Reviews

• Jul 29, 2012

The set designs are truly epic, a fabulous recreation of the era. Unfortunately it also feels a little dry like a museum piece, in spite of the scope of passion and drama that unfurls.

• May 24, 2010

(** 1/2): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon13.gif[/img] A bloated epic. I liked the story from the beginning and was intrigued but the film became overlong and it seemed like the focus of the film drifted toward emphasizing the killing of thousands of people (mostly the empire's slaves) instead of the story of the emperor, his "brother" and the creation of a national song.

• Aug 29, 2009

An overlooked Chinese spectacular about personal relationship between the first emperor of China and his childhood friend which is a genius composer. Directed by one of the Chinese 5th Generation directors, Xiaowen Zhou. Unlike other big-scale Chinese film setting in ancient kingdoms, it does not have a single scene of martial arts or sword fighting, but it is still a first-class entertainment. What makes this film great is definitely performances by the two best actors of China today, Wen Jiang and You Ge - It is like DiCaplio and Pitt are in the same film. Especially You Ge plays the difficult role so professionally. Besides it is a good political suspense, it is also a great love story between the heroin who's the daughter of the emperor and You Ge's character, and the beauty of Qing Xu, who plays the heroin, is outstanding. Putting aside the question whether this story is really based on the real history, it has great performances and some unforgettable scenes which inspires me a lot.

• May 15, 2009

A memorable film with great performances by Jiang Wen & Ge You.

A memorable film with great performances by Jiang Wen & Ge You.

• Apr 03, 2009

Very nicely done Chinese period piece.

Very nicely done Chinese period piece.

• Dec 30, 2008

Chinese period pieces are awesome because you know everyone knows martial arts. Even the people who clearly don't have the physical aspects down pat are clearly able to spout nonsense about "the way of heaven". The movie itself was pretty good. Makes royalty look fucked up. I'm pretty certain they are. I like the more decorative ones in general but this historical drama was definitely interesting.

• Oct 11, 2007

An emperor and kingdom with tremendous momentum! I like everything in the film -- the way they talk, they walk, they act; their clothes; their custom. So facinating! The most moving scene is when the emperor walking towards the altar with the great music "Qin song" playing. That music! That lyrics! That drum!

• Aug 19, 2007

• Jun 29, 2007

The plots is a bit sloppy, especially the tying of the beginning and the end. Yes the emperor cries in the ends. But He can be crying out of happiness or Joy, rather the sadness he filled in his hearts as his friend who dies beside him. Its a bit twisted I think. But well done regardless. But the movie quality that I have seen is a bit old. Can't heard most of it, and have the time can't see things too clearly.

• Jun 27, 2007

A very interesting take on the story of the First Emperor of China, Emperor Qin. More from the point of view of his family members and his childhood friend, the musician Gao Jianli.