The Descendants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descendants Reviews

May 28, 2016
This is a very depressing drama about the end of the life of a woman we never truly meet but hear all about. I found I didn't like her much, which definitely made my enjoyment suffer. The Hawaiian scenery is beautiful and helped make the movie bearable. Nice performances by Clooney and Woodley.
½ May 10, 2016
a nice little dramedy with good performances. I feel it was well balanced between the serious and the funny moments throughout and the story pretty much walked itself through without much of a slow down or skipping anything. nice little watch.
May 5, 2016
A great performance from George Clooney and that same humanity from Sideways director Alexander Payne make The Descendants a masterpiece
April 26, 2016
A boating accident involving his wife makes a tourist reexamine his life in yet another yarn about how life sucks from redundant director Alexander Payne.
½ April 24, 2016
A poignant, intelligent and memorable drama, with realistic characters and whip smart dialogue.
½ April 5, 2016
The trailer was outstanding... but the movie was a bit ambling. There was far too much story and not enough plot. There was absolutely no connectivity between plot and subplot. Clooney's decision re his ancestral lands had nothing to do with his quest to find his wife's lover. There were a few too many characters with not enough to do. The climax was a little weird and not really that satisfying, but the movie isn't by any means bad. The sheer amount of acting going on here is impressive, and it certainly shows Shailene Woodley's true talents which are sadly overshadowed by the whole Divergent mess. It's worth seeing simply because of the performances, and the dialogue is clever.
½ March 27, 2016
A smartly written comedy-drama, The Descendants is both funny and touching in it's dialogue, acting and direction, never afraid to truly show the more uglier parts of humanity in it's truthfulness.
½ March 15, 2016
The Descendants adresses its themes with Alexander Payne's customary masterful grip, that succeds in delivering a heartfelt, touching - and often funny - drama about dealing with tragedy and family bonds that rises on the strength of its talented cast.
March 8, 2016
Beautifully acted and written but I don't see any funny things at all. flat for me
½ March 7, 2016
George Clooney is a father with a lot more problems than it looks on the surface. A rather popular man who has a wonderful family is going through an extremely tough time. His wife is in hospital and his eldest daughter is starting to strike out against him.

Shailene Woodley gives a really mature performance and showcases just how it is for somebody of her age going through this time.

The film is certainly something I would recommend watching but don't expect fireworks because it's not that kind of film.
February 29, 2016
A good watch overall
February 27, 2016
We always wait until the moment it's too late to say what we feel about each other. Our last breathe, to get everything off our chest. That face to face interaction for someone to feel our pain as much as we do. When such moments don't come around too often and we bottle such aggression, such emotion and uncertainty that is the very reason that makes us go in a tail spin.
February 24, 2016
good flick, not Oscar nom good tho
½ February 14, 2016
A bit unbelievable most of the time. Still funny at others. A beautiful travel advertisement for Hawai'i.
½ February 14, 2016
I did not know what to expect before watching this film, & when I did, I was definitely not disappointed! It was so real, heartbreaking, & the story was well-told! The Hawaiian vibe worked really well! Clooney & Woodley both gave brilliant performances as well as the rest of the cast!
January 31, 2016
Not as quirky funny as I'd hoped. Much more serious. But very good. LOVE the teenage daughter. And Clooney is excellent. Fast forward 3 years. I love this movie. I watch it every time it's on.
January 25, 2016
the movie is very sad. shows you how a family came togother in a time of crisis.
½ January 22, 2016
Alexander Payne is one of our strongest, most original filmmakers working today.