Evil Dead Reviews

• 2d ago

Do not compare this film with the original. If you have to, compare it with the avalanche of pg-13 remakes out there. The original is my all-time favorite horror movie and I am pretty sure nothing will change that because even if they manage to make a film as good as Evil Dead, I won't be 14 anymore when I see it. Surely this isn't a perfect movie. It has flaws, some of them are big in fact. For example, the very first scene was unnecessary and caused problems with the pacing. We all knew what will happen in that cabin so a slow build-up would be more suitable instead of a cold opening. I also think that they played with the audience who were wondering "Who will be the next Ash" a bit too much. That's why we saw characters who we presumed dead, saving the others from certain death just in the nick of time. And I must admit I was happy to see Shiloh Fernandez didn't make it in the end. He was pretty decent in Deadgirl but he almost ruined Evil Dead for me with his wooden performance. I know Bruce Campbell isn't the next Sir Laurence Olivier either, but at least, he has his unique style and charisma. Shiloh Fernandez has the ability to look exactly the same while saying hi to his sister and burying her alive. But in the end, I am glad that they didn't nerf it for younger audiences. It was brutal and nasty. The effects were great and Jane Levy was amazing. It will not be a future classic but it proved that a hard R horror movie can be profitable which gives me hope for the future of the genre.

• 3d ago

The chacters may be really dumb but as a remake of the original, it sure gets the job done and actually has a reason to exist.

• Apr 10, 2021

The characters are absolute idiots and this film does nothing to make us actually care about them. The single star is for the good special effects.

• Mar 29, 2021

A rock solid re-animated remake/resurrection that no one asked for, but most enjoyed. It's a grand thought to think that there has yet to be a bad Evil Dead movie, and you can't help but hope Lee Cronin doesn't drop the torch!

• Mar 24, 2021

I don't understand how this movie only has a 63% rating. I am a veteran of horror films I have seen them all. There is barely anything that can scare me. But when I saw this movie on the big screen it scared me shitless. I screamed so loud at certain scenes the date I was with lost every sort of respect for me. No pussy for me that night... It scared me so much I still can't watch it at night. And that's what horror films are all about right? So ignore this underrated above average rating and enjoy one of the scariest movies ever created!

• Mar 18, 2021

A volta às origens do primeiro filme de 1981, e ainda com atmosfera mais pesada. Terror raiz sem o humor pastelão das sequências do clássico.

• Mar 14, 2021

Loved it, a reboot/remake worthy of praise. Keeps to the basic premise of the first film, but with a different storyline. Some jump scares and palpable tension build up to a pretty spectacular finale that is literally drenched in gallons of blood. If gory movies aren't your jam, avoid, as it's not for those with a weak stomach.

• Feb 20, 2021

Gore for the sake of gore which is ultimately to the detriment of the story. Don't bother watching it, just stick on the original.

• Jan 21, 2021

this was okay could have done with out it , it is nothing to compare with the charm of the orignals but it was still good

• Jan 14, 2021

First watch: 2017 1 stars: Terrible boring reboot movie I've seen in a long time starring who cares. I hated the original evil dead but the sequels and the new tv show is way way better than this garbage that I just watched. I hate this movie, without the icon ash Williams you can't make an evil dead movie without ash. This reminds me of saw and I hated saw, too brutal for me. 2nd watch 2020 3.5 stars : This is the second time I’ve seen this I believe and it’s not a bad movie. It’s not great either because of one thing. The stupidity of characters in horror movies is so dumb to me and I want to see some smart horror movies like Us or candyman. I know it’s evil dead and evil dead is mostly known for being a comedy but this is a remake. It looks like it’s way different than the other movies by being more rated r and gory and I like that about this movie. The look is perfect for this movie. The budget seems very high and evil dead deserves that. But for me this movies writing is pretty bad. No character is memorable not even the main girl who is supposed to be the new ash but her name is Mia. She was barely in it. She was more of a villain than the main girl but she’s the only one who survives at the end SPOILERS. But it’s weird the kinda main character aka the brother of the main girl Mia is the main but just dies. None of the characters are likely or have personality like ash. I also wish they’re were more deadites like the other movies. But where this movie does shine is the gore and intensity. Like for example when the one girl who is in the woods and gets caught on the branches of the tree and the branches wrap like wrapping paper. That is pure gross and terrifying. Anyway this movie has the perfect intensity and gore but lacks characters. Maybe they make a sequel and learn from there previous mistakes. I’ll watch anything evil dead. Anyway in the end I recommend this movie but don’t eat during or before it because you’ll be sick.