Evil Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evil Dead Reviews

August 9, 2017
Terrible boring reboot movie I've seen in a long time starring who cares. I hated the original evil dead but the sequels and the new tv show is way way better than this garbage that I just watched. I hate this movie, without the icon ash Williams you can't make an evil dead movie without ash. This reminds me of saw and I hated saw, too brutal for me.
August 6, 2017
This film is all about the gore. Not much to the story, but that's not why I went to see it. Pays homage to the original and there were some really nice visual touches. Cool cameo post credits too. No surprises, worth a watch if you're up for a good gore fest.
July 12, 2017
One it kicks off (which doesnt take long) it doesnt stop. Irs great but at some point the adrenaline goes down while the film stills high
½ July 5, 2017
The perfect way to remake an absolute classic. it's true to the original, but brings something unique about it to stand out just enough. The director chooses to forego CGI, which helps give it an old school feel, while still managing to look incredible. The best horror movie of the past decade plus.
June 30, 2017
What a lovely gorefest. I loved the whole ride and man was it intense. People are so averse to change, but this blows the original right outta the water. It's an excellent and satisfying horror movie. I'm so glad I saw it in theaters!
½ June 29, 2017
Is it as good as the original? No. Is it overly gory? Sometimes. Is it intense? Yes. Is it disturbing? Yes. Is it one of the better horror remakes of recent memory? Yes. Is it worth a watch? If you have the stomach for it, yes.
June 12, 2017
An in your face thriller/slasher having not seen the originals (As of watching this) I thought it was fantastic. Maybe the comparison is what's brought it down in many peoples eyes, I'll know for sure later...but for right now this is non-stop thrill ride with a truly terrifying villain.
June 10, 2017
The magic of the original is lost here.
June 4, 2017
It's a decent horror movie that meets expectations.
½ May 26, 2017
An incredible remake, just as good as the Halloween remake, with amazing acting and gore. But has forgettable side characters and a confusing beginning
May 17, 2017
2009 Was 4 Years Old In 2013.
May 5, 2017
It's a pretty creepy movie
½ April 25, 2017
This is the typical 21st Century horror flick. Absolutely horrible.
½ April 16, 2017
Certainly succeeds at giving you that lingering uncomfortable feeling which I heavily look for in horrors. Lacks the dark humor from the original. But I'm not talking about relativity here. This is a Fantastically twisted, bloody stand alone horror film.
½ April 7, 2017
4.5/5. Possibly the greatest remake off all time. It is far superior to the original and some of the best gore effects I have ever seen.
April 2, 2017
Awesome and truly terrifying!!!
½ April 2, 2017
Cant quite compare it to the classic 1981 Sam Raimi extravaganza horror masterpiece but nevertheless it is extreme, violent, and filled with buckets of blood.
March 31, 2017
I love the original Evil Dead movies, so I was pretty skeptical about a remake. That being said, although this remake is very different in its overall tone, I was impressed and found it to be a really great horror film. It has a strong feeling of dread all throughout the movie, with absolutely brutal scenes of violence and gore, a tiny bit of sick humor, and a hell of a satisfying ending. I think it hits all the marks for a good horror film.
½ March 28, 2017
A well done remake. Keeps the original story but with a new vision.
½ March 22, 2017
It took a lot of self convincing for me to watch this movie. I absolutely adore the original Evil Dead trilogy, so much to buy them each on blu-ray the very next day after watching them. When I heard there was a 2013 remake with an over the top focus on gore, I was worried. Despite seeing a fair amount of good reviews for it, I didn't know how I would feel when I consider myself an Evil Dead fan. So here I am... I finally watched Evil Dead (2013).

Before I hop right into the meat, bone, and bloody guts of Evil Dead (2013), I should state that when I watch a remake I look for what different steps it takes in comparison to the original. Too many remakes feel beat for beat similar with only special effects (name recognition money) giving it a reason to exist. Evil Dead (2013), however, thankfully brings some new organs to the body of the evil dead franchise.

Right from the start it is clear that this is a very different movie from the originals. I appreciate this a lot actually. While there are nods to the first two, it's not an exact carbon copy of The Evil Dead (1981). In comparison, Evil Dead (2013) is a more standard modern horror movie, but with a camera that is not shy to show bloody dismemberment. Just from that statement, you should be able to tell if this will be a movie for you.

The comedic parts like in The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2, have no presence in this movie... which is good in its own way despite having evil dead attached to its title. Speaking of which, there's not much evil dead to Evil Dead (2013). Yes, there are the same stuff like the cabin in the woods, the Necronomicon, and the dreaded cellar, but the very nature of the evil is different. Replacing the ultra quick camera zooms that mirror the evil in the original two, is a larger focus on the cabin itself. To me, the cabin in the original always just felt like a place that was taken control be evil deadites, but in this it almost felt like it was the cabin itself that was spawning the deadites. A small difference, but every difference counts for me.

The entire cast of The Evil Dead (1981), in my opinion, were good. Each character was given time to show their personality and let the audience develop a bond with them before being ripped to shreds... as most good horror movies should. This is not the case of Evil Dead (2013), which happens to be one of its biggest fault. There's the junkie sister, the brother, the maybe nerdy guy(?), the nurse, and the girlfriend brought along for some reason. So much time is spent for developing the brother and sister characters that it makes the other friends almost have little to no purpose. Jane Levy, who I had previously seen in Don't Breathe (2016), plays Mia (the sister). Levy is given a lot of development to her character, and rightfully so considering how great she is in this movie.

Moving on to the plot of Evil Dead (2013), it's the same as before, in some ways, but not entirely. Whereas in The Evil Dead (1981), five friends go to a cabin to have a fun weekend partying, Evil Dead (2013) has a darker turn with four friends (and one random girlfriend) go to a cabin to help Mia go through her withdrawals. A subtle change that I appreciate. I'm also glad the book of the dead wasn't read aloud the same way as before because I couldn't see that working in this setting.

You'll notice the small changes that Evil Dead (2013) has to make it collectively a different movie, but really the main thing that makes it stand out from the rest is GORE. I can't even begin to explain how excruciatingly painful it was to watch some of the bloodiest scenes in this movie. That's not to say that it's bad gore, it's glorious gore done right to where it'll make you uneasily shrivel up in disgust. It will definitely not appeal to everyone, for sure. To me, this is the main thing that makes Evil Dead (2013) special as opposed to the comically gory The Evil Dead (1981) and Evil Dead 2. Still excessive with copious amounts of blood, Evil Dead's (2013) gore is downright disgusting and as real as it could get.

It seems like I've praised this movie quite a lot, which would make my 3.5/5 rating not make much sense. Along with the underdeveloped cast, the main problem I had with Evil Dead (2013) was that it lack a charming lead to get behind. Jane Levy was good, but not she, or any of the other actors, were given much of a personality. Yes, it would be wrong to try to recreate Ash Williams, but this type of story needs someone like Ash to root for. Whoever is supposed to lead the story doesn't have to be sarcastic or cynical like Ash, but instead have some other sort of unique trait. It made my watching experience quite a bummer because there is no tension when you don't like your characters...

...up until the last 20-30 minutes. Yeah, chances are you've heard this before, but the last 20-30 minutes are absolutely insane, something that I didn't see coming in the way that it did. It's absolutely glorious, and really brings the story back to form of the original trilogy. Just for that scene, my rating grew by a half point.

Evil Dead (2013) is not a whole like The Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and obviously nothing at all like Army Of Darkness... and it's for the best. Though it suffers from its characters heavily, the use of gore and minor changes make it a different viewing experience for Evil Dead fans. So this brings up the remake existence question again; Is there a reason for this remake to exist and does it bring anything new to the table? In short, yes. It's not a perfect movie, or not even a great movie, but I think it fits comfortably into the Evil Dead franchise. I'm sad to say that I can't see myself buying it on blu-ray/watching it again, but I am glad I finally got around to watching it.

I give Evil Dead (2013) a 3.5 out of 5.