The Descendants Reviews

• Dec 24, 2020

it was good. they got alot of the local experiences and sayings right. the music was real n helped the authenticity. The King Family thing is real. Will watch again

• Dec 18, 2020

Cheating on George Clooney? That's not living very aloha, if you ask me.

Cheating on George Clooney? That's not living very aloha, if you ask me.

• Dec 14, 2020

I enjoyed this one more than I expected. By the end of the film, Clooney's character seems to have gained appreciation for his incredible patience and ability to be the bigger person through everything. Guy was just trying to do the right things in a tough situation. Amara Miller was unexpectedly hilarious. Woodley did a great job with her character too. I'm glad this movie didn't try to pour on some unrealistically optimistic or hopeful ending. Bad things happen and we have to deal with it, adapt, and move on and sometimes there is no happy ending.

• Nov 29, 2020

Awful, awful, awful. Writing was terrible, poorly acted. Everything about this story, which was supposed to be poignant, was completely phony and trite. Just terrible.

• Nov 29, 2020

The Descendants is not muddled with the normal emotions we could expect. Edging into the 2nd Quarter of my own life has engrained these typical feelings. Clooney's performance although professionally out of line, it is refreshingly against the grain in this watch.

• Nov 28, 2020

This is a film you can see more than once and still enjoy--George Clooney just keeps getting better.

• Nov 03, 2020

For those looking for escapism in their movies, "The Descendants" is not the right choice. However, if you find yourself wanting to watch something realistic and deeply human, this is a great and authentic movie. More than anything else the characters just feel real and their reactions to this tragedy feel honest. The actors do a fantastic job across the board here and George Clooney gives a particularly memorable performance. I also really liked the dialogue in the movie and found myself invested in many scenes where characters were just talking. The movie isn't fast or exciting like many drama movies try to be, but still works very well. Overall, the movie truly immersed me into these character's lives and I felt empathy for all of them on this fascinating journey.

• Aug 17, 2020

Great performance by George Clooney

Great performance by George Clooney

• Jul 29, 2020

In the opening of THE DESCENDANTS, George Clooney narrates that Hawaii isn't the fantasy world the mainlanders think it is. From there, the story unfolds about a family of large landholders, one of whom is suffering through tragedy while the rest of the extended family waits to see if they are going to collect on the sale of their trust land. To be clear, collecting on the trust land has nothing directly to do with the tragedy. The story has a lot of familiar beats. It's based on a book about the family of landholders. What it has is some excellent performances, and a Hawaiian landscape and elemental themes complementing the story. It's worth a watch for Hawaii.

• Jul 19, 2020

Sweet, almost too sweet. Good drama proves things don't have to blow up to be a good flick.