The Devil's Arithmetic (1999)

The Devil's Arithmetic (1999)

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

The Devil's Arithmetic Photos

Movie Info

Kirsten Dunst stars in this drama as a Jewish teenager who doesn't care much about her family's religious heritage until she's transported back in time to Poland in 1941, where she learns a valuable lesson about the struggles of her family -- and her people.
Rating:

Myra Fooden
as Aunt Ethel
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for The Devil's Arithmetic

There are no critic reviews yet for The Devil's Arithmetic. Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates!

Audience Reviews for The Devil's Arithmetic

A respectful film to book adaption, it depicts the atrocities of the Holocaust with realism and sensitivity, Kristen Dunst and Brittany Murphy give strong and genuine performances

MarieBella Cullen
MarieBella Cullen
½

Alternate title: "And This Is Why It's Important to Be a Good Little Jewish Girl." I know, I know, the film was based on a novel for children, so some simplification can't be avoided, and it was made for TV, which doesn't help. As a movie that was shot in Toronto and in Vilnius, Lithuania (where I spent part of the summer of 2011, and learned a lot about Jewish Lithuanian history), I almost wish I had paid money for it, but it was so bad, I'm glad that I didn't. To yoke Passover and the Holocaust in this way feels cheap, and the heavy-handedness makes it virtually unwatchable. Kirsten Dunst and Brittany Murphy are head and shoulders above the rest of the cast, talent-wise, though Murphy's performance (and accent) wavers from good to horribly over-acted and back a few times before the film ends. A well-intentioned film that, if not for its clunky explanatory frame and its clichéd, brutally-written middle, might have been worth watching; as it is, though, it's highly skippable.

Daniel Perry
Daniel Perry

Nice. We should NEVER forget what really happened.

Leigh Ryan
Leigh Ryan

The Devil's Arithmetic Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Devil's Arithmetic on our Movie forum!

News & Features