The Expendables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Expendables Reviews

May 26, 2016
A decent action movie, but nowhere near great.
½ May 6, 2016
Has all the feels for the Sylvester Stallone cheesy action film and that can be sometimes good. Not at all special but the first of trio ain't all bad but not all good.
April 29, 2016
The director's cut is the way to go, but regardless of the script's inevitable shortcomings, Stallone's labor of love pet-project is a successful violent throwback to the far more potent action films of the '80's. Check your narrative and character development expectations at the door and get ready for R-rated action sequences that have been sorely missing from the superhero-movie-dominated cinemas of the 2000's and 2010's.
½ April 3, 2016
Silly, poorly written, but loads of fun, the movie is a big mess full of action, old stars, and explosions. The Expendables is a movie that I'd watch again, it could have been better though.
March 24, 2016
It's the greatest collaboration of Hollywood's macho men but together they only serve to highlight their undeniable flaws. Action sequences though decent are forgettable as part of a poorly acted, poorly composed bore-fest!
½ March 20, 2016
Another film with an all-star cast that obviously relied on its all-star cast. The title fits, this movie was "expendable."
March 15, 2016
There were MANY places where it could have been improved, but overall, it's a blast. Stallone's Director's Cut is much better.
February 29, 2016
Wow, this is pretty horrible. Low production quality at times. Poor writing. Indifferent acting. Was all the money literally spent on contracts?
½ February 8, 2016
What do you get if you bring all the bad ass action heroes into one movie? Answer is the expendables, a very watchable movie. The trouble is, with so many a-listers in one place, it's difficult to kill any of them off as they're all so used to playing the sole surviving victor. Having not watched a great deal of the films these guys star in, some of the names were less familiar to me, but despite being several different faces on screen, they all share an identical personality, with deep voices, bodies dosed up with steroids, and bitches always by their side. It's kind of like a macho version of bond, with less jokes, less cheese, but more violence. It's very mafia like, and about the only thing it is missing is Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. Having said that, there was one very corny scene with Terminator and Rambo in that became quite cringeworthy when it made references to Presidency and living life in the jungle, but I'll put that down to butch actors just attempting showing their witty side as a one off. Other than that, it was raw brute against brute in a beefcake fest to the death. It did well to give each star a good amount of screen time, with a great showcase of combat moves from wrestling to Kung fu. I'm surprised at how much I actually enjoyed this as I thought it would be all braun and no brains behind its direction, yet it kept me engaged throughout. Whether the movie itself was big enough to be labelled a success is debatable as I imagine it would have had to have taken a substantial amount of returns to fund the actors wages in this. Nevertheless, with my leisure head on as opposed to my business mind, this was a pretty recommendable production, where I would be only too happy to see the sequel.
January 15, 2016
A novelty film, the novelty being seeing all of these great action stars together in one big action film. Unfortunately, most of them are past their prime, and it's hard to share the spotlight. The action is great, but it just isn't enough to carry the film this time. The characters and plot just aren't developed enough.
January 9, 2016
This one is the epitome of the phrase 'does what it says on the tin'; you know exactly what you're getting into from the word go. Some of the barely there cameos could've honestly been excised altogether without really missing out on anything, but overall it was a fun little watch and will probably be one of those movies I find myself getting fished into on cable, just because it's a fun ride..

Plus it's amusing to see all these guys try to out-quirk one another for an entire film, so give that a look to see who's the corniest, as they all have their silly moments.

Give it a rental.
½ December 25, 2015
The Expendables rounds up a cast of action stars from the 90s era and puts them on a special mercenary squad. The squad features Stallone, Statham and Crews who are sent to an island to take on a corrupt general and rogue CIA operative. The Expendables is just what you expect, some fun action and your typical blockbuster. The movie really does not add much else and does not feature some of the other stars nearly as much as the trailer would have you believe. Like most movies with a popular cast, the film would not be even on the radar if not for the cast.
December 24, 2015
If you like the smell of anabolic steroids.
½ December 22, 2015
Have to agree, it should have been better with all that talent!
½ December 16, 2015
Great film for entertainment
½ December 12, 2015
A lot of sharp, masculine, bloody and often ridiculous fun. Although the acting and script are often a little weak, the magnitude of the fighting sequences and explosions outweigh the skimpy dialogue, making this guy's movie thoroughly entertaining.
½ December 5, 2015
A load of cliches with tar power does not a good movie make. Avoid. Not even stupid enough to be fun.
½ December 1, 2015
Close to 2.5. Better for the comic side that from the action, as expected, but not funny enough.
½ November 22, 2015
The Expendables is quite a "meh" flick the characters really don't hit the mark with the friendship aspect as the banter and dialogue often feels forced and out of place, the story is extremely cliched and has been done plenty of times granted it does have some entertaining moments with some great action.
½ November 18, 2015
This movie is embarrassing to watch. Some of them are worse than others. Some of these plastic tough guys, like Stallone. These guys are latent.