The Details - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Details Reviews

December 24, 2013
I like quirky comedies but this failed. Way off the mark.
December 14, 2013
Not great, but generally entertaining and enjoyable. Good performances, especially by Laura Linney, who I thought was better here than in anything else I've seen her in. Why didn't she get nominated for an award for this? She deserved it. I would call this a dark comedy/light thriller, and the cast is strong, so if you're in the mood for that, give it a try.
December 3, 2013
Man this movie is fucked up and evil. Even the ending is mean and dark, which makes it more likable. It's not perfect by any means, the pacing slows down a lot at times, still it's fun seeing Tobey do some dark shit.
½ November 23, 2013
All the characters are the kinds of people we see everyday that we think we know. Just goes to show you. For a while there, I hoped Dr. Lang (Maguire) would off himself just to put everyone else out of his misery. Finally, the narcissistic coward still blames the raccoon. Good flick.
November 20, 2013
Really anticlimactic and strange film.
October 24, 2013
This got bad reviews? Have critics seen the kind of dog shit that is out there lately? This may be a weird take on the farce, but it's well-written and well acted. Not a great film, but certainly not deserving of the bad ratings it has received. Toby Maguire gets to stretch. Laura Linney gives an awards-worthy performance.
October 21, 2013
I loved the performances by Tobey Maguire and Dennis Haysbert. Maguire himself exercised a brilliant balance between an aloofness caused by being rich and a white knuckled rage from being the receiver of cosmic derision. Dennis Haysbert was more than convincing as a man used to misfortune yet still tenacious as if he was a teenager. It wasn't a perfect film; I preferred Estes's first film, Mean Creek for being more hard-driven, less fragmented, less vague about characters, and overall more powerful. Still, I laughed out loud several times and I never ceased to be in awe of the two aforementioned performances.
½ October 19, 2013
I actually thought this film was excellent. Tobey Maguire is great as always, and the rest of the cast is right up there with him. The intelligent use of subtle foreshadowing calls back to Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom (one of my favorite films of all time). This movie communicates how little problems can escalate and completely destroy lives, and it does so with flair and a ton of humor while managing to have incredibly dark scenes at the same time.
½ October 5, 2013
Screw the haters, I enjoyed this! For those of us who knew who Tobey Maguire was BEFORE Spider-Man, you will find lots of entertainment here. This is a dark comedy, not a light one. You will laugh at very strange circumstances, or you will turn your nose up and be appalled. Personally, I liked it!
½ September 30, 2013
Terrible story about unbelievable, immoral characters.
½ September 22, 2013
Definitely interesting. Not what I expected. Good story writing.
September 12, 2013
Reminded me a lot of Very Bad Things only not nearly as dark nor as funny.
September 12, 2013
Putting my dislike for Tobey Maguire aside, "The Details" remains entertaining despite a constant shift between quirky comedy and thoughtful drama. The question burning on my mind was how Jeff Lang (Macguire) could have gone so long prior to this film's events without messing everything up completely, because "The Details" is that film where the lead character falls down a rabbit hole of mistakes. Sexually frustrated and boyish ignorant, Jeff cheats on his wife twice, gets his neighbor's cat killed, and loses a ridiculous amount of money, all to keep his wife from finding out. The only difference, in this film, is that all the characters are equally bad and the eventual conclusion is original in that most "rabbit hole" films don't take the higher road where those affected understand the predicaments at hand. Elizabeth Banks does a decent job remaining likable as the stuffy stay-at-home mom, Macguire does nothing to change my slanted opinion about him, and in very small roles, Kerry Washington and Dennis Haysbert blow me away with their impeccable ability to embody their characters and instantly garner emotions toward them. Haysbert's character is by far the best thing about the film and produces most of the serious emotions brought on throughout the film, which makes his eventual arc that much more sad and disturbing. Had the entire film focused on a level of emotion like this, it would have completely stood apart from any quirky comedies today. Instead, its absurdity brings it to the same base level that come from most swept-under-the-rug comedies.
½ September 7, 2013
Strange movie. Strange concept...
September 2, 2013
not sure what the movie wants to deliver.......
August 31, 2013
Meh, this was dark and weird and not great. Spiderman let me down. I just wish it would have been his wife in the park instead of the neighbor. Extra half star for a crazy Ray Liotta.
½ August 28, 2013
Disregard the stats on this one. It is a minor masterpiece. A must-see. I don't know whats wrong with the other people.
½ August 24, 2013
hilarious and quirky i liked it alot
August 23, 2013
This is a potentially very average film, however, Toby Maguire's voice and face make it almost unbearable. In order to better enjoy this film, I would recommend either blindfolding yourself or plugging your ears before watching it. If you find that you still can't take it, then doing both is also acceptable.

I would also argue against this film being classified as a comedy, as I can't really remember laughing at any point. A more appropriate classification would possibly be fantasy, as a man who looks and sounds like Toby Maguire would never be permitted to be in a five metre radius of women as attractive as Elizabeth Banks or Kerry Washington, never mind actually having sex with them. Witchcraft or some sort of sorcery would definitely be required.
August 20, 2013
Wow.. As they say, don't sweat The Details... Well they were wrong!!! CRAY CRAY Hilarious!!