It makes it difficult to see him as the character and not just the Actor playing the guy pretending to be a different guy. If this does not bother you, you may be able to enjoy this movie.