Reviews

• Jun 11, 2020

Few moves have had such an endemic long standing deep impact on my world view. I first saw this move in 2006, 14 years later I find myself still thinking about its profound world changing message.

• Jun 01, 2013

Bad casting. Vanessa Redgrave is playing a part that should be acted by a younger woman (just for it to make sense) The accents are all over the place. The unnamed country apparently had citizens that spoke both a slavic and a latin language. Where was the Redgrave character from? London? You know the city where they put up a big tree in the center at Christmas and people go skating in a famous skating rink... London right? So the politics were South American, the architecture and temperature was Easter European, the actors' accents were a crazy hodge-podge. The unnamed country must be on a different planet. The politics was of the "hit you over the head with a hammer" school. If Ayn Rand does that for the right-wingers, this movie does it for the lefties. I felt like, OK, I get it, stop hitting me on the head with your ideology hammer. I had to stop watching about 75% through because it was all the same (hammer). Then I went online and donated all my money to The People/The Revolution/The Poor. Now I have no money in my bank account. I guess I'll be homeless soon. Thanks Angelina, Vanessa and Michael!

• Apr 22, 2013

"Wherever there is great property there is great inequality. For one very rich man there must be at least five hundred poor, and the affluence of the few supposes the indigence of the many. The affluence of the rich excites the indignation of the poor, who are often both driven by want, and prompted by envy, to invade his possessions." ? Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations

• Mar 15, 2012

this film may be a mirror of the internal conflict and shock that could rock any cushy city person after a visit to societies filled with civil strife and poverty. perhaps for the "fortunate ones" like Redgrave, it is possible to argue our way out of gross discomfort. but for many others, our altered worldview demands assisting the marginalized because it is possible to make a small yet good difference. unfortunately, this rendition of Wallace Shawn's play still feels too much like a play. the monologues weren't always affective.

• Aug 15, 2011

Good movie but please don't call it an "Angelina Jolie" movie, please...

Good movie but please don't call it an "Angelina Jolie" movie, please...

• Apr 07, 2011

An 83-min monologue play that doesn't necessarily translate to screen with the same impact. The ideas presented stir up enough food for thought, and the ice-cream guilt trip was effective, but it's a pity that the whole film doesn't end up making a firm statement. Good acting from Redgrave though.

• Oct 17, 2010

Wow, this is heavy... Turning our back to all the suffering around, or

Wow, this is heavy... Turning our back to all the suffering around, or

• Joseph E Super Reviewer
    Apr 02, 2009

Couldn't help it, "Jolie" made me realize was so many of us look up to her, and believed in her acting abilities.

• Jan 13, 2009

Made me think. I'm not better, I don't have the right..

Made me think. I'm not better, I don't have the right..

• Jan 06, 2009

my comment: I don't get it...

my comment: I don't get it...