The Family Tree - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Family Tree Reviews

September 30, 2013
OK, all critics look hating it. I found it kinda funny however. A comedy form of "American Beauty".
½ December 3, 2012
The Family Tree is a movie that is such a formulaic crapfest it doesn't even deserve for me to take time out of my schedule to write-up this review of it as I already WASTED an hour and a half of my time trying to appreciate some aspect of it (Christina Hendricks is in it for all of 3 minutes in the first twelve and gone for the remainder). I couldn't find anything else here ... and I rarely say I "wasted" my time when talking about movies (I willingly watched the sequel to Garfield to review it for friends and family); but this IS time wasted. The movie takes so many swipes and swings at many hot-button topics (religion, sexuality, adultery and marriage) that it is all muddled and ridiculous. So much is thrown at this family of wretched individuals that the audience cannot even keep all of the stupid storylines straight -- none of it is reasonable or plausible. This might be one for those who want to "go back" to a nostalgic past of glory ... and this movie is everything that is wrong with that mindset.
December 2, 2012
Humorous and character rich. Enjoy!
October 20, 2012
The Family Tree is a good example of why I don't believe in allowing critics to decide which movies I decide which movies I will watch. If I judged on the basis of the reviews I read here, I wouldn't have viewed this one, and on a dark comedy level, I found it very amusing--far more so than the acclaimed Tree of Life, which took the same subject seriously. While the latter film had beautiful cinematography and some lovely lyric moments, it was also confusing and often boringly slow paced, whereas the former movie was entertaining throughout. And after all, aren't films supposed to be a form of entertainment?
LWOODS04
June 16, 2012
Cast: Dermot Mulroney, Hope Davis, Chi McBride, Max Thieriot, Brittany Robertson, Selma Blair, Keith Carradine, Bow Wow, Madeline Zima, Christina Hendricks, Jane Seymour

Director: Vivi Friedman

Summary: Finnish director Vivi Friedman makes her feature-film debut with this dark comedy about wife and mother Bunnie Burnett, who loses her memory and conveniently forgets all of her problems -- including her interracial affair with a neighbor.

My Thoughts: "This movie is pure chaotic fun. It's silly, insane, and funny. You can not take this film seriously. I mean the preacher is a gun-slinging pothead. The film in throwing up dysfunctional all over the place. So of course I loved it. The characters are a lot of fun. Definitely worth taking a look at if you like dark, dysfuctional, and quirky films."
½ May 27, 2012
this movie is just great i love all the different stories that are in that all come together as one movie
May 16, 2012
Jeez... how many of these suburban underbelly films are we going to have to watch? This one feels particularly paint-by-numbers -- start with middle-class angst, add some religious hypocrisy and racial tension, sprinkle in a bit of dirty, dirty sex, guns, and illicit drugs, and top it off with teenage kids coming of age in a haze of irony and snark. And for what?! Even despite the high production value and relatively good acting, there is absolutely no point to this film whatsoever.
½ May 14, 2012
Funny and silly stupid lol enjoyed it though..
April 28, 2012
This is one of those movies that no one ever hears about, which turns out to be not bad at all.
April 6, 2012
Just not a good film.
½ February 18, 2012
This was a very sappy movie that never seemed to go anywhere. In the end the previously dysfunctional family is happy together, but nothing profound happens that makes any sense.
February 7, 2012
Not the best movie I ever seen, but it was funny at times and I enjoyed watching it.
PantaOz
December 31, 2011
This film reminded me on my high-school days when we were looking for crazy and shallow movies with lots of funny situations in impossible surrounding... and they will still remind us on someone while raising a middle finger to all the "traditional values" which everyone is preaching...

The dysfunctional Burnett family - Bunnie, Jack and their twin 17 year olds Eric and Kelly - were perfect set up for that type of movies... especially when a freak accident leaves Bunnie with a case of amnesia! There are all kinds of twists in this comedy in which Burnetts get an unexpected second chance at happiness. We have a slew of past relationships, kids with guns, a suicidal lesbian teacher, a very zealous gun loving preacher, misinterpreted advances, corporate down-sizing, and one fateful squirrel... they together create enough mayhem to test the resolve, sanity and future of any family, and make you laugh - at least a little bit!
Cast includes Hope Davis (Bunnie Burnett), Dermot Mulroney (Jack Burnett), Max Thieriot (Eric Burnett), Britt Robertson (Kelly Burnett), Chi McBride (Simon Krebs), Evan Ross (Josh Krebs), Keith Carradine (Reverend Diggs), Madeline Zima (Mitzy Steinbacher) but most of the time they could not show what are they capable of under the director Vivi Friedman's leadership.
December 30, 2011
Crude comedy about a dysfunctional family never finds the funny. When a woman suffers a head injury during an intense sexual exploit with her black neighbor, she loses all of her recent memory. But encounters reveal that she had numerous sexual encounters preceding the accident. The most memorable moments are Chi McBride's bare butt in the opening scene (didn't say it was a good memory) and squirrel that plays a pivotal role. Definitely not recommended.
½ December 26, 2011
Hope Davis, Britt Robertson, Christina Hendricks, Gabrielle Anwar. Selma Blair, n last but not least Rachael Leigh-Cook
December 20, 2011
Like watching a music video. On mute.
December 16, 2011
This is an alright movie. Parts are very scattered while it tries to keep up with the bizarre moments that make the movie interesting. This could have been a lot better. The acting is pretty good for the most part. I personally liked Brittany Robertson's performance the most. Definitely worth the rent.
December 13, 2011
I like these dysfunctial family movies. This one has a great cast and is kinda funny I'll put it net to Running With Scissors in the DVDshelf.
½ December 9, 2011
Pretty darn awful.
Didn't know what it was going in...
½ December 6, 2011
Dermot Mulroney has not aged well and playing dads is seriously not his thing. LOL. As for Max Thieriot, bad choice of parts to play... I can't believe how much this movie sucks. I can only say one thing. Black... cheeks... LOL.