The Details - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Details Reviews

September 6, 2014
Fun to watch. Weirdly funny. Laura Linney can play anyone. What an actress!
½ July 28, 2014
A unique story of a guy that gets tangled up in a web of lies & mistakes, to me its not a comedy but a story of a man who makes mistakes then tries to amend them by giving a man who is dying a second chance. Maguire & Banks are two actors I enjoy watching. It's a weird tale but enjoyable.
½ July 28, 2014
Go watch this immediately.
½ June 14, 2014
"The Details" lives up to it's plot in that it gives American's their fantasy story about characters who's lives are worse than their own.
April 13, 2014
It may be uneven, too dark for some, too campy for others, but above all that, The Details tells a story that needs to be told. This is one of those special movies that ever so slightly changed the fabric of who I am after viewing. With one of the best endings in cinema in years (I'm gonna go with....since American Beauty), The Details has something very important to say, and actually has the balls to flat out say it.
March 8, 2014
entertaining, pretty over looked.
½ January 25, 2014
Enjoyable enough but for the plot it doesn't seem sinister as it should be with the actors. Love Toby Maguire and would watch the little cutie in anything (does he ever age btw?) Laura Linney is good as usual but, while the acting is fine, the lack of chemistry makes it not ring true.
½ January 20, 2014
I see this movie was quite disliked by most, and i really cannot see why that is. I really enjoyed it.... I though Tobey Maguire gave a very interesting performance that i enjoyed. It was one of those movies that I was interested in, looked online saw people didn't like it so it didn't watch it. But I finally got the courage to watch it and really liked this movie. I don't know if I'd recommend it though.... I mean looking at others consensus, i'm not sure. Maybe just my cynical side, or my dark humor side that likes "The Details", but I did like it
January 7, 2014
Muy aburrida, pretendieron hacer una pelicula de trama extraña , lo es, pero les salio aburridisima
December 24, 2013
I like quirky comedies but this failed. Way off the mark.
December 14, 2013
Not great, but generally entertaining and enjoyable. Good performances, especially by Laura Linney, who I thought was better here than in anything else I've seen her in. Why didn't she get nominated for an award for this? She deserved it. I would call this a dark comedy/light thriller, and the cast is strong, so if you're in the mood for that, give it a try.
December 3, 2013
Man this movie is fucked up and evil. Even the ending is mean and dark, which makes it more likable. It's not perfect by any means, the pacing slows down a lot at times, still it's fun seeing Tobey do some dark shit.
½ November 23, 2013
All the characters are the kinds of people we see everyday that we think we know. Just goes to show you. For a while there, I hoped Dr. Lang (Maguire) would off himself just to put everyone else out of his misery. Finally, the narcissistic coward still blames the raccoon. Good flick.
November 20, 2013
Really anticlimactic and strange film.
October 24, 2013
This got bad reviews? Have critics seen the kind of dog shit that is out there lately? This may be a weird take on the farce, but it's well-written and well acted. Not a great film, but certainly not deserving of the bad ratings it has received. Toby Maguire gets to stretch. Laura Linney gives an awards-worthy performance.
October 21, 2013
I loved the performances by Tobey Maguire and Dennis Haysbert. Maguire himself exercised a brilliant balance between an aloofness caused by being rich and a white knuckled rage from being the receiver of cosmic derision. Dennis Haysbert was more than convincing as a man used to misfortune yet still tenacious as if he was a teenager. It wasn't a perfect film; I preferred Estes's first film, Mean Creek for being more hard-driven, less fragmented, less vague about characters, and overall more powerful. Still, I laughed out loud several times and I never ceased to be in awe of the two aforementioned performances.
½ October 19, 2013
I actually thought this film was excellent. Tobey Maguire is great as always, and the rest of the cast is right up there with him. The intelligent use of subtle foreshadowing calls back to Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom (one of my favorite films of all time). This movie communicates how little problems can escalate and completely destroy lives, and it does so with flair and a ton of humor while managing to have incredibly dark scenes at the same time.
½ October 5, 2013
Screw the haters, I enjoyed this! For those of us who knew who Tobey Maguire was BEFORE Spider-Man, you will find lots of entertainment here. This is a dark comedy, not a light one. You will laugh at very strange circumstances, or you will turn your nose up and be appalled. Personally, I liked it!
½ September 30, 2013
Terrible story about unbelievable, immoral characters.
½ September 22, 2013
Definitely interesting. Not what I expected. Good story writing.