The Fall of the House of Usher Reviews

• May 13, 2019

Vincent Price is fantastic as Roderick Usher in this rollercoaster of a film. Rich colour, rich acting and in general just a rich plot. Mighty impressed they could stretch such a thin Poe story into this, but it was actually great!

• Feb 09, 2019

Didn't find it very interesting. Seemed to drag on at times. The concept was sound so may be it's the execution that was lacking. Wasn't very creepy or that tense. They did a great job on the look of the mom,

• Nov 03, 2018

The movies greatest strength, far and away, is the performance of Vincent Price. The man is hypnotic to watch. My god, I could watch this guy read the phone book and be completely enthralled. The lines he's reading aren't always amazingly written, but he always makes them sound like sheer poetry. He also brings a great amount of depth to a fairly simple story. His character isn't really a villain, at least he doesn't seem to see himself as one, more just an obstacle to the main character. The movie is also beautiful to look at with gothic scenery and lavish sets. The story, a loose adaptation of the Poe story, works fine for what it is, and while it doesn't hit many surprises it hits the point it needs to for this sort of story; it doesn't really hit the full creepy factor that Poe managed to get to though, which is probably the films greatest fault. It's a fine October movie, a gothic story with great atmosphere and an amazing performance from Price. What it lacks in story it more than makes up for in atmosphere.

• Michael M Super Reviewer
    Nov 03, 2018

• Mar 29, 2018

Melodramatic at first, but the creepy sets and filmmaking techniques create an hallucinatory experience that's haunting, claustrophobic, and tragic.

• Mar 25, 2018

Weird and a touch silly, but despite being a B-picture made by a B-studio, neither Roger Corman nor Richard Matheson treat the film as a disposable drive-in time-waster.

• Mar 13, 2018

It may only scare for the time, but Roger Corman knew how to build atmosphere with the limits he's been given. This is due to a well-written screenplay by Richard Matheson and great performances from the cast. Of course, Vincent Price is the star of the show once again dealing with death and his eccentricities bathed by the set design. We Look in astonishment as we see the house of usher fall to ruin in many ways.

• Oct 14, 2017

I gave this a revisit during my little Vincent Price marathon recently, and it holds up so very well. The scenery chewing by Price is just a delight, and these old potboiler/thriller type of films are a perfect way to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon. Well worth tracking down.

• Apr 04, 2017

The first of the legendary collaborations of Roger Corman and Vincent Price adapting Edgar Allan Poe stories, House of Usher is everything you could want in a lavishly Gothic B movie of the time. Price plays a great brooding master of the house, the set design is impressive, and the colors are sumptuous. It's a distinctly American take on the Hammer formula of richly painted Gothic elements. Some say this is the finest of the Corman-Poe cycle, I've only seen The Pit and the Pendulum otherwise, and I enjoyed that one more personally. This was a superb first step in the right direction for Corman, who never treated his admittedly low rent productions with anything but the utmost respect and care. He's a man to be admired.

• Nov 12, 2016

Terrific Roger Corman film based on the famous Edgar Allen Poe story. This was the first of Corman's cycle of Poe films for AIP. It looks a bit cheaper than the other films, but that's because ever frugal Corman re-used many of the props, sets, and costumes from this film in later films, so that each successive film in this cycle look increasingly grand. Vincent Price is terrific as the doomed Usher brother, worried about the family curse and the sanity of his sister. I was pretty young when I first watched this film on TV and the who buried alive thing really freaked me out in an awesome childhood scaring sort of way. Price is pretty campy, but this film is just great. It's certainly a low budget affair, but Corman milks the script,, actors, and sets for all their work to great effect. One of my favorites of the the Poe AIP pictures.