The Eyes of My Mother Reviews

• Sep 05, 2020

THE EYES OF MY MOTHER captures the tension of loneliness that all pays off in the final scene. It has its slasher qualities but, is delicate with that they show. With performances good to fit the subject matter, direction in this film is unique. The slow-burn of it all kinda roughs it up but It'll definitely stay with you for a while. Also, it may have poor rewatch ability due to the slow pace and the resolution at the end. But, with that above-average script and outstanding first time filmmaking, I can say that this was an interesting ride that got me a bit hooked.

• Aug 05, 2020

A stark, deeply disturbing, and an utterly unique brand of psychological horror. The colourless presentation makes the stunning imagery even more evocative and was a perfect choice for Nicolas Pesce's debut film and brings a timeless feel to the movie. The Eyes of My Mother doesn't deal with many themes, but the few that it does, (cyclical effects of trauma and the fear of isolation), is palpable and extremely effective.

• Jun 16, 2020

What was the purpose of such a crap horror sounds..... It was disgusting.... Not horror at all..... Worst movie. Waste.

• May 27, 2020

I feel like this movie might have been a metaphor or something... but I didn't get it. Regardless, it was still pretty entertaining. It's dark, disturbing, and confusing in mostly good ways. A little more tying together of a few pieces would have been appreciated as all the back story doesn't quite add up to the end result. Overall, this is a creepy flick that a horror fan (like me) will appreciate, but might be a little too much for a casual viewer

• May 15, 2020

Haunting, atmospheric dark tale in wonderful black-and white has a strong David Lynch-feel to it, but is just as disturbing in its own right.

• Mar 27, 2020

The only thing more disturbing than The Eyes of My Mother is the fact that no one's talking about it.

• Feb 21, 2020

David Lynch and Ingmar Bergman at their darkest might come close to the atmosphere of The Eyes of My Mother, Stephen King never will. A film that leaves you with the thought that God may very well be dead. A study in the horrors that true loneliness can spawn.

• Feb 19, 2020

One of the most disturbing and uncomfortable movie experiences for me in years. Perverse, yet completely morbidly plausible. I feel bad for this innocent child who grows up and later becomes isolated and accustomed to being twistedly fixated on her dead parents, then on to murdering senselessly. It just gets so, so much worse.. Kudos for disturbing me!

• Dec 12, 2019

Probably one of the most terrifying psychological thrillers I've ever seen. So many things you don't expect and don't even want to imagine could happen. I consider my self an amateur movie critic — I've watched almost everything scary on Netflix (hence checking this one out) and go to the movies usually every other week. Perfect, beautifully horrifying gothic portrayal.

• Nov 27, 2019

Do not recommend for the squeamish—I’m not usually squeamish at all but this one got to me really badly. I’m not really sure how I feel about The Eyes Of My Mother. I went into it having only seen one trailer, which admittedly was a little misleading, and what I got was pretty shocking. It was one of the most disturbing films I’ve ever seen and I’m not even sure it had enough merit to warrant the 76 minute long uneasiness and subsequent loss of appetite I felt. It was definitely a stylish film and the beautiful cinematography gets extra points out of me, but the substance present was very lacking. I would need to think very hard about this film to decide if I liked it or not, but after the trauma of watching, I have decided it is not a movie I’d like to think about ever again.