The Deep Blue Sea - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Deep Blue Sea Reviews

½ September 24, 2014
Based on a Terence Rattigan play, this film tells the story of Hester who is trapped in a passionless marriage of convenience to an rich older gentleman, Sir William. When she meets ex-soldier Freddie Page, she falls in love, beginning a passionate affair. They are found out though and when Hester moves in with penniless Freddie, she finds that her love for him outweighs his love for her a great deal.
It's basically a story about the balance of love. Hester can no more give William the love he desires than Freddie can give her.
It makes for a pretty depressing film. Weisz is rather good in the role of Hester, but there isn't much appeal to her character. The only one you give two hoots about is poor Sir William. Tom Hiddleston as Freddie is actually quite unbearable at times. He could do with reeling the scenery chewing moments in.
I imagine it might be better on the stage, but this is far too maudlin a story for my taste.
September 16, 2014
the story has been told better but Weisz gives a fantastic career best performance
½ September 9, 2014
Not my style of movie at all. I knew Racheal was up for awards and thought lets give this a go. This was too long and drawn out and extremely dreary and depressing. The long pauses in between dialogue I was able to doze off in. Though it was a deep, meaningful storyline at the end of it all I felt like I just wanted to cry.
August 31, 2014
Loved it. Was great to see Hiddleston as something other than a megalomaniac.
½ August 30, 2014
Poetic, graceful and engrossing, ´The Deep Blue Sea´is one of the great anti-love stories ever put to modern screens. The almostic hypnotic verbose is melded and bolstered by our two magnetic leads and very human leads.
½ May 31, 2014
I stopped watching this after 20 minutes - it was very, very boring.
½ May 27, 2014
The Deep Blue Sea (Terence Davies, 2011)

Every review I have read of Terence Davies' 2011 effort The Deep Blue Sea has singled out the performance of Rachel Weisz. Deservedly so; Weisz comes as close to carrying this movie as she possibly can. Unfortunately, one performance does not a movie make, and there is far too much else going on here, most of it mediocre at best, to even be able to sit back and enjoy Weisz' performance, which probably should have netted her another Oscar nomination. Yes, she is that good. The film, however, is not. That this is a remake of Anatole Litvak's 1955 weepie of the same name (with Vivien Leigh in the role Weisz reprises here) should probably cause me to cut the film some slack, but somehow it doesn't.

Plot: Hester Collyer (Weisz, an Oscar winner for The Constant Gardner) is a woman seemingly bent on self-destruction. Trapped in a loveless marriage to a barrister (My Week with Marilyn's Simon Russell Beale), whose overbearing mother (Philomena's Barbara Jefford) typifies everything that is wrong with Stiff-Upper-Lip-Britdom, Hester flees into the arms of her husband's opposite, an impecunious chap named Freddie Page (Thor's Tom Hiddleston) whose glory days came during World War II and who is attempting to live off them. He can provide Hester with passion and little else, while her husband, Sir William, can do the opposite. Problem is, Hester is desperately unhappy with Freddie, but is unwilling to accept the contentment of her marriage. Thus, in the opening scene, she has decided to take her own life. Or did she really? The doctor who examines her after the fact condemns the attempt as ridiculous. This question, ultimately, drives the film; does Hester really want to die?

Weisz, as noted, plays the role to the hilt. And I realize this is about as YMMV a judgment as someone can pronounce on a movie, but there it is: that role did not ring true to me, not for one single frame of this movie. It might have played in the age of the weepie, but really, weren't we beyond sexual hysteria as a psychological diagnosis even in the fifties? Hester is a doormat, but she's a doormat with escape options. That she buries her head in the sand, and digs deeper every time those escape options are presented to her, does not inspire pathos, and it certainly does not inspire sympathy. Rather, by halfway through the movie she was inspiring the same extreme annoyance in me that she was in Freddie. That wshe was making me root for the gas to win is testament to Weisz' acting ability, but it doesn't say much for the movie as a whole. ** 1/2
May 16, 2014
Qué buenas actuaciones de parte de Weisz y Hiddleston, una pelí­cula cruda, como la realidad. And still a better love story than Twilight.
½ May 3, 2014
Well crafted and superbly acted by Rachel Weisz, this movie keeps the interest alive with a very deep character study of the psyche of a woman who harbors an impossibly unrequited love. Moments of bergmanian intensity and passionate flashbacks a la david lean are enriched by a stylish photography and an extraordinary music score. A wonderful visual experience.
½ April 26, 2014
I would like to have Simon Russel Beale to read me bedtime stories. Such a beautiful voice!
April 18, 2014
Com um excelente desempenho por Rachel Weisz, "The Deep Blue Sea" é um visualmente deslumbrante, um conto melancolico da paixão subsumida
April 12, 2014
Un Melancólico relato de de pasión y amor
April 11, 2014
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that rachel weisz, tom hiddleston (loki from the brilliant avengers movie), simon russell beale, ann mitchell, jolyon coy, play good roles/parts thorughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/romance movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really sad moving film to watch.......i think that this is such a really well directed/written/acted movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that Barbara Jefford as Collyer's mother, Oliver Ford Davies as Hester's father were great throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really powerful romance movie 2 watch.......i think that rachel weisz was absolultley brilliant throughout this movie.......i think that simon russell beale was fantastic throughout this movie........i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch as it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......i think that karl johnson was brilliant throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch......i think that this is such a really well made drama movie 2 watch its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its such a really sad movie 2 watch but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch its such a really well written/acted/direcyed movie 2 watch its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its so really well written it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such a really sad powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie
April 9, 2014
Very slow dull movie unless you are really into pretentious, artsy, period pieces. A depressing story about a depressed woman with seemingly no way to change her life.
March 28, 2014
remake of a 1955 vivian leigh pic of the same name. this is one where i like both versions like 'waterloo bridge' i like both versions
March 27, 2014
Rachel Weisz lo es todo en esta película.
March 23, 2014
The most understated yet deeply felt romance you will (probably not) see this year. This only came on my radar as I'm now in love with Tom Hiddlestone so am checking out his back catalogue and I am very happy to have discovered it. As slow-burn as you can imagine, the film practically stops at one part so we can enjoy the lovers dancing solo together. Come the cataclysmic (to those that have experienced being dangerously in love with another) end I was in pieces, greatly due to the power of Weisz's. performance.
½ March 3, 2014
Highly-alike Neil Jordan's The End of the Affair, Rachel Weisz took over Julianne Moore's role brilliantly, only with more instability and sorrow in a profound way.
March 1, 2014
Two words, Tom Hiddleston
½ February 27, 2014
I didn't hate it but I probably would have connected better with the characters if i saw it as a play on stage instead.