Evil Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evil Dead Reviews

½ August 18, 2017
Evil Dead is probably one of the goriest films I've ever seen. I can only assume that the film makers supplied several swimming pools filled with fake blood...because there is so much of it. Blood on the floor, blood on clothes, blood on faces, raining blood, blood on...wait a minute, raining blood!? Yes, it goes to that extreme. So Evil Dead is a remake of the original of the same name, we follow a group of teens in a cabin in a remote location who try to help their friend to stop taking drugs. They find the book of the dead and what ensues is a heck load of blood and gore! Oh, and all of the following: tree rape, slicing tongue and snogging someone, car crushing a girl's hand and her pulling it out...and my favourite, absolutely decimating someone with a chainsaw. I'm talking ripped to shreds! Total annihilation! Ohhhh so satisfying to watch...in a sick weird way. As you can probably tell, I enjoyed the hell out of this and have done for several viewings. It knows exactly what it is, a fun gory flick that does not take itself too seriously. Yes the characters are bland and expendable and yes the acting is mediocre, except Jane Levy who was actually really good. But you didn't watch this for an Oscar nominated performance. No no no you wanted to see a girl slice her mouth open with a shard of glass! I mean the enhanced use of makeup, prosthetics, costumes etc. just made the experience all the more enjoyable and authentic. I appreciated the dark comedic undertone, particularly from the possessed Mia, that definitely harked back to the original. Director Fede Alvarez did a good job, lots of creepy camerawork and I adored the opening bird's eye view shot where the teenagers are driving along the road. His usage of visual exposition, such as flashbacks to the opening scene, were pointless and unfortunately spoon fed us everything. You'll guess the whole plot in the first 10 minutes, which is its downfall. However, I wanted to see gore and it delivered...massively. My advice: don't read a book made of skin and wrapped in barbed wire. Just don't.
August 16, 2017
Excellent remake 5/5 . Jane Levy is fantastic . "I'll swallow your soul" live on . If you like horror this film is for you.
August 9, 2017
Terrible boring reboot movie I've seen in a long time starring who cares. I hated the original evil dead but the sequels and the new tv show is way way better than this garbage that I just watched. I hate this movie, without the icon ash Williams you can't make an evil dead movie without ash. This reminds me of saw and I hated saw, too brutal for me.
August 6, 2017
This film is all about the gore. Not much to the story, but that's not why I went to see it. Pays homage to the original and there were some really nice visual touches. Cool cameo post credits too. No surprises, worth a watch if you're up for a good gore fest.
July 12, 2017
One it kicks off (which doesnt take long) it doesnt stop. Irs great but at some point the adrenaline goes down while the film stills high
½ July 5, 2017
The perfect way to remake an absolute classic. it's true to the original, but brings something unique about it to stand out just enough. The director chooses to forego CGI, which helps give it an old school feel, while still managing to look incredible. The best horror movie of the past decade plus.
June 30, 2017
What a lovely gorefest. I loved the whole ride and man was it intense. People are so averse to change, but this blows the original right outta the water. It's an excellent and satisfying horror movie. I'm so glad I saw it in theaters!
½ June 29, 2017
Is it as good as the original? No. Is it overly gory? Sometimes. Is it intense? Yes. Is it disturbing? Yes. Is it one of the better horror remakes of recent memory? Yes. Is it worth a watch? If you have the stomach for it, yes.
June 19, 2017
It lacks the dark humor that made the originals classics, but Evil Dead more than makes up for it with more scares, gore, and even more brutal violence. Fede Alvarez adds an incredibly bloody touch to the franchise, and Jane Levy's performance as Mia Allen is actually my favorite part of the film. The final battle between Mia and the Abomination is one of the best horror movie showdowns ever. If you go into this movie expecting the same slapstick violence as the originals, you will be disappointed. If you go into it with a open mind and a willingness to be scared shitless, you will be more than satisfied.
June 12, 2017
An in your face thriller/slasher having not seen the originals (As of watching this) I thought it was fantastic. Maybe the comparison is what's brought it down in many peoples eyes, I'll know for sure later...but for right now this is non-stop thrill ride with a truly terrifying villain.
June 10, 2017
The magic of the original is lost here.
June 4, 2017
It's a decent horror movie that meets expectations.
½ May 26, 2017
An incredible remake, just as good as the Halloween remake, with amazing acting and gore. But has forgettable side characters and a confusing beginning
May 17, 2017
2009 Was 4 Years Old In 2013.
May 5, 2017
It's a pretty creepy movie
½ April 25, 2017
This is the typical 21st Century horror flick. Absolutely horrible.
½ April 16, 2017
Certainly succeeds at giving you that lingering uncomfortable feeling which I heavily look for in horrors. Lacks the dark humor from the original. But I'm not talking about relativity here. This is a Fantastically twisted, bloody stand alone horror film.
½ April 7, 2017
4.5/5. Possibly the greatest remake off all time. It is far superior to the original and some of the best gore effects I have ever seen.
April 2, 2017
Awesome and truly terrifying!!!
½ April 2, 2017
Cant quite compare it to the classic 1981 Sam Raimi extravaganza horror masterpiece but nevertheless it is extreme, violent, and filled with buckets of blood.