The Descendants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descendants Reviews

½ April 5, 2016
The trailer was outstanding... but the movie was a bit ambling. There was far too much story and not enough plot. There was absolutely no connectivity between plot and subplot. Clooney's decision re his ancestral lands had nothing to do with his quest to find his wife's lover. There were a few too many characters with not enough to do. The climax was a little weird and not really that satisfying, but the movie isn't by any means bad. The sheer amount of acting going on here is impressive, and it certainly shows Shailene Woodley's true talents which are sadly overshadowed by the whole Divergent mess. It's worth seeing simply because of the performances, and the dialogue is clever.
½ March 27, 2016
A smartly written comedy-drama, The Descendants is both funny and touching in it's dialogue, acting and direction, never afraid to truly show the more uglier parts of humanity in it's truthfulness.
½ March 15, 2016
The Descendants adresses its themes with Alexander Payne's customary masterful grip, that succeds in delivering a heartfelt, touching - and often funny - drama about dealing with tragedy and family bonds that rises on the strength of its talented cast.
March 8, 2016
Beautifully acted and written but I don't see any funny things at all. flat for me
½ March 7, 2016
George Clooney is a father with a lot more problems than it looks on the surface. A rather popular man who has a wonderful family is going through an extremely tough time. His wife is in hospital and his eldest daughter is starting to strike out against him.

Shailene Woodley gives a really mature performance and showcases just how it is for somebody of her age going through this time.

The film is certainly something I would recommend watching but don't expect fireworks because it's not that kind of film.
February 29, 2016
A good watch overall
February 27, 2016
We always wait until the moment it's too late to say what we feel about each other. Our last breathe, to get everything off our chest. That face to face interaction for someone to feel our pain as much as we do. When such moments don't come around too often and we bottle such aggression, such emotion and uncertainty that is the very reason that makes us go in a tail spin.
February 24, 2016
good flick, not Oscar nom good tho
½ February 14, 2016
A bit unbelievable most of the time. Still funny at others. A beautiful travel advertisement for Hawai'i.
½ February 14, 2016
I did not know what to expect before watching this film, & when I did, I was definitely not disappointed! It was so real, heartbreaking, & the story was well-told! The Hawaiian vibe worked really well! Clooney & Woodley both gave brilliant performances as well as the rest of the cast!
January 31, 2016
Not as quirky funny as I'd hoped. Much more serious. But very good. LOVE the teenage daughter. And Clooney is excellent. Fast forward 3 years. I love this movie. I watch it every time it's on.
January 25, 2016
the movie is very sad. shows you how a family came togother in a time of crisis.
½ January 22, 2016
Alexander Payne is one of our strongest, most original filmmakers working today.
½ January 9, 2016
Fantastic show by Payne, in his unusual style of humor - drama combo...
½ January 4, 2016
Another superb drama from Alexander Payne finds a neat balance of funny and somber moments, creating a beautiful and moving experience. Clooney is excellent as is the supporting cast lead by Shailene Woodley.
½ December 31, 2015
I don't expect too high for Alexander Payne's movies because even though a lot of people love his work, especially the critics, but he clearly wasn't one of my favorite.. But what I saw for after 2 hours are a masterpiece from Payne with an outstanding performance from George Clooney and a show stealer performance from Shailene Woodley.. The story is light, kinda boring a little, but it's stunning me..
½ December 14, 2015
Alexander Payne is a consistently great movie maker, and The Descendants is, in my experience, one of his best. Always adept at examining the misgivings of men who are adrift in lives of relative comfort, our hero is forced to deal with a wealth of issues, both personal and professional, all at the same time, and we follow him through his struggles to accept what he can't change and preserve what he has. Clooney is fantastic in the lead role, definitely one of his finest performances. I've always found him to be at his funniest when he fauxs interest in people he clearly couldn't care less about. He has this fantastically bitter look in his eye and a sense of humour that, even during his most emotional moments, allows him to pull a funny quip or expression right out of the blue and instantly lighten the mood. Much like Jack Nicholson in Payne's 'About Schmidt', Clooney isn't a man without emotions, he just has trouble understanding them, both other peoples and his own. A movie of this subject matter could easily have, ahem, descended into mawkish sentimentality in order to hammer in its points, but this movie takes a light-hearted, often very matter-of-fact but still poignant approach, addressing often heart-breaking issues with common sense deduction and without undue histrionics. It's a fairly slow film, often seeming to halt entirely at times, but what it lacks in pace it more than makes up for in wit, character and heart.
½ December 12, 2015
A tender, gracious film that treats some dark, troubling issues like death and infidelity with poise and decency, intelligently giving only glimpses of the truly ugly feelings that give the film an undertone, but don't dominate its mood. George Clooney gives a solid performance as a man trying to hold everything together in the midst of personal turmoil.