The Family That Preys Reviews

• May 31, 2018

I actually enjoyed this film and its message, it isn’t Perry’s best but fits in with his main talents.

• Dec 22, 2017

The Family that Preys is directed and written by Tyler Perry, and it stars Alfre Woodard, Kathy Bates, Sanaa Lathan, Rockmond Dunbar, and Taraji P. Henson in a drama film about two best friends that are spending time together having fun in their own time, while their sons and daughters are having issues financially wise, and either some people have ideas about work that'll not go through, or are doing shady things in the business company. I was curious about this film in that this is the second best reviewed film that Tyler Perry has directed and wrote, and I felt a need to record a lot of Tyler Perry films so that I'll be able to see what he's doing right, and what he's doing wrong. So for this film, I can say that this is tons better than the previous Tyler Perry film that I've seen which is Boo 2! A Madea Halloween. The acting in this is really good, especially Alfre Woodard and Kathy Bates as they are the best part of the film because their plot line is completely different from Tyler Perry's other films because all it is from them, is to hang out and have lots of fun together from road trips, making the best of their lives, and I find that very sweet, really interesting with drama moments that are actually earned while putting in humor that is really funny. Their plot line is basically a slice of life sort of ordeal that I would honestly see a film about how they build their friendship and kept growing it. It wouldn't be a masterpiece, but it sure would be a nice change of pace and be way more fun than his typical melodrama films, but not in an over the top way like his Madea films. Even the Christian aspects are surprisingly tamed in this, and are actually done in a way that gives an actually good idea of what a good Christian is suppose to act, it's just, man I wish it was only about them instead of the the other family plot line with how they act in a business or construction. Not that it ruined the film, it didn't, but it definitely was the weakest part of the film, and that plot-line did hurt the movie because it does have the typical Tyler Perry aspects such as the soap opera melodrama. It was a bit predictable, but what I wasn't expecting in this, was the Andrea character who is the worst part of the film to deal with. All she does is bicker and be a complete bitch to everybody she talks to, including her husband as I don't even understand why they were even married to begin with, or why even have a relationship with another person. The movie doesn't have a reason why she acts like that, and even if there was somewhat a reason from her backstory, that doesn't excuse the way she acts to everybody who doesn't deserve it. There were some satisfying moments that I enjoyed seeing many times on repeat, but they weren't enough for me to be ok with the Andrea character. Like I said, it didn't killed the film for me as I thought that plot line is meh at the very best, I was interested to see where it was going however, and there were enough of seeing Kathy Bates and Alfre Woodard together doing their own thing is enough for me to actually like this film, which is surprising to say that from Tyler Perry except for I Can Do Bad All by Myself.

• Dec 12, 2017

I really like the morale of the movie. However, it took me a while to get into it.

• Aug 16, 2015

Not bad, though not as visually exciting as Perry's other films. Great acting from the star actresses, though it becomes overshadowed by the constant family drama.

• Apr 23, 2015

When is Tyler Perry going to make part 2?

When is Tyler Perry going to make part 2?

• Dec 22, 2014

The critics need to seriously stop the racism now. This movie was excellent, excellent, excellent! Drama, suspense, with an interesting plot that kept you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Definitely well worth the money spent and one to add to your DVD collection!

• Aug 16, 2014

One of my favorite movies!

One of my favorite movies!

• Jul 03, 2014

the movie gripped my very soul. A wonderful tale about marriage, commitment, infidelity, and friendship

• Jun 24, 2013

The MEMORY in this CAMERA is FULL.

The MEMORY in this CAMERA is FULL.

• Jun 18, 2013

I absolutely loved this movie...this was one of r Perry's bests :)

I absolutely loved this movie...this was one of r Perry's bests :)