The English Teacher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The English Teacher Reviews

½ July 12, 2014
2.5 Stars, I liked this movie started but just didn't like how it turned out. Wasted the potential of being a decent film.
½ June 12, 2014
"Bad Teacher" was even better than this,,
½ April 23, 2014
This story was suprisingly delightful. The narrator was a strange addition to the movie until you settle into the idea of being told a story. I loved the cast in this and the sending was adorable.
April 20, 2014
Si Acirys, le di el rating.
½ April 15, 2014
While there is a laugh here and there, the entire film slowly becomes implausible and ridiculous by the second.
April 3, 2014
"The English Teacher" is one of the ridiculous comedy ever!" The performances by the hole cast are horrendous. The directing by Craig Zisk is cockamamie. The screenplay by Dan Chariton and Stacy Chariton is extremely foolish and tedious. And the score is okay. "I'm raving that "The English Teacher" is monotonous that will bored you half to death. Not a must see!!!"
½ March 22, 2014
A entertaining story with an interesting character thats played by julianne moore.
½ March 20, 2014
The offbeat comedy The English Teacher delivers some laughs, but it isn't nearly as clever as it pretends to be. When a high school English teacher attempts to put on a play written by one of her former students she ends up developing romantic felling for him. Starring Julianne Moore, Greg Kinnear, Lily Collins, and Nathan Lane, the cast is quite impressive and delivers some good performances. Additionally there's a quirky sense of humor to the film that gives it a unique tone. But before long it falls into cliches and stereotypes. The English Teacher is a decent bit of entertainment, but it's also formulaic and predictable.
½ March 8, 2014
Lessons learned: everybody cheats, everybody lies. It's a game one must learn how to play. Vanity may cause a buzz, but the introvert hero might enjoy a quiet, truer victory in the long run.
March 8, 2014
I quite enjoyed this movie because I didn't know what to expect. The storyline surprised with the direction that the director took it, and the acting was very believable, especially from Julianne Moore. It had the ability to have many other twists, but the director kept it simple and straightforward. The second half of the movie was a bit disappointing because the first half was going from one impossible situation to the next which makes it seem like it was written by 2 different people. At the end of the day it's a simple sweet movie which is watchable but nothing amazing.

Julianne Moore put in a great performance in this movie and she done a great job with bringing emotion to her role. I expected more from Greg Kinnear who has started in some big movies lately, but that was due to the writer who seemed to have concentrated on Julianne Moore character. The teachers made me laugh, but there not in the movie that much! which is a shame because there chemistry was a joy to watch. It does seem like a small low budget movie, even with Moore & Kinnear, but it's written well and the mixture of humour and drama really worked.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: $105,000 (Terrible!)

I recommend this movie to people who are into there comedy/dramas about a school teacher who ends up falling for her student. 4/10
½ March 2, 2014
Lighthearted chick flick. Good for a Sunday afternoon escape.
February 26, 2014
How can a movie with so many of my favorite ingredients -- Julianne Moore, a Broadway playwright, small town setting, Nathan Lane -- end up tasting so bitter? It has its moments, but they are scattered so sparsely that it's not really worth watching the whole thing to get to them.
February 25, 2014
Not a bad movie, people don't give different a chance.
½ February 24, 2014
This film was boring at first but it became interesting at times.
½ February 16, 2014
Quirky. I kinda liked it.
½ February 5, 2014
Will I become the kind of person that should be alone because I enjoy my solitude and too much fiction?
½ February 4, 2014
A train wreck of a movie with one very charming montage wedged in.
½ January 26, 2014
Lightly comic, or a modern farce depending on how you want to perceive it. It's not going to feature high on any movie related lists or the actors most memorable roles, but it's just about worthy a watch if you're in the mood.
January 22, 2014
Gentle comedy drama where an old pupil is given his chance of putting on a play thanks to his old english teacher. Nathan Lane gives the film a good injection of pace at the right times
January 20, 2014
It's about passion in books and plays