The Death of Stalin Reviews

• 10h ago

One of the best burlesque of the century. Hilarious and exorbitantly paramount. I just augmented it as one of my favorite movies.

• 6d ago

A really good film with a great cast and a great display of history. While for most of the film sides with one side, the end brilliantly shows the shady ness of politics and that the one we were rooting for, may not have been the right choice. It also displays the hidden party’s in the background. Always ready to take over.

• Jun 17, 2020

The most interesting thing about this film is that it actually happened. Of course there are exaggerations, but as a whole it is quite close to a real history. The humor is very, very black. Maybe you'll find it more "funny". As a Russian and a descendant of a murdered "public enemy" myself, I found it hard to laugh most of the time. To me it is more of a drama, told with a strong sense of humor. I liked cast play also. Steve Buscemi, Simon Russell Beale, Michael Palin and all others – very good. That's a big shame for me that this film is actually banned in my country. Seriously, permanently banned. Had to wear an old pirate hat again just to have a chance.

• Jun 12, 2020

I think I got my expectations a little too high for this one. It was pretty funny at times, and it was definitely kinda goofy, but I still feel like it might have taken itself like 40% too seriously. It's got a great cast and most of them are really funny when they have something to work with, but the last third of the movie is bogged down with plot and doesn't have the same style of dry humor as the beginning. All that being said, the scenes where this movie shines make up pretty well for any shortcomings. Jason Isaacs is hilarious, even if he doesn't get as much screen time as the posters would have you believe. Overall I'm a little disappointed, but it's definitely not a bad movie.

• Jun 08, 2020

A hilarious movie with a great political commentary. Acting is great and the storyline is even better. Highly recommend!

• Jun 04, 2020

Hilarious. A great deadpan comedy. It probably would help to have some knowledge of the personalities of the mid-20th century Soviet Union. All the acting is great.

• May 26, 2020

Watched it three time now. It ALWAYS entertained. I've rarely seen any film that has made me laugh and then made me wonder that this probably happened. Sobering, terrifying and funny in equal measure.

• May 25, 2020

If the Great Terror of the Man of Steel was one of the Twentieth Centuries great tragedies—a betrayal of the revolution, the state, and the people—then with this bitter burlesque of backstabbing and backroom dealing, Iannucci brings forth the farce inherent to the Soviet Politburo, as much an instrument of organized crime as it was of law and order.

• May 24, 2020

At times, laugh out loud funny, and in a few instances, simply stunning to behold.

• May 21, 2020

DEATH OF STALIN is a good satirical look at leadership. The strange, colorful aristocracy of Russia works as a good venue to show the contradictions within a ruling class of people. The actors jump into their characters, using strong personalities to show the different personalities in leadership. Starting with an attempt at conformity amongst the leaders left after Stalin's death, the story quickly turns to chaos and then they take sides and act to acquire leadership for themselves all before Stalin is buried.