The Duelist (Duelyant) Reviews

• Nov 12, 2018

As a historian and a period film lover, I thought this flick was excellent--tight plot that really expresses the excessiveness of the nobleman't displaced sense of honor in a world that is moving from the Middle Ages mores to an industrial society where the noble class just no longer has a real purpose and is floundering. Gorgeous production values and costuming make this a joy to watch, as does the darkly brooding Fedorov. Loved it!

• Feb 27, 2018

Malgré quelque bonnes idées et le fait que The Duelist est un autre exemple du nouveau savoir-faire russe en matière de cinéma, le film tend à perdre en efficacité surtout vers la fin du récit. On pourras par contre tout de même apprécier l'esthétique du film.

• Nov 24, 2017

I watched it- it's all dressed up with no place to go. Beautifully mounted but the acting is so stilted you could put wheels under the cast and wheel it anywhere. Vlad, Yuri, and Pyotr stand out but are lost in the endless of rain deluge that pervades the entire picture.

• Nov 18, 2017

Much much better than the critics rated it. Great movie!

Much much better than the critics rated it. Great movie!

• Nov 02, 2017

I really liked this movie. A dark history of revenge with dark characters in a dark environment, a dark adventure set in a time when Russian aristocracy was already rotten inside. The thing I enjoyed the most is that it is a very different adventure to the "good guys" vs "bad guys" so loved by Hollywood. In this sense, this is quite literally a movie on the conflict between a murderer and a very bad man.

• Jan 04, 2017

This movie in good style. That's all.

This movie in good style. That's all.

• Dec 07, 2016

Terrible dialogs and nasty people . The surroundings are kinda ok but it is definitely not enough.