The Death and Life of John F. Donovan Reviews

• Sep 03, 2020

I stumbled upon this film with no expectations. I was so pleasantly surprised. Yes it treads in some well known waters but handles them so delicately. I found Harington's performance heartfelt and touching. In a world where there are so so many awful gay films that get marketed like crazy to the gay audience, it a gift to stumble upon one so understated, true and well done. Can't believe I didn't know about this film!

• Jul 19, 2020

A touching take on that most fundamental question for all of us: Who am I?

A touching take on that most fundamental question for all of us: Who am I?

• Jul 19, 2020

Hollywood never tires of the 10 year old character with the wisdom, and vocabularies, of 70 year old scholars with worldly attributes. Unfortunately viewers do. A movie that is supposed to be a critique of the way Hollywood treats gay actors gets lost. Rotten, unfocused movie.

• Jul 06, 2020

It has a frustratingly disjointed narrative and doesn't know what it wants to say.

• Jul 01, 2020

A really sensitive flick about a correspondence relationship between a TV star and a child who each find someone to confide in in each other. A sad but intriguing story of an unlikely but important friendship and the difference it made in the child's life. Engrossing watch.

• Jun 28, 2020

I don't understand why this movie got trashed so bad. I thought it was heartbreaking and absolutely great.

• Jun 22, 2020

It is amazing how many times I watch a movie that has been panned by the 'critics' here, but the audience likes it or vice versa. It is deceiving to see a low 20 score from the critics, when only a handful have reviewed it. This website has often been criticized for 'getting it wrong', way out of touch. This is one of those times, the acting by Kit Harrington, Thandie Newton and especially Kathy Bates, the facial expressions of Susan Sarandon in her final scene alone is what make this movie worth it.

• Mar 12, 2020

Beautiful looking, beautifully acted and even engaging and at times touching; however, 'the death and life of John F. Donovan' tries to balance too many ideas and characters, leading to a bit of a fumbling narrative. while still worth a watch, Xavier Dolan has certainly created better work when dealing with more personal and focused character studies and this film feels a bit like a missed opportunity with high ambition behind it.

• Feb 26, 2020

The movie had a weird soundtrack and was quite cliché but the actors were great

The movie had a weird soundtrack and was quite cliché but the actors were great

• Feb 16, 2020

Well-acted movie, about homosexuality and loneliness, in relation to letters between an actor and a boy who reveres him. Mostly about living the life you want. Available on dvd at Netflix.