The Descendants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descendants Reviews

½ September 5, 2015
how to weigh betrayal against love, death against life? and how should we actually start to look at adulthood differently? - it could start any time, and does not have to mean getting dirty :)
½ August 30, 2015
Hyvä draama raskaasta aiheesta...
½ August 14, 2015
A different kind of movie. a refreshing break from action movies, or super hero movies, or movies about technology. an interesting glimpse into Hawaiian culture. Clooney was very convincing in the lead role. script was very well written. interesting and engaging characters. A very pleasurable viewing experience.
½ August 3, 2015
Humorous, touching, and heartbreaking, The Descendants is one of the finest films of the year, exploring the love of family and the sadness of moving on!
½ July 30, 2015
great film and another quirky comedy by payne. looking forward to his next film
July 28, 2015
Amazing film! I loved the story and the character. Flew flaws here and there but other then that this is an emotional ride.
July 16, 2015
George clooney and shailene Woodley shine in this powerful, emotional, epic that shows how a family can come together in the hardest of times...under the hardest of circumstances. Alexander Payne creates another masterpiece with some deep thoughts and some powerful emotions. Fantastic!
July 12, 2015
George Clooney and Shailene Woodley absolutely control the screen is an outstanding family drama. As the Kings combat fiscal, financial and family issues one cannot help but agree there is a very tangible dynamic.
June 10, 2015
I LOVE THIS MOVIE. One of my favorites of the year. George Clooney is phenomenal as a father of two who finds out that his comatose wife was cheating on him before her accident. Alexander Payne brilliantly explores the bumps in life and the struggles of being a single parent. Shailene Woodley and Amara Miller are outrageous as Clooney's cursing, volatile daughters. Such a lovely, moving, hilarious family drama.
June 3, 2015
A movie that you don't want to end.
May 27, 2015
Clooney is an unlikely lawyer in Hawaii preparing for the deal of the century when his wife goes into a coma through an boating accident. What happens next, presented in a touching family drama kind of way, is the interpersonal family business of burying the dead, warts and all. Not bad, and a depiction of Hawaii not usually seen.
½ May 24, 2015
Wealthy people have it hard too. I found it hard to connect to this film. I remain unimpressed.
May 16, 2015
Ever have the mornings when you wake up still thinking about last night's movie? Well, I did with this movie. The Descendants is a heartfelt movie all the way; not a tearjerker, but a story where I felt well-invested in every character. Family and environment are the two most important elements of this film and without one the other cannot prosper. George gives us a top-notch performance (his best roles are where he doesn't have full control.) Also, I suggest that if you liked this movie check out more Alexander Payne films; he's the real magic behind this film.
½ April 28, 2015
The Descendants is a moving and touching picture, featuring a strong George Clooney performance and a standout from Shailene Woodley in her breakthrough role. The character of Sid, whilst vital for the film's progression, has a tenuous connection to the film, and the film slips into cliche as the film proceeds, but neither flaw takes away from the overall moving experience.
½ April 26, 2015
The Descendants is a picture perfect look at the tragic, yet beautiful roller coaster that is life. Moving, phenomenal performances, and an excellent script and direction from Alexander Payne.
April 25, 2015
Really good movie. Another tear jerker.
½ April 20, 2015
it might be the most boring movie ever. clooney is still pain to watch for me.
April 12, 2015
Brilliant and thought-provoking movie! Loved it!!!
April 12, 2015
A huge disappointment. Woman-hating midlife crisis storyline with an unbelievable enviro-culturalist gesture toward redemption at the end. I hated this pandering film, and the only good thing about it are the touches of local culture in production design.
April 12, 2015
Actually there's much to write about when you're talking about this film. George Clooney gave absolutely his best alongside Shailene Woodley who gave out a stunning performance. Not to mention Alexander Payne whose every step he takes proves his quality behind camera and with a pen.

His story unlike others managed to catch our hearts about a man who loved , who learned to forgive , whose actions was seen as selfish but turned out to be incredibly noble. His wife like many others feels lonely she then turns to another man , A sickening man who finds the opportunity to play with a woman's heart though he loves his wife and children. His children on the other hand are the biggest losers who fell between a working father and a cheating wife. This is the story of many , love , betrayal & love again. This film is absolutely wonderful if you haven't seen yet you're missing quite a lot then.