The Farewell Reviews

• 3d ago

The Farewell is a sweet, generational, and cultural humorous drama about a young, Chinese American New Yorker contesting her beloved grandmother's pending death. Billi (excellently performed with dramatic balance by comedian Awkwafina) is in disagreement with her parents, uncle, and aunts about withholding the terminal news from her grandmother Nia Nia. But she keeps her mouth shut with regret. The family wishes her farewell under the guise of Billi cousin's wedding, Nia Nia has no clue of her concealed death certificate. Yes, by cultural practice, let her be happy leaving us in three months, the family reasoned with Billi. But, as Lulu Wang's film reveals, that kind of objective is not so easy to carry out, testing loyalties, morals, and emotions. What is brilliantly contrasting with The Farewell from other comedies addressing death is that it does not mock its theme trying to garnish sick or thoughtless laughter. For a reason, The Farewell feels more realistic, and possibly for some audiences, saddening than it is funny. Yet, for me, it is intelligent, authentic, and the humor genuinely affecting. It may sense hidden. Wang's funny bone surfaces and tingles satisfactory thanks to her engaging narrative, direction, and marvelous performances from a talented, Asian cast. Shuzhen Zhao is wonderful as Nia Nia. The Farewell contains some bits of profanity, doses of tobacco puffing, a drunken man is briefly seen lying in his underwear, and there are, as noted above, thematic elements.

• 4d ago

I keep thinking about this movie almost a year later. It has such a rare combination of feeling very real, being incredibly funny, and still dealing with the heartache of having a loved one with a terminal illness. I've recommended this one to many people.

• 6d ago

Lovely but not as poignant to me as joy luck club was

Lovely but not as poignant to me as joy luck club was

• 6d ago

Not bad, but not the revelation some think it is.

Not bad, but not the revelation some think it is.

• Feb 18, 2020

Awkwafina shines in Lulu Wang's deeply moving and autobiographic The Farewell.

Awkwafina shines in Lulu Wang's deeply moving and autobiographic The Farewell.

• Feb 17, 2020

I adored this film. It portrayed the differences in East and West without judgment. Awquafina was incredible. But the story as powerful and asked some brilliant questions. The imagery was also meaningful. A definite recommended film!

• Feb 16, 2020

A fun and intelligent movie. It depicts topic of cultural interactions and its influence on identity and perceptions. Making it more essential with the question of "how do we manage our relationship with others in this diverse cultural space?". Your answer may be different than mine, or the conclusion of this movie, but it is a question that will stay debatable in history.

• Feb 15, 2020

'The Farewell' had a few unexpected twists that made it one of the more heartfelt films of the year. Littered with laughs and sprinkled with spirit, it's one of the few movies that explores death in this way. This type of feature has ben done plenty, but never quite like this. The more films that come from females the better, but one that comes from a person of color who shows that outside the box thinking for one culture could be a way of life for the other is especially important. The film is in Chinese and English and it's authentic not forced. Some really solid performances go along with a well-written screenplay make this a definite recommend. Final Score: 8.7/10

• Feb 15, 2020

As an Asian who grew up in a western society this film hit me harder than usual. It captures the cultural differences between the east and west so well. It's also the most realistic portrayal of the inside workings of Asian families that I've ever seen; unlike some other films that get it completely wrong (cough *Crazy Rich Asians*). The story is heartfelt and touching; and the themes/emotions are universal.

• Feb 15, 2020

Why such good reviews?? Soooo slow moving! Touching yes but frankly, kinda boring.