Evil Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evil Dead Reviews

October 23, 2016
Normally, I prefer a horror movie that features good story and characters and operates through subtly and suspense. This movie goes against everything I like in a horror movie, but I still like it. The story involves a group of friends attempting to force their friend to beat her drug addiction cold turkey. They hope to supervise her early stages of withdraw and remove her from the temptation of buying more drugs. Once they reach the cabin, they find several disturbing omens that should signal them to leave. Of course, they do not depart; they even find a book, bound with barbwire and clasped shut. It looks like the sort of thing you should leave alone. Like any horror movie demands, they open the book and read it. Then the chaos and carnage ensues. This movie is somewhat weak in the acting department, and the build-up is a little rushed. At least, it is better than the usual gore movie. Once the horror unleashes, it does not hold back or let up to the very end. It is relentless horror for over one hour straight. It is guilty of countless dumb teen-horror clichés, but it does so without coming off as cheesy. The visuals are completely terrifying. I am not a proponent of scaring people with blood, guts, and violence, but it is so effective here. It is intense horror by force in the vein of the 80s gore-fest, but it is more than that. If the characters mattered more and the acting improved, it would be even better. It is everything I was not looking for in a horror film, but even with the shortcomings, it delivers the scares.
October 22, 2016
Doesn't compare to the original, trying not hard enough to a horror thriller it was just gore and bore? I much rather watch the 80s version...
½ October 18, 2016
Is it as good as the original? No. Is it overly gory? Sometimes. Is it intense? Yes. Is it disturbing? Yes. Is it one of the better horror remakes of recent memory? Yes. Is it worth a watch? If you have the stomach for it, yes.
½ October 14, 2016
There's no real cult value to this remake, it's simply an update using tried and tested style and scare methods employed in many contemporary horrors'. That said it's not a bad effort.
½ October 1, 2016
While not on par with the originals, Evil Dead is still an enjoyable horror flick.
September 23, 2016
A very gross yet creepy movie, I Deffinetly had a fun time watching this. It has the most unnecessary gore, but in a way it works. With hints to the original this movie Deffinetly was a good remake. A side comment who names their dog "Grandpa"?
½ September 17, 2016
gory and also a little creepy
½ September 14, 2016
Apparently the witch in the basement swallowed this remakes soul. It really tried to be good, but could never break out and be great.
½ September 13, 2016
One of the goriest movies I've ever seen. It's not a complete match to the Evil Dead of 1981, but it's still a compitent and entertaining enough reboot. The gore effects are excellent, but have no campiness to them, something that made the original so good. And, the movie itself is also a little too dark and bloody, even for the series. But I watch remakes with a very open mind, so others may or may not like it. But still, recommended !!
½ September 8, 2016
This movie was nothing more than a gore fest. If you're into that, good for you but I hated it. There was basically no plot, poor writing, the worst ending I've ever seen and all it was was people dying and a lot of fake blood and screams. I don't even think the acting in this movie was very good. The only reason I gave this movie 2.5 stars is because it was so bad it was funny and I suppose it mediocre as a comedy.
½ September 4, 2016
Dullish remake with inferior gore effects, boring performances and absolutely no humour or scares. Visually it is interesting to look at, but that's about it.
August 29, 2016
One of the best remakes to a film I've seen this decade.
½ August 28, 2016
Gory good fun, not particularly scary. Evil Dead amps up tension through a well constructed atmosphere of dread and though the blood gets a little crazy it's very hard to look away. The characters are thin but that's to be expected in a movie where they are just human targets, but suprisingly the main lead manages to do some interesting stuff with her part.
August 27, 2016
Somewhat of an average Hollywood horror. As a remake, it serves well with fresh special effects and keeps you watching til the end. Undecided if I'd wasn't this one in the collection... I do enjoy the legend of the book of the dead. Somewhat riveting, but I felt this film could have been a but better.
August 26, 2016
I wouldn't say this movie was "horrifying" or "scary" in any way, but I definitely had to turn away during a lot of scenes and not look. Extremely gory/disturbing visuals.
August 26, 2016
With "Evil Dead," Fede Alvarez sacrifices the campy low-budget thrills of the original for ineffective jump scares, despite being noticeably creative with its makeup department, diminished use of CGI, and identifiable characters.

V: 66%
August 24, 2016
Great gory adaptation of Sam Raimi's classic movie. It grows on you every time you watch it again.
August 24, 2016
Despite its flaws to trace upon the pavement of the original, this unique remake is such an enjoyable film. It actually practices and pushes the art of makeup and can be quite a horrific tale to view. Need a good horror movie?Welcome to the Evil Dead of our generation. Bloody good!
August 19, 2016
This remake is entertaining. Though more focused on violence and gore instead of rather to balance those elements with the familiar "terror" the classic Evil Dead gave us. Yet, even so, this gives a new face for the Evil Dead movie when it comes to shocking the audiences with staining the screen red.
August 18, 2016
While it delivered on scares for me its shift in tone after the twist took me out of the movie. It was a better remake then I was anticipating but there is only one King I hail to! They make you earn that cameo too.

Acting 7