The Death of Dick Long Reviews

• Feb 04, 2020

Skip the obituary. So this is about a group of young men in a band in small-town Alabama. You can call them white trash, you can call them rednecks, but one thing is for certain: they like to drink and get into dangerous shenanigans. Everything is in good fun until one of them ends up needing urgent medical attention, so they leave him outside the front of a hospital. When he dies soon after, they are forced to clean up whatever mess they can with the quickness. Now a review sold me on this, despite the title sounding like an adult film gone wrong. I love a story about criminals that are unsuccessful at crime, especially if they are a victim of their own stupidity, and this was described to me as being hillbilly Fargo. The Death of Dick Long is lesser than that masterpiece to be sure, but its dark comedy roots make for a wholly memorable package. This is an intelligently crafted little story, and it keeps your attention because there are a million different ways things could get worse. These guys aren't great at accounting for things that should be no-brainers, like keeping track of obvious evidence, and the variables are stacked for things to continue to go poorly. These are miscreants and while you're not really rooting for them to get away with it because they aren't likable enough, you always want to know what is going to happen next. These guys are so bad at this that you would think that everybody surrounding them would see nothing but red flags, but they actually give you a good reason why this story is longer than a short film. While these guys are only about a 2 on the competency scale, this is rural backwater Alabama we are talking about here. The police force would rank about a 3 on that same measuring stick, so it makes for one of the dumbest games of cat and mouse that you can possibly imagine. This movie is elevated by the performances, and I can't say I really have any familiarity with the faces, at least not in any starring capacity. It's morbidly funny, and it always keeps the narrative moving with either a tense situation or something macabre. It also holds your interest by not telling you how Dick died right away; you genuinely want to know, and when it is finally revealed, it makes it so that there is no possible redemption for these characters even if they do manage to rub their collective brain cells together and get away with everything. I don't think this movie will be everybody's thing, but the people who it is made for will really enjoy it.

• Jan 10, 2020

The dose of the South served up here, the music, the hijinks ... could have been right on my back door. An adventure I will likely take again soon.

• Dec 22, 2019

really enjoyed this weirdo

really enjoyed this weirdo

• Dec 19, 2019

That was 1.5 hours I can never get back. Absolute waste of an evening.

That was 1.5 hours I can never get back. Absolute waste of an evening.

• Dec 17, 2019

It was good until the mysterious cause of death was revealed. Super stupid, joke of a movie.

• Dec 14, 2019

This is a weird film. Weird, weird, weird. There's a band practice that turns into a drinking sesh, and then one of the people dies mid-sesh (it's Dick Long, so no spoilers there), and the other participants in the night in try to cover it up. How did he die? We're not told, but the urgency with which his two dimwitted friends attempt to distance themselves from the truth hints at something terrible. Dimwitted is the operative word, because the two protagonists of the film are, to put it indelicately, dumb. And it's from there that the majority of my enjoyment came. In every film, people make bad decisions, and it can sometimes get frustrating, but here, with Zeke and Earl, the bad decisions come so thick and fast that it's darkly enjoyable. Justice catching up to people who're too stupid to evade it is kinda fun to watch, it turns out. However, that's where my enjoyment petered out. The whole film is building to the moment where you find out how Dick died. And then that moment comes, and it's so gross and weird and upsetting that I didn't know how to feel. But at least if they'd made more of it, explored it somehow, it would have justified itself. Instead, it's just dropped like a bomb, and then the rest of the film trundles on. The film felt for me like an episode of a TV show, drawn out to be longer than its premise could sustain. It inspired from me a couple of laughs, a shrug, a shudder, and a couple of glances to the clock.

• Dec 10, 2019

This movie is so freaking messed up. And also excellently so. It’s damn good! Damn good! Reading the overly sensitive audience reviews make me recommend it even more.

• Dec 07, 2019

Funny in a ignorant back-woods kind of way...2 guys are trying to cover up their friend's death by having an 'unfortunate relationship' with a horse.

• Dec 01, 2019

You think it's funny and charming like Fargo, until you discover it's about sex with a horse. I feel sick. There should be a disclaimer.

• Nov 17, 2019