Reviews

• Dec 26, 2013

Silent Russian propaganda holds no surprises, narrative-wise, but the cinematography is above-average.

• Dec 06, 2011

A great portrait/cross-section, starting with a young peasant going to the city to find work, of a society leading to revolution, of (capitalist) exploitation and (state) oppression, and a great political (and moral) education. (And I swear a young Ayn Rand is in this film, appropriately in the role of the big capitalist's typist!) Curse the capitalist dogs, the neo-Kerenskies, who turned back Lenin's city into St. Petersburg!

• Oct 02, 2010

Great, especially in comparison to Einstein's 'October.' Character-driven and less painstakingly historically comprehensive.

• Sep 16, 2010

Considering that you will probably only watch this movie if you are studying film and probably only should watch it if your studying film this is okay. The message is pretty obvious, and it keeps getting pounded over the head with it. As if we wouldn't get it, but for film theorists and such it's interesting to talk about and considering it's getting close to being a century old it is pretty impressive. Watch it if you're into communism, silent films, Russia, or studying film.

• May 23, 2010

Para aprender sobre el formalismo ruso, Juan Mora Catlett nos hizo el favor de proyectarnos esta cinta de Pudovkin que muestra, justamente, la caída de todo un sistema en Rusia, un sistema opresor, controlado por grupos de poder como lo hacen en nuestro país hoy día y que, finalmente, es el pueblo quien termina dando la cara y es el pueblo quien restablece el orden a través de una lección de moral en el que se conjuntan los valores universales. El montaje, experimental y con edición relacional (conceptos totalmente nuevos para mi) nos transportan en con una serie de imágenes aparentemente arbitrarias a un mundo regido por el orden y el caos en el que nosotros asociamos lo que vemos con las situaciones que apreciamos. Toda la última parte me parece extremadamente llena de motivos que hacen vibrar al espectador de una forma que el cine comercial de nuestros tiempos no hacen. Agradecí ese buen momento.

• Oct 08, 2009

I think I know what was wrong with the USSR... their movies sucked! I saw one and thought it was awful. This one had a story and it was still pretty bad! The ending however was great! Some of the shots not too bad. The music was alright... but the ending was good- very Hollywood! However without this movement we wouldn't have the montage so we have to thank it. Even if it isn't very good!

• Aug 11, 2009

See it. Evaluate it. Learn from it..then go back 90 years later and say, look at all the subsequent film makers who used Sergei Eisenstein formulas...most recently (in my mind) Brian De Palma "Untouchables."

• Mar 24, 2009

Good without being excellent. Russian formalism is quickly boring! Deserves to be seen, if anything to appreciate how unique Eisenstein really is.

• Feb 16, 2009

fiercely didactic little fable about the deprivations of the underclasses in Tsarist Russia. Our protagonist wanders out of the farmlands when his wife dies and his sense of social justice runs afoul of the cruel factory boss (who all but twirls his moustache amidst his villainy). Jail and police brutality yield to the First World War and forced conscription. This is where the film really takes off with some truly arresting visuals. The revolution which follows is somewhat brief and poorly edited, but it does a decent effort of justifying the revolution to an audience viewing it 10 years later.

• Aug 31, 2008

Very interesting if you're looking into the early years of cinema. Like a lot of Socialist realism of the time, it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer, and I couldn't suppress giggles at the final scene with the potatoes, BUT... it must be said that film wouldn't be where it is today were it not for this film. The pre-WWI stockmarket scenes are uncannily familiar...