The Dragon Pearl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dragon Pearl Reviews

July 16, 2016
An admirable attempt to make a Spielberg family film. The story is straightforward and thus predictable but the exploration of a Chinese legend is still interesting enough. Biggest problem are the characters and the acting by the two child leads. They aren't given much to work with and their lack of experience shows. Sam Neil is the only decent actor and he more or less plays the same character from Jurassic Park.

There is a Jackie Chan type character in a supporting role. He's fine, but no Jackie. He's mostly there for comedy and the comedy in this film is all over the place. Would have been better if they plaid it straight.

But the film was bold enough to make fun of the Mummy 3.
½ December 10, 2015
It's not as bad as it looks but this low budget adventure is boring rather than exciting.
December 10, 2015
Clearly a low budget movie and it acts upon it. The cast can't act, the story is dull, and the effects are apparently fake.
½ September 27, 2014
Great family fun, cool dragon -- great special effects in bringing a Chinese Dragon to life!
June 25, 2014
Beautiful story and beautiful setting with so much unused potential. Disappointing.
April 30, 2014
A mixed Chinese and English Children's adventure to talk to a dragon.
January 3, 2014
Very good fantasy film.
½ October 19, 2013
A fine adventure, family film. Runs like a novel. Thankfully, not as corny as it could have been, as other live action kids movies. The soundtrack may be orchestration but is unsatisfactory.
October 1, 2013
I think I made it about a half hour, maybe into the movie and wow it wasn't giving me anything. The acting, writing, everything was pretty terrible. Sam Neill couldn't even save anything and all I wanted to see was the dragon. Then I did and it was lame. Oh well, gave it a shot, but when I have to turn a movie off, it is insanely bad because I've sat through total garbage before. I'm sure the filmmakers worked hard to tell this story but next time, just aim higher.
September 6, 2013
my kids really liked it..
July 7, 2013
Cute, predictable movie. Kids should like it.
October 8, 2012
the chinese guy is sooo funny!
September 3, 2012
Nice, as far as kid's adventure movies go.
½ October 14, 2011