The Descendants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descendants Reviews

½ January 22, 2016
Alexander Payne is one of our strongest, most original filmmakers working today.
½ January 9, 2016
Fantastic show by Payne, in his unusual style of humor - drama combo...
½ January 4, 2016
Another superb drama from Alexander Payne finds a neat balance of funny and somber moments, creating a beautiful and moving experience. Clooney is excellent as is the supporting cast lead by Shailene Woodley.
½ December 31, 2015
I don't expect too high for Alexander Payne's movies because even though a lot of people love his work, especially the critics, but he clearly wasn't one of my favorite.. But what I saw for after 2 hours are a masterpiece from Payne with an outstanding performance from George Clooney and a show stealer performance from Shailene Woodley.. The story is light, kinda boring a little, but it's stunning me..
½ December 14, 2015
Alexander Payne is a consistently great movie maker, and The Descendants is, in my experience, one of his best. Always adept at examining the misgivings of men who are adrift in lives of relative comfort, our hero is forced to deal with a wealth of issues, both personal and professional, all at the same time, and we follow him through his struggles to accept what he can't change and preserve what he has. Clooney is fantastic in the lead role, definitely one of his finest performances. I've always found him to be at his funniest when he fauxs interest in people he clearly couldn't care less about. He has this fantastically bitter look in his eye and a sense of humour that, even during his most emotional moments, allows him to pull a funny quip or expression right out of the blue and instantly lighten the mood. Much like Jack Nicholson in Payne's 'About Schmidt', Clooney isn't a man without emotions, he just has trouble understanding them, both other peoples and his own. A movie of this subject matter could easily have, ahem, descended into mawkish sentimentality in order to hammer in its points, but this movie takes a light-hearted, often very matter-of-fact but still poignant approach, addressing often heart-breaking issues with common sense deduction and without undue histrionics. It's a fairly slow film, often seeming to halt entirely at times, but what it lacks in pace it more than makes up for in wit, character and heart.
½ December 12, 2015
A tender, gracious film that treats some dark, troubling issues like death and infidelity with poise and decency, intelligently giving only glimpses of the truly ugly feelings that give the film an undertone, but don't dominate its mood. George Clooney gives a solid performance as a man trying to hold everything together in the midst of personal turmoil.
December 11, 2015
Alexander Payne's The Descendants is touching, sensitive and beautiful, expertly capturing the full emotional scope of its source material, and leaving us with one of George Clooney's most soulful performances.
½ December 9, 2015
The Descendants is a well acted and directed movie that makes you think over some of the most important things in life.
½ November 13, 2015
Best film I've seen in ages. Superbly acted by all. A clever and very real portrayal of family bonds in the making. Go and see it.
½ October 30, 2015
Featuring a bravura performance from Geoge Clooney, The Descendants is one of the best films of 2011 thanks to its heartfelt characters, touching story and piercing moments of emotional truth.
½ September 5, 2015
how to weigh betrayal against love, death against life? and how should we actually start to look at adulthood differently? - it could start any time, and does not have to mean getting dirty :)
½ August 30, 2015
Hyvä draama raskaasta aiheesta...
½ August 14, 2015
A different kind of movie. a refreshing break from action movies, or super hero movies, or movies about technology. an interesting glimpse into Hawaiian culture. Clooney was very convincing in the lead role. script was very well written. interesting and engaging characters. A very pleasurable viewing experience.
½ August 3, 2015
Humorous, touching, and heartbreaking, The Descendants is one of the finest films of the year, exploring the love of family and the sadness of moving on!
½ July 30, 2015
great film and another quirky comedy by payne. looking forward to his next film
July 28, 2015
Amazing film! I loved the story and the character. Flew flaws here and there but other then that this is an emotional ride.
July 16, 2015
George clooney and shailene Woodley shine in this powerful, emotional, epic that shows how a family can come together in the hardest of times...under the hardest of circumstances. Alexander Payne creates another masterpiece with some deep thoughts and some powerful emotions. Fantastic!
July 12, 2015
George Clooney and Shailene Woodley absolutely control the screen is an outstanding family drama. As the Kings combat fiscal, financial and family issues one cannot help but agree there is a very tangible dynamic.
June 10, 2015
I LOVE THIS MOVIE. One of my favorites of the year. George Clooney is phenomenal as a father of two who finds out that his comatose wife was cheating on him before her accident. Alexander Payne brilliantly explores the bumps in life and the struggles of being a single parent. Shailene Woodley and Amara Miller are outrageous as Clooney's cursing, volatile daughters. Such a lovely, moving, hilarious family drama.
June 3, 2015
A movie that you don't want to end.