The Do-Deca-Pentathlon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Do-Deca-Pentathlon Reviews

½ November 15, 2014
Sibling rivalry flick that strikes me on a personal level, and succeeds in getting laughs & holding your attention. Mad props to the Duplass duo to include laser tag as one of the fierce competitions (hell yes).
June 22, 2014
Nothing in this very long 76 minute mess grabbed me or rang true. The style just annoyed me. It was in the camera style of The Office or Parks & Rec with quick zoom ins and outs, but it had none of the good acting, writing or humor of those great series. I should've quit this movie halfway through when I realized I just didn't like it at all. Very disappointing from Mark Duplass. I get the kernel of the idea here, but it just didn't work on screen and especially with these actors.
January 7, 2014
Funny. Sweet. Slice of life.
½ December 29, 2013
Another odd yet effective film from the Duplass brothers. This one feels like it was drawn from personal experiences, which helps in its realistic feel. Quiet moments emphasize the bubbling tension between brothers, capped with outbursts of frustration. The Duplass's prove yet again their true skill at writing.
December 9, 2013
An OK indie-comedy, but it's basically just two brothers dealing with their unwarranted immaturity. Could've done with better actors, but it tries and somewhat succeeds. No huge laughs, but an OK soundtrack and a quick run time help it not be boring.
½ November 25, 2013
The wisest choice of all is to cast talented unknown actors, who make these characters and the absurd goings-on feel that much more real--and hence all the more funny. I say SEE IT!!!
September 12, 2013
Embracing the nature of sibling rivalry and a desire to return to the familiar, The Duplass Brothers bring a dark comedy that lives and breathes reality with every passing event. Steve Zissis and Mark Kelly play brothers Mark and Jeremy who haven't communicated most of their lives but meet up one weekend when Mark and his wife and son visit their mother for his birthday weekend. With Mark stressed out and on medication, everyone sees Jeremy's presence as a bad thing. However, when he pitches the self-titled, made-up Do-Deca Pentathlon to Mark, which they did as kids with no clear winner, Mark is determined to beat his brother, at any cost necessary, including lying to his family, missing his birthday party, and causing multiple scenes. As much as the stakes are a little melodramatic at times, the comedy is there. With believable performances from Zissis and Kelly, the film stays on track for most of its run. Unclear as to the actual motives of the wife, Stephanie (Jennifer Lafleur) and her instant hatred for the competition, her part in the film feels derivative, a hindrance for the sake of hindrance. "The Do-Deca-Pentathlon" screams the styling of the Duplass Brothers, and continues their recent run with available, dark comedies. Still surprising that Jay and Mark did not star in the film, you have to wonder how much of this is autobiographical between the two.
August 2, 2013
This movie is funny at times, but is probably about 45-minutes too long. It should have been a short film, or it could have been a sit-com episode. There are some laughs and the story is fun and interesting, but why try and make this into a 75-minute film.
June 13, 2013
Awesome. So much is so true. It doesn't matter what age you are guys will always love the competition.
June 11, 2013
A mostly charming, often downright goofy indie comedy, but lacks a satisfying resolution and gets just a bit too serious towards the end
½ May 28, 2013
Do-Deca-Pentathalon is a fun and realistic depiction of brotherly competitiveness. The film's originality, lightness, and emotion makes up for the fact that the characters get dug into, but never deep enough to fully understand them.
May 20, 2013
Typically low-key character study by the Duplass Brothers that successfully explores the role of jealousy within sibling relationships. Now if they would only find a real cinematographer and get rid of the cutesy The Office stylistics they seem so fond of... Also the acting us mediocre at best.
May 8, 2013
Despite the distracting camerawork, it works emotionally in telling the history of brothers whose solely idiom is the competition.
½ February 24, 2013
Starts a bit slowly. Had me rolling.
½ February 15, 2013
A film with great heart, showing how the small things can affect a family for better or for worse.
½ February 14, 2013
Very disappointing. The filmmakers never captured what they were looking for. Plotted out poorly, as well.
January 27, 2013
While there is a joke here - the fact that it focusses on the complete childishness of two men and does not further develop it - really lets this down
January 27, 2013
i've come to expect a lot from a duplass brothers film. "the do-deca pentathlon" is incredibly well written and acted, and is even funnier than it is touching. it may be my least favorite from the directors catalog, but considering how great their films usually are, that's not really a negative thing here.