The Devil's Doorway Reviews

• Apr 17, 2021

Very good performances and a new fresh take on the classic found footage style.

Very good performances and a new fresh take on the classic found footage style.

• Feb 09, 2021

Mechanical ‘The Devil's Doorway' Plays Like a Collection of Horror's Greatest Hits

• Oct 24, 2020

The Catholic Church in Ireland held over 200 women in their institutions. Most of them were made up of orphans, prostitutes, and even mentally insane patients. This movie taking place in 1960 focuses on two priests Thomas Reiley and John Thornton looking into a so-called miracle. But they're in for a shocking revelation as it may not be so miraculous after all. This particular found footage movie is shot on 16 millimeter film in pan-and-scan aspect ratio. A chapel has one of its statues weeping blood and the further these priests dig deep into the mystery the more scary the ordeal becomes. Even more they discover the nuns to be very strict and disciplined feeling like they've been left cleaning up the messes left by the Vatican, the women are not treated very well, and there's probably practices of satanism with demonic possession. Are there no actual miracles? Is it more fun than scary to believe in something else? Evil is always around us. The bigger sin might be working to serve the man upstairs whilst not believing one bit. There's even some nice backstory to go with one of the priests making the filming of this experience much more eerie. A found footage movie that has great cinematography using the old school grain filter, chilling music, a great haunted setting with this church, and one hell of an ending that'll scare the wits out of fans who love this material. Director Aislinn Clarke delivers on the frights while also maintaining a fresh perspective on the ongoings of this Magadaline laundry filled with these women. A shorter film for sure but still effective.

• Oct 04, 2020

Rating: 4/10. 49/100

Rating: 4/10. 49/100

• Jun 15, 2020

The "found footage" format is overused in that very few films have done it without stretching the logic of someone constantly running around with a camera in dire situations. This film would have benefited from a more conventional filming format; the "found footage" angle here is just distracting. The plot is a dull as an unsalted cracker, although the setting is fantastic. With some imagination, this could have overcome even the "found footage" shortcomings. But instead, the writer decided to take the floor scrapings of better horror movies and sprinkle them throughout this tale. The characters are also rather flimsy: Doubting priest? Check. Young, naive priest to act as a foil? Check. Overbearing, sadistic nun? Check. Pregnancy shame? Check. Staid superstitious hokum? Check. The acting is notable and ultimately is what makes this predictable story entertaining. This movie passes the time, but doesn't offer anything new to the genre.

• Apr 25, 2020

cool footy, gets old quick. everyone is lying

cool footy, gets old quick. everyone is lying

• Feb 03, 2020

The acting was spot on, and well done. That's pretty much all that's good about this film. This film offers nothing new in the found-footage genre. Peppered with typical horror movie clichés and jumpscares, and the ending was slightly predictable. I would give this movie 1 star for its storyline, but I'm giving it an extra 2 stars JUST for the acting. The actors - especially the 2 lead actors - made this piece-of-shit-script of a movie really work! (As much as I wanted to hate on this movie, I found myself rooting for Fr. Thomas to get out of that underground cave - But we all know how the story ends for most protagonists in the found footage horror genre...)

• Sep 04, 2019

Admittedly, I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to found footage flicks, even enjoying ones that are universally derided by critics. Call it a guilty pleasure for genres. But I also think that The Devil's Doorway is a really creative and rather suspenseful film, especially with the use of Super 8 film as this took place in 1960. Admittedly as someone who is not Irish, trying to understand the dialogue is a bit tricky since the accents are thick, compounded by the fact that with using super 8 films, the voice audio comes off as muffled. There are also some technical aspect that I personally found confusing, the biggest aspect being the voices of the otherworldly entities. I won't spoil anything, but the voices of the entities are unusually crisp and clear. I can't tell if this aesthetic was a deliberate choice or not, but for me, it comes off as a bit distracting. But overall I found the film to be very entertaining and worth a watch, with subtitles of course.

• May 24, 2019

Good premise and would've been better with a different filming style. Hate the found footage bs and at one point I wanted to slap the one dude. Also the cliche of the light that keeps going out creating a semi strobe like effect. Lights don't work like that. Pisses me off

• Feb 20, 2019

unexpectedly fantastic horror. full of suspended and jumps.

unexpectedly fantastic horror. full of suspended and jumps.