The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no sh˘shitsu) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no sh˘shitsu) Reviews

October 8, 2016
If you love the show, this is a must watch. It is a flawless conclusion, and an amazing stand alone film to boot.
April 10, 2016
The pacing, atmosphere, animation, characters, dialogue and the incredibly intriguing plot all lead to one of, if not, THE best written story I've ever seen in an Anime film.

Even though I haven't seen the show that this film is based off (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), I still could almost follow the entire story as I was paying attention to the plot intricacies and twists and I did some background research on the characters and the synopsis of the show beforehand, so it's not an absolute requirement to watch the Anime series as I absolutely loved how interesting this film was and I felt connected with the characters; I especially felt the anxiety and confusion that Kyon felt throughout the course of the narrative.

I highly recommend this film for people who love time travel, alternate realities, parallel world-esque plots. You will really dig this film, just as long as you read up on the basic premise of the show, this movie and the characters that inhabit it as it will help you appreciate and understand it more.
August 28, 2015
Possibly one of the best movies I have ever seen before in my life!
½ January 12, 2015
Review In A Nutshell:

I am such an idiot. Why did I watch this before seeing the anime series that preceded it; the film does not spend a large number of time establishing its characters and relies on knowledge of the series in order to gain some sort of understanding. I actually had to pause for about 5-6 minutes, just so I could catch myself up with who these characters up online, and after a skim through, I had gained a better grip on them, but still wasn't enough for me to gain that sense of comprehension that I wanted. Nevertheless, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was an entertaining ride, with a complex and at times too convoluted story that manages to utilise its characters effectively, keeping me in thought on where and how all of its fantastical and science-fiction elements would come together.

The film allows the audiences to look past its complicated plot-devices, because it actually spends very little time on the gears and functions of the devices themselves, instead it reaches for something deeper, exploring more on the emotions of its characters, and how the sudden changes affect them at a personal level. Along with it, the characters depicted here are incredibly charming, full of imagination and most importantly, fun. These are characters that we could easily get lost in their personalities, not caring if all they do is mumble nonsense.

The film's ending may not be perfect, but I can see it growing on me the more I let it linger in my mind, understanding that it must be seen as a personal journey, rather than the large life-changing event that it actually is.

The visuals in this film were more like an upgrade of what could commonly be seen in an anime series, but it holds up on its own, allowing a sense of depth through its added detail, but ensuring it does not distract from the intimate and personal story it tells. My commendation and adoration for this film also stretches out to its musical elements, which is composed of a mixture of both original and non-original tracks, connected together with a tender and warm tone that touches us from the inside.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is a wonderful film that I would not doubt revisit in the future, which then I would have more knowledge of the characters and their history together. Damn, it has been a while since a film adaptation or follow-up of an anime has impressed me.
½ May 19, 2014
The first two seasons of this series basically build-up to this film; especially after sitting through all of "Endless Eight."
March 8, 2014
It test one's patience with it's excessive run time, but The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya's tonal shift into darker territory explores the characters in new ways (particularly Kyon) and creates new ideas unfound in the original series combined with excellent animation and voice acting on both tracks
½ February 24, 2014
This movie is entertaining in many different ways, but at the same time if you haven't seen the anime series there are numerous plot holes and many things that will make no sense to you. Kyon's narrative can be depressing at times but that's how he usually is. Also during the few times Asahina appears she is very irritating. The relationship between Nagato and Kyon is beautiful is yet heart breaking
September 1, 2013
If you like the TV series, it will be hard not to love this movie, even if you were not much of a fan before the movie may change your mind. Taking on a more serious tone than much of the TV series and lasting a marathon 2 and 3/4 hours this film just gets it correct. Although slow to start this movie explores and develops are protagonist and supporting characters far more than we have seen before accompanied by brilliant cinematography and direction this is a must for any Haruhi Fan.
August 1, 2013
After the Endless Eight fiasco, does this movie have what it takes to become the redemption that Kyoto Animation needed after the disappointing S2 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? Simply put, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is gripping, poignant, and immensely satisfying masterpiece that should be the standard of modern anime films or animated films in general. It stands out for how well executed the story flows with many twists & turns, and for its mesmerizing cast of characters specifically Kyon & Yuki Nagato who take the spotlight. One of the many lacking elements that the show lack was character development, this film acknowledge this by becoming a character study on those two characters, and this helps give them emotional depth and character development. The way how they portray these scenes are touching & epic to say the least. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous with careful attention to detail ranging from the backdrops of the city landscape to simple things like locks of hair or the swaying of scarfs. With a quiet, yet surprisingly epic scope accompanied with a fantastic classical score and great voice acting, this is top class at its finest! The only minor gripe that I have is that the first act is slow-paced so it might bore viewers, but the rest makes up for it. Both, sci-fi mystery & human drama, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is a masterful installment, and Kyoto Ani should be commended!
Overall score: 10/10

Note: You must watch the first two seasons (even the Endless Eight) beforehand in order to be fully invested with these characters and understand some key moments from the movie.
July 23, 2013
This is quite possibly the greatest film I've ever seen. I say this because of its beautiful animation, stunning storyline, and great voice acting, the kind that you would expect from a high budget movie of a popular anime. The film is long, and to my understanding the longest animated film ever made however when you are watching it the time flies by, but not so you wouldn't notice how fantastic this masterpiece is. I would recommend watching the series "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" before the film however if you really don't want to I suppose it would work without.
June 12, 2013
Disappearance simply delivers all of the series strengths and none of its weaknesses; a tense, brooding narrative, memorable characters, and subtle yet powerful sci-fi themes. Without ever threatening to explode or provide unnecessary climax, Disappearance holds its world in the balance and its viewer on the edge.
February 25, 2013
If you have never seen the series, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, YOU WILL NOT KNOW ANYTHING THAT IS GOING ON.

Overall it's an okay anime movie, but you have to watch the series first. The movie is really long but if you're a fan of Haruhi you can probably handle it.
½ November 2, 2012
Fabulous! I couldnt imagine this piece of work could turn out to be this fascinating and surprising.
September 3, 2012
You definitely need to watch the anime series to understand and appreciate this movie. The animation, score, [english] voice acting, and overall story was all great. The movie was really long, but it wasn't overly slow paced. An exceptional movie.
½ August 25, 2012
Woah! I was dumbfounded after watching this anime film; I never knew that it has the anime series *which is quite puzzling and makes you dizzy; Oh well, I thought I got the message but I didn't; I enjoyed the film though - quite dragging and interesting
August 22, 2012
A brilliant continuation of a brilliant series. It provides further insight into the characters and into the series in general.
July 25, 2012
NOT FAIR! I was watching this but its got too much continuity from the series to make sense to a non-fan! I didn't even know it was based off anything until things that didn't make sense piled up to a ridiculous degree. IDK if I'll watch all the anime and then come back to it, but I was definitely enjoying it.
July 22, 2012
A fantastic continuation of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. You have to watch the series to understand this movie, since it references past plot points and characters. A long but satisfying adaptation of the fourth light novel, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is a fantastic character study/sci fi movie that fans of the series will enjoy. I certainly did.