The Farewell Reviews

• Kimberly
    2h ago

It was so good. It was emotional, but surprisingly had a lot of action in it. Very cultural. A definite must see!

• Mirs
    4h ago

So good! Loved seeing Awkwafina play such an emotionally diverse role! Didnt feel like watching a movie.

• Ellen
    10h ago

I loved the way they tied in the culture, locations and family interaction to show you how each character had a different life experience that influenced their choices and views about family dynamics. I loved that the director gave time for you to empathize with each character and the dilemma they faced to tell or not to tell.

• Cameron
    15h ago

#thefarewell tells a compelling story about family choices. New York City girl Billi, played by the immensely skillful #awkwafina , travels to China to visit her ailing grandmother, Nai Nai. The catch here (for the western viewer): Nai Nai knows nothing of her fatal ailment Billi and co. remain secretive. That’s quite a challenge for Billi. Given that she’s mostly raised American, she feels a sense of guilt about the facade her and her family perform. Instead of fighting that battle, though, Billi bonds with Nai Nai, and cherishes and learns from her time with her. It’s beautifully crafted to make one reflect on their own family discourse, and where things inevitably go. (Side note: I learned how to play #mahjong this year, and I could tell that guy had a losing hand! ☺️)

• Robert C
    21h ago

It was an interesting movie. I do like the actress Akwafina.

It was an interesting movie. I do like the actress Akwafina.

• karen t
    1d ago

What a wonderful film, look inside Chinese culture profound topic

What a wonderful film, look inside Chinese culture profound topic

• Serena
    1d ago

Performance and plot was great but the background music could have been better.

Performance and plot was great but the background music could have been better.

• Vivien
    3d ago

I found it very moving. Awkwafina’s performance was great. Her emotions were true and raw. The comedic touches helped break up the sorrow... the ending was sad and happy.

• J. Y.
    3d ago

Original story!! Drama with comedy. Heartwarming story. Great acting by Akwafina!!

• jjaeyes