The Final Comedown Reviews

• Jul 30, 2018

the movie i saw had terrible dubbing problems. like, the actors mouth would move and then a second later you would hear their voice

• Bruce B Super Reviewer
    Jan 22, 2014

From The Blaxpolitation Triple Feature Collection put out by Diamond Entertainment, is a serious film about black revolutionaries and not really an action film. Billy Dee plays a young man fed up with racism who decides to take things into his own hands. It's fairly gritty and realistic without exploiting the characters but still it's not that interesting either and Billy Dee's character, though maltreated by white authority figures, doesn't really come off as sympathetic. It's also hurt by it's extremely low budget. Still, it's interesting to look at as it's a good depicttion of 1970s social issues. 2 Stars 7-12-04 (Updated)

• Aug 16, 2013

The Final Comedown is a surprisingly good blaxploitation film that I could actually take seriously. Unlike most other films of its kind, it actually works as a political film thanks to solid writing and strong performances from the cast. While the film can be hammy at times, it does succeed at what it aims to do. I was also surprised by how strange and surreal some of the imagery was, which gave the film a dreamlike quality at times. I think this is a very underrated film that is much better than expected.

• Oct 27, 2012

An angry Billy Dee Williams uses a gun to fight back on grim racial inequality in the early 1970's. Billy Dee lacks the style here that he would go on to showcase for years in his Colt 45 ads.

• Jan 25, 2011

An interesting experiment. Too experimental and didactic to really work as a movie.

• Feb 25, 2010

Most of the film centers on a ridiculous alleyway SWAT assault, hundreds of police rifles centered on Billy Dee Williams’ gut shot rebel. I can’t think of another movie with a higher body count (maybe Schwarzenegger’s Commando); there must be at least 40-50 people randomly killed over the course of the movie. The other part of the film is dealt out in flashback, various folks having to suffer through Billy Dee’s hate filled blather and I found myself having a real hard time feeling sorry for such an arrogant, idealess, one dimensional fool. I love young Billy Dee Williams and I wish films like The Take, Hit!, or Number One With A Bullet were available on DVD and I didn’t have to suffer through this mess to get my fix. Not VF.

• Cassandra M Super Reviewer
    Oct 16, 2009

This movie, as noted above, suffers from being overly preachy and inchoate. There's also a disturbing amount of "dead" footage that should have been left on the editing room floor. ** spoilers ahead ** Anyway, the core of the film revolves around Johnny Johnson's (Billy Dee Williams) desires to "stick to the man". Unfortunately, they never really do an adequate job of convincing the viewer (in my case anyway) that Johnny has it rough enough that he should foment a riot and kill people. Sure, he's passed over for a job that he's qualified for, and he's arrested by the cops for no reason... but other than that, his life seems to be pretty decent. In fact, he spends the majority of one day going to a party, dancing with a hot lady, going out to eat, buying some clothes, then making sweet love to the aforementioned lady. If that's indicative of "the man" keeping you down, then sign me up! The narrative is told via a largely confusing series of flashbacks that don't make a whole lot of sense -- primarily because a character will flashback to incidents/people that they weren't even a party to. For example, Luanna (Pamela Jones) asks Johnny to explain a comment he made during a conversation that she couldn't possibly been privy to. About half-way through the movie I simply stopped trying to make sense of it. Like most of the movies I comment on, I was hoping this was going to be in the "so good it's bad" category. While it was close, it falls short of true ineptitude... which is my way of saying the movie wasn't that bad (though it wasn't that good either).

• Aug 16, 2009

It's... ridiculous. It's very hard to follow, its plot is incompetent, the action is silly... but it's enjoyable, though for all the wrong reasons.

• May 09, 2009

• Jan 02, 2009

L.A.:n kaduilla käydään sissisotaa rasistipoliisien ja rotusorrosta tarpeekseen saaneiden mustien militanttien välillä. Billy Dee Williams on radikaali-liikkeen johtajana hyvä. Tämä on ihan ok yhteiskuntakriittinen bläkkis, mutta jatkuva white man vs. black man -asetelma ja sarjatulella käyvä hössötys tasa-arvosta alkaa loppua kohti pyörryttämään. Suurin osa leffastahan perustuu Williamsin henkilöhahmon takaumiin, jotka on toteutettu paikoin aika hienostikin. Grant Greenin soundtrack on myös kova. Joka tapauksessa joku Black Gestapo on kuitenkin tähän verrattuna ihan mestariteos.