The Elephant In The Living Room - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Elephant In The Living Room Reviews

½ June 6, 2015
Very well put together and gripping story about a serious issue involving exotic pets....I didn't expect much going into the documentary and was pleasantly surprised. 3.5 stars
½ May 7, 2015
Holy crap, there's some harrowing shit, in here...
December 31, 2014
I completely understand the argument of this film and i am whole heartedly compassionated towards Tim Harrison--an Ohio Police officer whose friend was killed by an exotic animal and now fights every day to re-home these types of exotic 'pets'--and Terry Brumfield--a disturbed but heartbreaking elderly man who is raising FIVE lions in trailers and made shift cages--but the story and/or message is somewhat lost or weakened by a misunderstanding of storytelling and documentary filmmaking on the directors part. The score--borderline Sarah McLachlan SPCA commercial bad--is so in your face and unrelenting that is numbing. Though a great subject to do a documentary on, i cant help but wonder what the outcome would be in a more subtle filmmakers hands.
June 16, 2014
Both touching and terrifying.
April 28, 2014
big kittys and baby kittys xx
½ March 7, 2014
Pretty cool. Just feel like I could've seen photos with captions and gotten the idea and education from it. Lots of interviews but the title is more entertaining than the actual documentary.
February 21, 2014
Thought-provoking, profound, & heartbreaking. A film about the exotic trade & the effects on both humans & animals. Compassionate souls will shed agonizing tears viewing this film. Tears & perhaps anger particularly will be shed for a small family of lions that are owned by a private owner in Ohio throughout the documentary. Noteworthy, unforgettable, & haunting doc.
February 14, 2014
Heartbreaking for the animals, but a real eye opener for the American sub-culture of keeping exotic pets
December 17, 2013
An amazing powerful movies that introduces the exotic animal trade in the US and follows Terry and his lions through all of their troubles and their sad ending.
August 10, 2013
As documentaries go.....this is done superbly. I cannot imagine keeping these animals caged as they do. The story of the lions kept in a horse-trailer and their owner is particularly gut-wrenching, disgusting and heart-breaking all at the same time. Unbelievable that this still goes on unregulated.
½ April 19, 2013
A surprisingly powerful documentary about the unlikeliest of subjects.
½ April 3, 2013
should be spoilers for disturbing content. The fatal LONG electrocution of one of the lions still makes me sick and heartbroken 2 years later. It was irresponsible to show something that graphic w/ out telling people to brace themselves. If you like shocking horrifying animal stories or want to bitch slap someone who needs it in regards to responsible pet ownership, make sure not to miss Dealing Dogs. Horrifying and true. Humans are so undeserving and ungrateful.
March 9, 2013
Ethan called this "the best documentary I've ever seen." And yet, he rated it 4 stars. He is a tough reviewer. I'd give it a 3.5 probably.
December 28, 2012
I was not prepared for this movie. It's fantastic, but sad and haunting. Sticks with you.
November 29, 2012
Fascinating and well done documentary. A little spotty in places, but a pretty balanced portrayal of a worthwhile topic. .. Found myself thinking about it for days after. It's hard to believe that some people truly think an African lion or snake is a harmless household pet ...
½ November 24, 2012
Unbelievably sad, but true documentary. No one should be able to have an animal that could kill the owner as a pet. I was very interested in this documentary, but it focused too much on one man's story. This is why I won't go to Jungle Cat World etc.
November 18, 2012
one of the greatest movie/document Eries I've ever seen
November 2, 2012
Heartbreaking, shocking, and inspirational...if you love animals of all kinds you will need to see this documentary.
September 16, 2012
This was an alternately sad and infuriating movie. I don't know what possesses people to own wild animals as pets.