The Dish & The Spoon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dish & The Spoon Reviews

April 6, 2018
One of the BEST FILMS I've ever seen. Original. Perfectly Written and Directed. Surprising. Painfully and satisfyingly AUTHENTIC and true.. Applicable to a myriad of situations. Boy - is THIS 58% Rotten Tomato-Meter rating ever off-base.
February 28, 2017
Honestly... not what I was expecting... it was definitely different.
March 23, 2014
A strange story that does not make much sense. The main character Rose is overcome with anger over her husband's affair. Rose befriends a British teenage boy and a friendship ensues. This is where I couldn't relate anymore. Why would anyone become friends with someone who has such a volatile temper and even fall in love with her. But I guess that is what happens in movies. You can go right ahead and put the dish and spoon straight into the dishwasher!
½ January 5, 2014
Two casually artistic characters (one quirky, one twee) mumble and meander across a landscape filtered through Belle & Sebastian.
December 18, 2013
It's fully possible the presence of alcohol, sleeping pills and bitterness present in my system at the time of viewing provided me with such a favorable opinion of this movie. Seemingly sort of searing--given the strange, happenstance, and all too often transient (read: doomed) situations we find ourselves in, I couldn't help but identify, I guess. Or just appreciate. And the soundtrack was kind of nice, too, I think.
April 4, 2013
This movie starts off about Rose's marital issues, but quickly turns into a twisted romance between Rose and a British teenager she finds. The movie sort of spirals into different directions from there until Rose finally confronts the woman her husband cheated on her with. That doesn't amount to much, though, and she ends up ditching the teenager she strung along to return to her husband.
Harlequin68
March 5, 2013
Driving off crying and apparently in her pajamas to boot, Rose(Greta Gerwig) is too upset to have remembered her wallet, leaving her just enough money for the breakfast of champions, donuts and beer. She would prefer enjoying this delicious meal in the privacy of a lighthouse but discovers a young englishman(Olly Alexander) sleeping there. Concerned for his welfare, she offers to drive him to a hospital but he waves her off. Instead they go to the brewery where until very recently the woman who had an affair with Rose's husband worked. As long as they are there, they have a beer or ten, while playing hangman and Rose discloses her plans.

To be honest, "The Dish and the Spoon" does not have much in the way of a story, just people living in the past which applies to not just Rose, a mentally unstable woman, just as it is occasionally good to get away to gain some perspective. At the same time, neither of the lead characters seemed to have existed before the movie started. Otherwise, it is up to the Delaware Tourism Board and the two talented lead actors to produce anything of substance and just as importantly to prevent the movie from going over the ledge into cringeworthy territory.
November 28, 2012
This is just not my type of movie.
½ June 25, 2012
The Dish & The Spoon isn't so much an indie movie but a mainstream idea translated in an indie format. The medium pace speed and the sorrowful tone of the movie gives it the feel of humanity in such a turbid time. *(Greta/writers give one of the best definition for Thanksgiving I've heard in a while)
June 23, 2012
One of the best indie films you will see this year. Its my new garden state movie of the year, its just done so well, the acting, music, scenes, everything just sucks you in this crazy world their in. I loved watching this these too get too know each other. Without saying anything, about this movie I wish more movies were done like this, so real, so alive, so amazing.
February 14, 2012
Beautifully shot, perfectly scored, and Gerwig and Alexander have exquisite on-screen chemistry -- not exactly romantic, but magnetic and compelling in a weirdly familiar, fascinating way. I love this movie.
December 4, 2011
Greta Gerwig has incredible comic timing. She plays quirky lovable roles extremely well. Olly Alexander, also, did a great job! Not going to spoil it, but this movie has one of the funniest lines, I've ever heard. This is truly an independent feeling film with no Hollywood feel whatsoever. Maybe that's what I loved about it. It doesn't spell anything out for you, leaves lots for you to interpret yourself. Let it be whatever you want it to be. See for yourself.
November 5, 2011
Remains one of those quirkfests that bears nothing very much to do with life as you or I know it: under the film's "locations" heading on IMDb, it should read Cloud Cuckoo Land.
½ October 1, 2011
"The Dish & The Spoon" has excellent moments, but those moments don't make up for a very drawn out hour and a half. Director Alison Bagnall does a terrific job creating tension, but every time she releases it she makes us go through elongated 'draught periods' where absolutely nothing happens on screen. I don't mind having moments (or even whole films) of realism, but when your story has such compelling undercurrents like "Dish & Spoon" does, these segments of blah kill the genius. If it weren't for the individual moments, and outstanding performances, this movie would be a total miss.
½ June 5, 2011
Slight film grounded by two excellent performances. Greta Gerwig is known but I was especially impressed with Olly Alexander. Nothing groundbreaking but quietly, emotionally truthful film worth a look.
½ April 23, 2011
A must for Greta Gerwig fans. And if you aren't a Greta Gerwig fan, what's the matter with you?
March 18, 2011
A low-budget, highly enjoyable film about an unexpected connection between a broken young woman and a younger man. Rose, played with great vulnerability by Greta Gerwig, is suffering from a breakdown after learning of her husband's affair. She leaves town in search of the other woman but instead finds a stranded British teenager, played by the captivating Olly Alexander, with whom she forms an unlikely bond.

The two grow closer as they spend several days together in a sleepy Delaware beach town, which itself seems to play a character in the film. Theirs is a unique relationship, bordering on romance, and characterized by small (often amusing, often touching) adventures as Rose continues her search for the woman and begins the process of healing.

The talented Olly Alexander also plays piano and sings in the film.

A beautiful independent film that deserves to be seen.